Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The wins against United

paulhanley

39 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Anyone go to the Jim Headridge (?) testimonial at OT where we came back from 2 down to get a draw? Simon Rudge got them both I think.

Can’t remember if I went but it’s very likely I did…. Anyhow this is good article about Headridge didn’t realise he died soon after leaving Bolton for Man U. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-jimmy-headrige-tribute-21214885

Bit of a Jonah at OT , attended four won none lost three drawn one (Bob Taylor)

I lived in the midlands at the time of the 2-1 & 3-0 victories the latter was a Dec Friday night fixture & was the day of our works Xmas piss-up .Got home around 10pm absolutely hammered not being able to get the result ie no mobiles in them days plus all my Bolton mates were at the match & promptly fell asleep in the chair much to my wife’s displeasure .My recollection was waking up & seeing the result at the end of News at Ten 3-0 to the whites which prompted me to jump up off the chair with arms raised but collapse in a drunken heap on the floor.

Woke up in the morning with mega hangover before the ‘result’ flickered in my head .The wife wouldn’t speak to me or confirm the result .I began to think that it was a dream following my inebriation, so without further ado ran / stumbled down to the newsagents for some confirmation.

Never was a hangover better cured.

Ps. Sort of ironic that one of our most despised managers delivered us a home victory against the rags.

• Members

All been said before but the 2-1 at the theatre of dweebs with the Frankie double. Never been as excited in my life and actually blacked out for a couple of minutes after the second one went in. Had waited all my life to see us stuff those bastards and couldn't actually believe what I was seeing.

I was beside the directors box with a great mate whose dad was the BWFC secretary and got us tickets (Yes R, you know of who I speak). The banter once I came round was the most delicious banter in which I have ever engaged :D One hoity toity type, presumably from Cheshire, lashed out at me with her mink stole!

I think I was still buzzing 3 weeks later!

Edited by bolty58

The 3-0. What wouldn't I pay to see some highlights again. Said it before, but back then even before DH and formal commentary coverage (if his could be called "formal"!) I can't believe there wasn't some record taken, something that would appear as a news snippet in the following days. Maybe I dreamt it, but I'm sure even back then there would be someone up in the box on top of the Manny Road making a recording?

19 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

The 3-0. What wouldn't I pay to see some highlights again. Said it before, but back then even before DH and formal commentary coverage (if his could be called "formal"!) I can't believe there wasn't some record taken, something that would appear as a news snippet in the following days. Maybe I dreamt it, but I'm sure even back then there would be someone up in the box on top of the Manny Road making a recording?

I am sure the club were recording matches back then, perhaps it got lost, you would of thought that Granada might of also recorded the match, sad that it seems lost in time, would love to see it though as it would rekindle my blank memory as all I can recall is going to my mates house pre-match then nothing else from leaving his house.

25 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I am sure the club were recording matches back then, perhaps it got lost, you would of thought that Granada might of also recorded the match, sad that it seems lost in time, would love to see it though as it would rekindle my blank memory as all I can recall is going to my mates house pre-match then nothing else from leaving his house.

Interesting to note we more than held our own on attendances that year, coming 12/22 and only 600 on average below Chelsea 

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-1978-1979/1/

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Wonder why it was on a Friday?

Were there Saturday matches the next day?

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I know memories plays tricks on us all, but I am sure I remember Bob Greaves reporting on it and watching grainy footage. Think he was a big red and seemed bemused that we could have battered them

15 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Wonder why it was on a Friday?

Were there Saturday matches the next day?

The next day was the last shopping day before Christmas and from memory it was moved at the request of local traders and the police 

Don't think there was much bother at that  friday night game as a lot of the United fans had drifted away before the end of the game. 

One memory from the away at OT that season - we had gone on United season tickets in the stand opposite where the tv cameras are always located  (what is now the north stand) and were sat right at the front of the stand near to the penalty area with a great view over the massed ranks of the stretford end.

We had sat on our hands when we had scored our first but completely forgot where we were when we got the winner at the death - and leapt up to celebrate - as we calmed down the stretford end is singing " your going to get your f***** heads kicked in " with many arms pointing in our general direction. 

We made a stealthy and rapid exit into the night !!

