Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton Town (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

19 minutes ago, L/H White said:

CMG isn't the first player Evatts signed that doesn't fit into his 'system'

Perhaps Evatt bringing players in to be able to play a different system if needed… you know like  a plan B… like yesterday. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m probably trying to be too complimentary to all concerned but I think JDB has too much finesse in situations such as today where all we wanted was a big lump up top to create chaos and keep hold of the ball while reinforcements arrived. Doesn’t mean Jerome is necessarily a better player than JDB right here, right now but sometimes different situations call for different players. The annoying bit for me as far as JDB is concerned is that we all know what he’s capable of, but it’s been fairly rare this season (admittedly with a less of a run in the starting 11).

(Hope I’ve articulated the above well enough for someone on the piss for most of the day and just skulled a full chocolate orange in front of Shaun of the Dead)

I certainly appreciate you trying as I’m still dumbfounded by it. The man can hold the ball and bring people in. It was crying for someone to do that yesterday. 

Good result in the end given the poor first half we had. I'm not sure Thomasons tackle deserved a red but it was a daft tackle to make. The lad has become a good player and an important one for us but he really needs to control himself at times and cut out all the cards he's getting.

I think the half time substitutes were spot on and we started the second half really well. Would've preferred Bod to come on late in the game instead of Jerome.

Definitely a good point in the end.

38 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Maghoma in behind CMG won’t work,  would leave Ashworth exposed. 

Maybe.

Depends on CMG's work rate and if he tracks back.

Not seen enough of him in that LW position to make judgment.

For a supposedly attack minded player. Maghoma's defensive work ain't bad.

Back 4 is fine if you’ve recruited for that system but we haven’t. Our WBs are essential to our attack which has managed to get 52 goals in 29 games.

If Thommo can learn how to stay on the pitch he could be our Rodri but somehow we’ve got to stop exposing the CBs because that’s the risk we take trying to attack in numbers.

Maghoma playing wide showed that Dapo was let go not because he didn’t fit the team but because he wasn’t a team player and/or the money offered was too good to turn down at the time. IMO.

12 hours ago, Stig said:

Not read any post game analyses from anyone else, will catch up, but.... In summary that was terrible

Whole team doesn't seem on it some games, and that's squarely Evatt's fault. 

The team selection was dire - Vic starting when he has been dire for a while and we've got better options. 

I'm Tomo's biggest fan, but that tackle today was stupid. 

And then second half Evatt gets the best squad in the league to salvage a draw at Northampton (who are abysmal)

While day was substandard. Evatt not coaching well, and players not playing well. Many more of these days and it'll be days at Wrexham next season. Evatt needs to sort it, rather than moaning about the fans

Hope there’s no sharp knives in your kitchen 

So this best sqaud in the league malarkey.

Presume this place is full of league 1 experts and champ man gimps that know the ins and outs of all the other teams.

Presume youve all forgotten how to read a league table and how that certain things happen in football matches that stop you winning every game.

You know like losing your club capitan and best player or having men sent off or having your start strikers form drop off a cliff.

So enlighten me football experts. Show me the other teams players and how ours are much better even though most get slagged to fuck every week.

Heres the starting line ups from yesterday. Fill your boots.

Screenshot_20240211-101106_LiveScore.jpg

Screenshot_20240211-101038_LiveScore.jpg

Screenshot_20240211-100959_LiveScore.jpg

Screenshot_20240211-100938_LiveScore.jpg

Screenshot_20240211-100905_LiveScore.jpg

34 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Maybe.

Depends on CMG's work rate and if he tracks back.

Not seen enough of him in that LW position to make judgment.

For a supposedly attack minded player. Maghoma's defensive work ain't bad.

Not worried about CMG he puts a shift in. It’s Maghoma work rate the issue in that formation. 

12 hours ago, Stig said:

He's got the best squad in the league. If he doesn't get promotion he's failed.

We are 2 games in hand from the top. That is not failure.

12 hours ago, Stig said:

I can accept off days, but our team seems to have such dips in performance it's unreal. I can't remember seasons like this where we're one of the best teams, but get battered every now and then, or completely fail to turn up.

Bar Wigan, remind me of our batterings?

12 hours ago, Stig said:

My view is they're mentally weak, and Evatt is too, and we're lucky the league is so weak this season

Weak? We dug in yesterday and got a point out of nothing. 

All after instrumental changes by our so called clueless manager.

