Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Let's be positive

Enough of the doom and gloom 

When and not if we get sorted which of the young lads have impressed you

For me Edwards has stood out he looks confident on the ball and not afraid to put his foot in were it hurts think hes got a very good future in the game

Brockbank: A terrific player with a bright future. He's been the stand out for me.

Edwards: Similar to Brockbank. Well capable of being one of our first choice centre-backs.

Zouma: I'm not yet as convinced by him as some are, but he certainly appears to have enough about him to be in and around the first team set-up.

Politic: His potential is quite exciting and I'm very interested in what he'll be capable of with seniors players around him.

Darcy: Clearly has ability and is talented enough to offer something from the bench, but needs to develop physically before he can properly compete for a first team place, in my opinion.

Some of the youngest have shown that they might well be talented players in a few years' time (White, King-Harmes, Graham) but aren't at first team level yet. One thing that has impressed me, though, is that none of the youngsters are shy in speaking their mind on the pitch, which should stand them in good stead.

• Site Supporter

It was bloody great yesterday when all the youngsters came around the pitch at the end & reciprocated the applause..

Proper tear in the eye stuff

I think they're enjoying getting the chance to play rather than shrinking away after getting battered.

Hope for the future with the refreshing attitude and ability.

At the nadir but onwards & upwards we go!

I love watching the kids play, just the way they knock the ball about and refuse to launch it.  White is a real cool c ustomer but obviously lacks the pace and strength to stop the likes of that Ipswich full back marauding past him at will.  So in that respect he's no different to Andy Taylor.  Then White went off to be replaced by, I think, Boon and he looked even better.  It makes such a change to see composure on the ball in our fullbacks.  Brockbank is very composed, not unlike Rob Holding, but I was a bit disappointed with him yesterday.  He shouldnt really be looking out of his depth in Div 1 but he did yesterday, often caught in possession and weak.  Zouma is a breath of fresh air with his all action, fearless, never give up attitude.  Some players you want to see succeed at your club just because they bring something a bit more to the table, and he has hit, with plenty of rough edges.  Politic will be a class act at this level, I'd be happy with him and Lowe centre mid (Lowe cannot play centre back, he was poor yesterday but is out of position).  Being positive, we've seen a glimpse of what these lads can do and they should no longer be overlooked en masse now that we've not got Parky's style of play holding them back.  Sign half a dozen seniors who play like these lads play and bring it on.

5 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I thought Brown-Sterling looked to have a bit about him. Given time to develop properly, could be a real handful in a couple of years time

Agree thought he grew into the game yesterday and stood up better to the physicality as the game went on. Brockbank Edwards Darcy Polotic and Zouma have every chance of making it. One sublime pass from Darcy yesterday inside the fullback nearly led to something 

6 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Brockbank: A terrific player with a bright future. He's been the stand out for me.

Edwards: Similar to Brockbank. Well capable of being one of our first choice centre-backs.

Zouma: I'm not yet as convinced by him as some are, but he certainly appears to have enough about him to be in and around the first team set-up.

Politic: His potential is quite exciting and I'm very interested in what he'll be capable of with seniors players around him.

Darcy: Clearly has ability and is talented enough to offer something from the bench, but needs to develop physically before he can properly compete for a first team place, in my opinion.

Some of the youngest have shown that they might well be talented players in a few years' time (White, King-Harmes, Graham) but aren't at first team level yet. One thing that has impressed me, though, is that none of the youngsters are shy in speaking their mind on the pitch, which should stand them in good stead.

Agree with all of that but would add that the young keeper, was it Alexander? had a great game against Coventry and should get another chance should Matthews need a rest.

1 hour ago, enzo gambaro said:

Be as positive as you like, but it’s next to impossible to make a call on any of these kids. None of them look anywhere near Vela, Clough and Holding at this stage of their development, though they’d probably all benefit from some older heads (bodies?) around them. 

This is where I'm at as well, don't want to add more than that because might come across like being negative for the sake of it which it wouldn't  actually be.

They're doing what they can and doing it in a white shirt and outside of that everything will play out eventually.

• Site Supporter

Vela, Clough and Holding weren't hung out to dry like these. Individually, they all had great early games. These are kids, playing with kids. I was proud as punch seeing Darcy trying to rally the troops when 3, 4, and 5 went in.

We all know they aren't good enough. Might never be good enough but by fuck it feels great seeing 11 lads on that pitch living what I dreamt about many times kicking a sponge ball around in mum and dads hall way.

Hopefully it improves and quickly tho

6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Vela, Clough and Holding weren't hung out to dry like these. Individually, they all had great early games. These are kids, playing with kids. I was proud as punch seeing Darcy trying to rally the troops when 3, 4, and 5 went in.

We all know they aren't good enough. Might never be good enough but by fuck it feels great seeing 11 lads on that pitch living what I dreamt about many times kicking a sponge ball around in mum and dads hall way.

Hopefully it improves and quickly tho

Aye, I think we’re in agreement.

I wonder of it would have made a difference if Connell had stuck around as he would have featured and been comfortable at this level, but others have stepped up and done a decent job to the best of their current ability. These kids need time to develop both physically and  as players but this experience can only have done them the world of good and they will very clearly understand where they need to get to which will only benefit them on the journey ahead. Despite the maulings I still believe what I said before the season started i.e. that sacrificing this season for fast track youth development wouldn't be the worst approach to rebuilding on a tiny / non-existent budget. Supplementing it with a few quality loan players wouldn't hurt - just need to get the balance right and they must be quality like Gaz O'Neill to give them a proper education and a level to aspire to.

Brockbank, Zouma and Edwards are 20, 21 and 22. Its now or never for them, if they are going to make it as professionals 

Darcy and Politic at 18 and 19 likely have another year or two to develop physically 

Ive no problem watching them play every week this season, even if a takeover happens I’d be looking at other positions where we need to strengthen first 

Edited by birch-chorley