Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Blackpool

gonzo

Not the best performance but a brilliant win especially considering our form against any of our rivals over the last few years. 

Santos superb again, I’d be amazed if there’s a better centre back in league one. Maghoma is a great addition also .

Only negative for me was Victor, I just don’t know what he offers. Can’t shoot, can’t pass, can’t hold the ball up, doesn’t win headers. The difference between him and Bodvarsson is night and day. 

1 hour ago, Stig said:

Good shout on Maghoma, he had a great game, especially first half when everyone else was a bit poor

We all see it different but Sheehan and Santos were outstanding 1st half, Maghoma decent but lacked their consistency, a few things didn't come off and passing was hit and miss unlike the other 2 who refused to cough up possession.

Great f*cking result, big three points & kept the run going. Tough game but got there in the end, much better in the second half as we grew into the game & seemed to tire them. Unbelievable strike from Thomason, fair fucking play & hopefully he starts doing it more often because he picks up some very good positions. Maghoma absolute class act for the majority, if we're willing to invest in Dan/Vic then Paris is a no brainer if possible he has a bit of everything as a centre mid & could develop into a real asset under our regime. Bod has made a huge difference the past two games now with his composure on the ball, link up & hold up play which was very much needed given Vic's been getting bullied out there recently. Ref was a bit of a prick, let Norburn kick the shit out of Sheehan & co first half to no punishment then starts banding the cards out to us like no tomorrow.

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Got a big smile on my face tonight and suspect most Bolton fans above about 45 feel something extra to the normal joy of a home win.

Loads has been said about the game and the performance, the momentum we're building and the league table. Agree with it all. 

There's also been a fair bit said about a win in front of a big crowd in a home match at last.

All that stuff is significant but to me, recording our first win over a traditional Lancs rival (don't count Fleetwood, Morecambe, Salford, Accy) feels like yet another milestone moment in the comeback from the Anderson debacle. It also feels like the club have partially made up for that fiasco v Wigan in August.

Worth saying we keep up this incredible 37 year/15 league and cup match unbeaten home record v Blackpool. Now for trying to end our 46 years without a win at Bloomfield later in the season. 

Onwards and upwards. Chuffed.

Good stuff, well pleased for you knowing how much you wanted that.  If others just see that as the same 3 points as Northampton that's upto them, but today's game, goal and atmosphere (2nd half) is a memory that will last a while, we could finish 1st or 10th but surely enjoying a game and occasion has to be part of any season.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Brilliant win that, yet another that you could file under ‘wouldn’t have won last year’.

They looked a decent team and I don’t think we were anywhere near our best, other than Santos I don’t think anyone had a great game. In parts, Sheehan and Maghoma did some nice stuff but I also thought they gave the ball away too much and didn’t really get a grip of midfield

I thought Sheehan bossed midfield for large parts of the game, especially 1st half when he was running it for us (and Dembele was running it for them).  I hardly saw him give the ball away at all.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Never thought I’d say this but George Thomason is mint. 

On 21st January, 2021 I sent a message to my cousin- within the conversation we talked about football, and I wrote this.

"We've got a young kid called George Thomason- he runs as if his head weighs 4 stone- but he has so much composure and a great left foot, his passing is exquisite. Plenty to do yet, but could be a bit of a star in the future."

He's proving me right!

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I thought Sheehan bossed midfield for large parts of the game, especially 1st half when he was running it for us (and Dembele was running it for them).  I hardly saw him give the ball away at all.

2 biggest changes of the 2nd half both involved Dembele he drifted out of the game and as such we stopped tripping him him up and giving away soft free kicks.

38 minutes ago, CumbrianWhite said:

Not the best performance but a brilliant win especially considering our form against any of our rivals over the last few years. 

Just playing devil's advocate, but which was our best performance this season?  For me that was our best at home, and possibly home or away.  Baxter untroubled and deserved to both win and keep a clean sheet.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just playing devil's advocate, but which was our best performance this season?  For me that was our best at home, and possibly home or away.  Baxter untroubled and deserved to both win and keep a clean sheet.

I think the better ones are those where most of the opposition supporters are already on their way home, their team three or four goals down. They’re much better than those like today’s where, irrespective of their shots on target equalling a big fat fuck all, they were a lucky pass away from equalising.

43 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'd say Derby at home was a better all round performance, dominated the first half on 11 v 11 and crucially we were much quicker getting the ball from Santos and Sheehan to the attacking players (not having a go at those 2, more the lack of options for them today in the first half). Second half hard to compare

Edited by Stig

1 minute ago, Stig said:

I'd say Derby at home was a better all round performance, dominated the first half on 11 v 11 and crucially we were much quicker getting the ball from Santos and Sheehan to the attacking players (not having a go at those 2, more the lack of options for them today)

I disagree.  Didn't dominate the 1st half, lucky to be 1-1 for me.  Incorrect sending off changed the game and like Peterboro meant the game couldn't be judged properly.  Never looked like scoring v 10 men but got an OG to win it.  We did what we had to, but a win v 10 men where the goals are a pen and OG surely can't be our best performance of season?

A fairly even 1st half, B/pool aren't bad & will probably will finish in the top 6

but 2nd half we got on top of them with Sheehan becoming more & more influential & Thommo getting better & better, rounded off with a belting hit for his goal. A deserved win in the end.

The ref was poor, card happy with us but let them try to kick Sheehan out of the game.

Bod did well when he came on but had the advantage of playing against tiring defenders thanks to the work of Charles AND Vic.

MOTM between Sheehan, Thomason & Santos, who was too good for Rhodes.

43 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I think the better ones are those where most of the opposition supporters are already on their way home, their team three or four goals down. They’re much better than those like today’s where, irrespective of their shots on target equalling a big fat fuck all, they were a lucky pass away from equalising.

Fair enough.  So Lincoln, Cheltenham and Fleetwood.  I suppose today just felt better for me because the opposition was a step up.

3 hours ago, Matt Lofthouse said:

Loved that today. Shit first half but all us 2nd. Santos completely dictates the pace of the game, which just felt too slow today, but zero fucks we beat a local team finally which is a monkey off our back. 

The first half wasn't shit . The players were carrying out instructions.  Not to go " gungho " and leave the back door open . Blackpool were a league above us last season and at times it showed .

Evatts tactics payed off , substitutions spot on .

That goal  was unbelievable. 

He will never hit a ball more sweetly. 

Roll on Tuesday. 

And we continue in the same fashion against Exeter in 2 weeks time

3 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Bod did well when he came on but had the advantage of playing against tiring defenders thanks to the work of Charles AND Vic.

MOTM between Sheehan, Thomason & Santos, who was too good for Rhodes.

Agree re MOM, happy for any of them to get it.

Bod controlling a football and running with it intelligently, or rising high enough to win a header, is nothing to do with tiring defenders, its just about having footballing ability.