Be interesting to see if we go to 4-4-2 when situations arise. I actually thought the 2 banks of 4 looked incredibly comfortable in their ‘new roles’

CMG looked excellent.

Iredale looked good as part of a 2 man cb.

Geth at RB.

Collins looks a menace on wing also.

Edited by tomski

Can’t count 10 mins at Cambridge but Barnsley & Northampton we’ve created very little in terms of good chances, folk can reel out the possession stats but it’s really insignificant

games in hand look good on the table but there could be a point where there’s pressure to win them if we ain’t careful

next up Wycombe thumped Peterborough yesterday so will be a tricky game we need to get back on it 

15 minutes ago, gonzo said:

We are 2 games in hand from the top. That is not failure.

Bar Wigan, remind me of our batterings?

Weak? We dug in yesterday and got a point out of nothing. 

All after instrumental changes by our so called clueless manager.

Carlisle, 

Was only Friday  On the EFL podcast Evatt said we have to make plan A better. Colman simply does not play the ball out like Baxter and we have no player who comes short for the ball like Santos does.

Saturday Evatt has no option with the players available to rip that up and go 4,4, 1

Until Santos and Baxter return we should keep this system. Maghoma was brought in as a holding midfielder and can take Thomasons spot freeing a role for Gomes. Collins has to start with Charles/bod  up top.

17 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Was only Friday  On the EFL podcast Evatt said we have to make plan A better. Colman simply does not play the ball out like Baxter and we have no player who comes short for the ball like Santos does.

Saturday Evatt has no option with the players available to rip that up and go 4,4, 1

Until Santos and Baxter return we should keep this system. Maghoma was brought in as a holding midfielder and can take Thomasons spot freeing a role for Gomes. Collins has to start with Charles/bod  up top.

Sounds great on paper but we have way of playing thats be instilled throughout the club for last 3 seasons. 

Hes just not going to ditch all that training day in day out and go 4 at the back is he?

That team 1984 put on before looks brilliant but in reality this fantasy football. 

And we didnt get beat yesterday. And we didnt beat last week either.

And we are still games in hand to go top.

....its just never ever going to be plain sailing in abyss of winter with a depleted sqaud at shit horrible tight grounds with teams coming at us hell for leather.

40 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Baxter (IMO) isn't all that at playing out, excellent goalkeeper though, which should be the priority

Coleman, in fairness, looked to get us away quicker.

19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

....its just never ever going to be plain sailing in abyss of winter with a depleted sqaud at shit horrible tight grounds with teams coming at us hell for leather.

I think this has been largely overlooked.

35 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

To be fair to Coleman it will take him a few games to fine tune his role, Baxter struggled when he came in. One of the hardest positions in our team with the way we play is keeper, added the fact our defence is still getting used to playing together.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

I don't have much confidence in Colman and I'll be honest it stems from his hair 

A balding comb over 

It reeks of a man who has terrible judgement which is not a good look for a goal keeper 

@gonzo, couple of good posts above, not sure where this best squad in the league thing comes from either, we do have good strength in depth and sometimes it seems we have better on the bench.

Can I turn a couple of things around though ?

How many teams have we battered ?

Appreciate I only mostly see the home games (did Burton which was dreadful), but I can't remember the last time I sat through injury time without a feeling of low level dread 😄.

I'm watching us struggle mightily against teams we're meant to be better than.

Teams coming at us hell for leather.

Why don't we do that ?

Get on the front foot a bit quicker, when we do, any team struggles to cope with us. 

Again, appreciate its easier to destroy than create, but we don't half play into other teams hands by playing it so slow.

All that said, we've had really shit luck with injuries (unbelievable tbh), and if we're still in touch when we get our main players back, we're plenty good enough to knock out the wins needed. 

And Evatt et al have worked wonders to get us where we are from when he started.

Really hope he can finish the job 🙏 

COYWM 

34 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Sounds great on paper but we have way of playing thats be instilled throughout the club for last 3 seasons. 

Hes just not going to ditch all that training day in day out and go 4 at the back is he?

That team 1984 put on before looks brilliant but in reality this fantasy football. 

The players Evatt has available have all played 442 way more than 352

Nobody is saying rip that system up, but without Baxter and Santos i see no other way

12 minutes ago, Greg_BWFC said:

Appreciate I only mostly see the home games (did Burton which was dreadful), but I can't remember the last time I sat through injury time without a feeling of low level dread 😄.

If you had a feeling of low level dread in jury time when we were 7-0 up against Exeter City it might be time to pack it in 🙂