Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wembley plans for day

Ani

We are car drop at Stanmore (4 stops  North of Wembley) then tube in, so central pre game isn’t an option.  

Other than The Torch, any other pub recommendations our side of the ground?  

Looking for atmosphere but without the kids and Fat Frank if possible… which I appreciate is a tough ask

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Le Howfen said:

We are car drop at Stanmore (4 stops  North of Wembley) then tube in, so central pre game isn’t an option.  

Looking for atmosphere but without the kids and Fat Frank if possible… which I appreciate is a tough ask

You do know you can get off after Wembley on your journey from where you park don’t you?

2 hours ago, Le Howfen said:

What's parking like at Stanmore? Never done it before as the trains from th'east midlands tended to run. But that day (and the Saturday) it's two replacement buses due to engineering 🤬

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

You do know you can get off after Wembley on your journey from where you park don’t you?

Yep. Well aware of how a train line works thanks 👍🏼

Not wanting to double back on ourselves adding further travel time is an obvious detractor to that idea 

10 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

What's parking like at Stanmore? Never done it before as the trains from th'east midlands tended to run. But that day (and the Saturday) it's two replacement buses due to engineering 🤬

Not gone this route before either sorry but I know it’s a popular choice for England games for those travelling from up North due to M1 proximity. Car park looks massive on Google Maps but apparently fills quickly on match days. If you’re aiming for a morning arrival I can’t see any issues. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

It’s I dump with overpriced pee as ale

3 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

In to Paddington about half 9. Tube to Baker Street. Spoons is open. In there then trot over the road to the globe at 11. Stay there, tube to Wembley about 1:50 

It was for this reason I wasn’t sure. I’ve been tooing and froing over the Baker Street option and The Torch. I quite like the idea of getting to Wembley early soaking up the atmosphere but overpriced beer is off-putting…

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Le Howfen said:

Yep. Well aware of how a train line works thanks 👍🏼

Not wanting to double back on ourselves adding further travel time is an obvious detractor to that idea 

So you only ever travel in one direction? You’re unwilling to stay on the tube for an extra stop or two, have a beer with like-minded fans then back up the line to Wembley? 

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

So you only ever travel in one direction? You’re unwilling to stay on the tube for an extra stop or two, have a beer with like-minded fans then back up the line to Wembley? 

My question was “any other pub recommendations our side of the ground?”

If you are travelling down by train or down the weekend, Baker St absolutely makes sense. It doesn’t work for us car day trippers (said the committee) and it’s really not a big deal. 

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I used the Stanmore car park for the Charlton game end of Jan.  Parked up Fri afternoon, picked the car up again on Sunday afternoon and it cost £12 in total.  The car park's big, around 500 cars and right next to the station, about 5 mins off the M1.  Watch out for works on the tube line.  On the Sunday when we were heading back, the line back to Stanmore was closed from around the Wembley area - surely they can't do that next Sunday, can they???

3 minutes ago, Meite White said:

I used the Stanmore car park for the Charlton game end of Jan.  Parked up Fri afternoon, picked the car up again on Sunday afternoon and it cost £12 in total.  The car park's big, around 500 cars and right next to the station, about 5 mins off the M1.  Watch out for works on the tube line.  On the Sunday when we were heading back, the line back to Stanmore was closed from around the Wembley area - surely they can't do that next Sunday, can they???

TFL website shows all planned closures

Not exactly a regular poster, but often stalking (on the site I should add), I’ll be around Baker St with the boy (12) - will many of you have young ‘uns with you?

I’m flying over from France for the match, would be great to see a few other not rights 😉 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

To be fair it's and additional 1 hour plus to get into central London and back

Time be much better spent outside a pub in Wembley 

He's with his mates so doesn't need to look for like minded fans either

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Yes, known him since primary school days. Lovely fella

Yeah top lad is Boothy mate. Know him as mate of mine is manager of dart player Stephen Bunting and does darts exhibitions so help doing them and met him via that. When he heard I was running London Landmarks he messaged me to say he was MCing it. Small world pal. 

10 hours ago, desperado said:

It was for this reason I wasn’t sure. I’ve been tooing and froing over the Baker Street option and The Torch. I quite like the idea of getting to Wembley early soaking up the atmosphere but overpriced beer is off-putting…

On previous visits places like the Torch have been ok but we had decent weather and you could grab beers from the offy, now it seems much stricter around the ground and serving stops early also it’s forecasted rain😀

get yourself to Baker Street 

Although we are down early (before 11 for a 3pm kick off) we do want to be up at Wembley quite early so just keen not to waste time trying to find somewhere, as we have a couple of kids with us means do not want a shit hole either