Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The wins against United

paulhanley

On 10/02/2023 at 11:01, Traf said:

Yeah, shame thousands missed it because they were "not going until he's sacked"

I missed it, as had moved abroad two months earlier. Seen all the others previously, including 1973/74, when, if memory serves me right, there was 37,000 on at Burnden. 20,000 of their lot!

On 10/02/2023 at 23:17, MickyD said:

My mum said same. He’d turn up on the club charabanc and find out the Bolton team. If Tommy Banks and (I think) Roy Hartle were named he’d pull out of Stoke team.

I asked Tommy about that years ago he was a neighbour of mine growing up and he said it wasn’t true he said also that Mathews was knocking on a bit by the late 50s in is 40s we’re they were in the prime 

I've seen all the modern ones, was supposed to go away in 79 but my dad stopped us going. The 78 home game, he got tickets off a military friend who he served with in Suez, him and 6 of them went and took me and their sons, when the trouble started, they had to protect us as we were only 7/8 year olds, they battered, and I mean battered the united lads who came at them (ex special forces, not really the ones to start a ruck with), and then got us out of burnden, he never took me again, but apart from the football side, this is the reason i despise them and take great joy when we beat them.

24 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I've seen all the modern ones, was supposed to go away in 79 but my dad stopped us going. The 78 home game, he got tickets off a military friend who he served with in Suez, him and 6 of them went and took me and their sons, when the trouble started, they had to protect us as we were only 7/8 year olds, they battered, and I mean battered the united lads who came at them (ex special forces, not really the ones to start a ruck with), and then got us out of burnden, he never took me again, but apart from the football side, this is the reason i despise them and take great joy when we beat them.

Never really heard much about any aggro in those late 70s games.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

The 1975 game was bad, Lever end wasn’t place for the feint hearted as I was only 10 went with older relative Man U fan and sat in burden seats but could see it all kicking off in lever end @athywhite1958was stretchered out, he’s mentioned it on here.. my dislike of them came from that day, the red army trashed everywhere that season. 

40 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The 1975 game was bad, Lever end wasn’t place for the feint hearted as I was only 10 went with older relative Man U fan and sat in burden seats but could see it all kicking off in lever end @athywhite1958was stretchered out, he’s mentioned it on here.. my dislike of them came from that day, the red army trashed everywhere that season. 

They got in the Lever End early and smashed the few who was in there. As Bolton numbers increased again they ran most out the ground - awful day. But they didn’t get the freedom on Black Sunday when Bolton were all along Manny Road early and they were trying to sneak into their end. I have hated them since the first game when they took the lever end

• Site Supporter

Went to the ManU home game. A mate sent his mum for tickets. About 7 or 8 of us, I was youngest at 13, the others would’ve been 15 or 16, went into Manchester on the morning of the game. For the life of me I never knew why because we ended up travelling back up to Bolton on the same train as thousands of DMBs.

We stood up all the way from Victoria to Bolton and had to pretend to be DMBs for our own safety. Lads were asking if anyone had spares and 4 of my mates cashed in and made a pound or two on kids’ tickets for the Lever End. Those of us who still had tickets made our way to the ground and it was bedlam inside the ground. I still remind them how they’d helped to create that mayhem. Wankers! I think of the 8 who started that day there’s only me still watching. Bigger wankers!

8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It was pretty hairy int Lever End

11 hours ago, gonzo said:

It was there for sure.

In those days the police hadn’t learned how to deal with the growing problem of trouble at the match and segregation wasn’t strictly adhered to.

Lost count of the away ends that we’ve ‘shared’ with rival teams, with running battles throughout the game.

Quite a few away fans tried to ‘take’ the Lever End, not many actually succeeded.

14 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

I asked Tommy about that years ago he was a neighbour of mine growing up and he said it wasn’t true he said also that Mathews was knocking on a bit by the late 50s in is 40s we’re they were in the prime 

It's a myth that I've heard repeated by my dad, father in law and other Wanderers fans of that age.  It certainly stuck, whoever came up with it.

14 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

Wasn’t there a game in the 50’s we we played a friendly for their new floodlights. And we battered them too

We played them 1956/57 in the first floodlit league match at old trafford - won 2-0

MANCHESTER UNITED v BOLTON 1st Floodlit game  1956/7 - Picture 1 of 1

we also played them in another "first" at the start of 1949 season when they returned to Old Trafford after their bombed out ground had been repaired - they had until then been playing at maine road

21 hours ago, gonzo said:

I can't speak for the away games. As I've said earlier in the thread I have fair memories of the 78/9 game when we won 3-0. I have a slightly better memory of the 79/80 game when we lost 1-3. 

I just don't remember any trouble in 78/9. My Dad and Uncle knew what they were doing and they'd have been away from Burnden quickly, avoiding the likely trouble spots. I can't believe there was absolutely nothing. Yet I've rarely if ever heard of people speak of any. 

In 79/80 I remember United being all over the Embankment early on. I have a distinct recollection of three or four of them somehow getting through or over the perimeter fence. They got up to a spot on the touchline, half way between the goalposts and the Manny Road/Embankment corner flag.  Bizarrely they lay on their backs waving their legs around in the air. Old Bill carted them off. I've mentioned on here before that I have a very strong memory of loads of United being in the Manny Road North terrace. Indeed when Neil Whatmore scored the opening goal for us, the Bolton fans in the stand directly above were pouring derision down on the gathering of the braindead below. It became rather heated but I don't recall punches thrown. The 79/80 season was a little before a section of Bolton's more volatile support de-camped to the Manny Road North so the scenario is not quite so implausible as it sounds. Then at the end of the game I recall United's fans being kept in the Embankment but the ominous sound of "Hark now hear United sing the Bolton ran away" emanating from inside the ground as we all walked across the forecourt and up the Manny Road.

You have to remember that this game was towards the end of 79/80, our gates had shrunk and everybody knew we were relegated even if it wasn't mathematically certain ... so numbers of home fans were not as big as would often be the case v the rags at home.

Sorry ... this thread was meant to be about our wins over the bastards.

10 hours ago, paulhanley said:

In 79/80 I remember United being all over the Embankment early on. I have a distinct recollection of three or four of them somehow getting through or over the perimeter fence. They got up to a spot on the touchline, half way between the goalposts and the Manny Road/Embankment corner flag.  Bizarrely they lay on their backs waving their legs around in the air. Old Bill carted them off. I've men

You have to remember that this game was towards the end of 79/80, our gates had shrunk and everybody knew we were relegated even if it wasn't mathematically certain ... so numbers of home fans were not as big as would often be the case v the rags at home.

Sorry ... this thread was meant to be about our wins over the bastards.

Yeh, I remember thinking there was at least 15k of them there for that 1980 game. Checked the crowd and it was just shy of 32k, so our last ever 30k+ home game. Remember watching from the Paddock as the police tried to pen them in on the Embankment and for a brief bit their overspill had a gate open from which carnage would have ensued if they'd breached it and made towards the Paddock.

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Yeh, I remember thinking there was at least 15k of them there for that 1980 game. Checked the crowd and it was just shy of 32k, so our last ever 30k+ home game. Remember watching from the Paddock as the police tried to pen them in on the Embankment and for a brief bit their overspill had a gate open from which carnage would have ensued if they'd breached it and made towards the Paddock.

It was a tough day. Given our gates at the time you'd have to say there were probably in excess of the 15K United fans. I'm just too young to remember the whole day properly.