Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New TV Deal

globaldiver

11 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Yeah, it’s not the best but games seem pretty much everyday now last week there was prem games Monday -Thursday 

The clubs would be mad not to take the money but it screws the fans over.

We take about 90 minutes to get over to a home game on a Saturday. I do not work so night games not too bad. But only because we are driving. Away days when you have a drink will become hard work. The odd disruption happens like Charlton away but that will be virtually every other away game. Can not see me going to Peterborough,Cambridge, etc etc for 12:30 kick offs. 

Having watched a lot of League One football last year how Sky justify spending that much for the deal is beyond me. Most games are crap, how many are going to subscribe just to watch games that attract about 4K fans ? 

46 minutes ago, Ani said:

The clubs would be mad not to take the money but it screws the fans over.

We take about 90 minutes to get over to a home game on a Saturday. I do not work so night games not too bad. But only because we are driving. Away days when you have a drink will become hard work. The odd disruption happens like Charlton away but that will be virtually every other away game. Can not see me going to Peterborough,Cambridge, etc etc for 12:30 kick offs. 

Having watched a lot of League One football last year how Sky justify spending that much for the deal is beyond me. Most games are crap, how many are going to subscribe just to watch games that attract about 4K fans ? 

Folk will be more selective and surely clubs won’t charge stupid prices especially championship still many £32-£35 for away fans.

Screwing the fans who go absolutely 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Changing to a shorter "quickfire" goals show with a pitch side presenter rather than studio based, and no pundits.

That's a shame. I really like that show, particularly if we've won and it was easy enough to fast forward through all the Blackburn and Wigan 'highlights'

27 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That's a shame. I really like that show, particularly if we've won and it was easy enough to fast forward through all the Blackburn and Wigan 'highlights'

Yeah, same. Not sure why they felt the need to tinker.

• Moderators

Just do back to the endsleigh league round up format 

Highlights only but with Gabriel Clarke presenting from one game where you can a feature on that club 

Monday night at 1am so you have to record it 

But that's ok as you don't want to watch the other leagues anyway 

Our game v west ham in the league cup is in there whilst sneekes is up for goal of the month

7 minutes ago, Zico said:

Highlights only but with Gabriel Clarke presenting from one game where you can a feature on that club 

Our game v west ham in the league cup is in there whilst sneekes is up for goal of the month

That theme tune was an earworm in my head for about 6 years when I was first getting into football, and that part of the montage where the ball gets stuck in the stanchion!

Edited by Marc505

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

That theme tune was an earworm in my head for about 6 years when I was first getting into football, and that part of the montage where the ball gets stuck in the stanchion!

I don't remember that them tune at all 

I only remember this one 

I guess they changed it when it went from endsleigh to nationwide?

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Top night/day that West Ham game, loads of us got in the Boleyn arms early, locals weren’t to pleased, very shady as kick off approached, as  WH were doing work on the stadium no segregation, on the row next to us 2 West Ham fans looked like Frank Bruno twins, shared refreshment facilities down stairs inevitably led to some shenanigans, as for the 90 minutes we played them off the park, luckily the Bruno twins seen enough and baled with 10 minutes left, got back to the van parked in an area I could only describe as Nelson Mandela house… all tyres had been let down, thankfully whoever did it didn’t fancy challenging 2 van loads of not rights full of ale. What a day/night. 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I only remember this one 

That’s the one I remember. Part of my route to programme the Video Plus every week.

Before I was old enough to be allowed to go to games, it was ace how many times we’d be live on Granada on a Sunday afternoon. I’d probably moan about it these days. 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I only remember this one 

And weirdly I don't remember the second one! I think we might have got Sky around that point so was less need to Video+ the highlights at 3.30am on a Monday night or whenever it was.

Gutted about them f****** around with the EFL show. It was bad enough when it switched from Quest to ITV and they brought in the muppet presenters instead of the Irish lad who was enthusiastic (and I suspect a closet Wanderer) but to cut it back to goals only is a travesty.

A lot of the footage they've already paid to make will not be shown and it would cost them nothing to provide a longer, more detailed show. Goals are great but what about bits of skill, nice team passages of play, near misses, great bits of defending, good saves etc etc? I have no problem with dropping the (dubious) analysis but why not fill that time with more action?

the irish radio one dj presents countdown now as well. 

this always makes me laugh from a football tv theme music eye. even though its not from a football show. 

Edited by e2e4
types

I reckon it's all about production cost. Got a friend who's ITK on these things 

They have to hire the Studio with a Gallery, and a much larger team to produce the segments in  between the action.

3 Cameras - one for close ups of presenter and pundit, one for 'long' shots.

More people presenting means more takes and more editing time

Longer segments rather than just goals only means more editing time.

OB with 1 presenter, 1 camera and 1 sound engineer with the production team working remotely could easily save around 10k per show, x46 = half a million quid. That's why they are doing it

6 hours ago, Gonk said:

I reckon it's all about production cost. Got a friend who's ITK on these things 

They have to hire the Studio with a Gallery, and a much larger team to produce the segments in  between the action.

3 Cameras - one for close ups of presenter and pundit, one for 'long' shots.

More people presenting means more takes and more editing time

Longer segments rather than just goals only means more editing time.

OB with 1 presenter, 1 camera and 1 sound engineer with the production team working remotely could easily save around 10k per show, x46 = half a million quid. That's why they are doing it

PEASANTS