One thing I do remember talking to my dad was him saying he’d been to home and away games against Utd in consecutive days. Just googled it and it was 25th/26th Dec 1946. He was just back from RAF service in Gibraltar and N Africa in WW2 at that point. He did say that post war, folk were giddy as fuck for years at being able to see footy again. The other thing that he used to talk about was how folk would travel to see the “superstars” of the time no matter who they played for. Contributing factor to the Burnden disaster because Matthews was playing. Despite his hatred of Man U he would go and watch them if they were playing near where he lived at the time if Duncan Edwards was playing. Always said that he was the best player that he had ever seen and never shifted that opinion 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

One thing I do remember talking to my dad was him saying he’d been to home and away games against Utd in consecutive days. Just googled it and it was 25th/26th Dec 1946. He was just back from RAF service in Gibraltar and N Africa in WW2 at that point. He did say that post war, folk were giddy as fuck for years at being able to see footy again. The other thing that he used to talk about was how folk would travel to see the “superstars” of the time no matter who they played for. Contributing factor to the Burnden disaster because Matthews was playing. Despite his hatred of Man U he would go and watch them if they were playing near where he lived at the time if Duncan Edwards was playing. Always said that he was the best player that he had ever seen and never shifted that opinion 

My grandad always said that Duncan Edwards was potentially the best ever.

Also rated Finney way above Matthews. He was scathing about the way that the press fawned over Matthews in the ‘53 final when he was mostly up against an injured left back and a team with 10 men.

33 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Also rated Finney way above Matthews. He was scathing about the way that the press fawned over Matthews in the ‘53 final when he was mostly up against an injured left back and a team with 10 men.

Mi Dad told me that Matthews rarely played against Bolton, because of our full backs.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Mi Dad told me that Matthews rarely played against Bolton, because of our full backs.

My mum said same. He’d turn up on the club charabanc and find out the Bolton team. If Tommy Banks and (I think) Roy Hartle were named he’d pull out of Stoke team.

52 minutes ago, Steejay said:

My dad played for Lancashire Youth in the same team as Finney. He was a centre forward in the Nat mould and said that Finney was the best winger he’d ever seen. Amazing ability to simply put it on in my dads head from the wing.

My dad was at the 53 final as well as 58. He was a mild man. A proper gentleman. But talk to him about that game it was like talking to him about Louis Edwards. A right rocket up his arse. Matthews was terrified of Bolton.  He accepted the fact that we lost and rightly recognised that it was the Mortenson final. 

My Dad says the same about Duncan Edwards. He must have been some player for Bolton fans who have a dislike of United matched by so few to have that opinion and stick to it like glue. 

Grandfathers and Dad both said the same about Finney and Matthews too - and about their fortune in the 53 Cup Final. If anybody from Blackpool should have had the glory it was Stan Mortensen - that was the consensus among that generation. Anyway ... in this thread lets concentrate on 58 more than 53.

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

My Dad says the same about Duncan Edwards. He must have been some player for Bolton fans who have a dislike of United matched by so few to have that opinion and stick to it like glue. 

Grandfathers and Dad both said the same about Finney and Matthews too - and about their fortune in the 53 Cup Final. If anybody from Blackpool should have had the glory it was Stan Mortensen - that was the consensus among that generation. Anyway ... in this thread lets concentrate on 58 more than 53.

His cousin was Dennis Stevens who played in our 1958 cup final win. That must have been emotional for him. 

On 09/02/2023 at 15:11, nantwichwhite said:

Remember the 3-0 as clear as yesterday, what a night, atmosphere, the ultimate Christmas present. Reidy and Worthington dominated.

Was in corporate the the 2-1 win, I think we broke a premiership record that day too, the first team to win there, whilst going one nil down. At the time Ferguson was the first to start squad rotation and before the game they were taking the piss saying that they were putting out the kids again. Fantastic afterwards, my mate who got me the tickets (an old time Herford fan) phoned his boss, held it up towards the Bolton fans and told him that those are Bolton fans singing you Munich Bastard.

Another game I loved there, was not a win, the Fa Cup loss 1-0. Our following that day was magnificent.

10,000 whites there, me included! Think Mark Hughes scored 80th min?