Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mike Carter

wakey

Going through some of the youtube clips and saw Mike Carter looking like a future star in our relegation season. Remember him breaking through and thinking he was sensational (I was a kid), but then never living up to the early promise and dropping down the leagues.

Googled him the other day to see how his career panned out post us. Shocked to find he'd died in 2018.

I may be the only one who missed this, and a bit late for an RIP thread, but thought I'd share for anyone else as out of touch as me. 

Bit more info here https://www.herefordfc.co.uk/obituary-mike-carter/

Sad news this i knew he’d settled in Warrington and was a builder. Was a talented player, that assist at Maine road was class. Anyhow here’s the video of the Hereford v Arsenal game where his header was saved by Lukic. RIP Mike. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

43 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

Some talented youngsters have melted away over the years. Remember David Hoggan, remember him marrying a mates ex and ended up in the states. Not sure what happened after that.

Was a superstar in the indoor league. Talented lad Hoggan. 

That goal against Spurs was something else. If you look at the clever two footed jinking moves he did in the lead up to the Whatmore goal v City you get the gist. He beat about four defenders in a very tight space and slotted home. It was in the Embankment penalty box on the Manny Road side. 

I also remember a very late goal he got in a 1-0 home win v Orient and a wet Autumn day. It was in one of those early 1980s second division years of struggle. 

I believe he played for Wrexham in the famous promotion winning game of ours in 87/8. 

One of a number of footballers who were seen as bright prospects in very late 70s/early 80s who came through when the likes of Roy Greaves, Tony Dunne, Big Sam, Peter Reid, Neil Whatmore were moving on (Phil Wilson, David Hoggan, Mick Bennett, Mike Graham, Chris Thompson, David Burke)

38 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

One of a number of footballers who were seen as bright prospects in very late 70s/early 80s who came through when the likes of Roy Greaves, Tony Dunne, Big Sam, Peter Reid, Neil Whatmore were moving on (Phil Wilson, David Hoggan, Mick Bennett, Mike Graham, Chris Thompson, David Burke)

Chris Thompson was a particularly tragic tale. https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10114335.lonely-death-ex-rovers-star-chris-thompson/

Phil Wilson was another who looked amazing in the relegation season but never really pushed on with us. Think he had a decent career at Huddersfield though.

1 hour ago, wakey said:

Chris Thompson was a particularly tragic tale. https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10114335.lonely-death-ex-rovers-star-chris-thompson/

Phil Wilson was another who looked amazing in the relegation season but never really pushed on with us. Think he had a decent career at Huddersfield though.

CT ran off with Steve Whitworths wife, June Whitworth. She worked in my bank and was a lovely lady to be fair. She use to get me free tickets for aways. I knew about his sad end 😢

1 hour ago, wakey said:

Met Chris Thompson when he presented our trophies for winning the Chorley Sunday League. He was a really nice bloke .

12 minutes ago, Underpants said:

CT ran off with Steve Whitworths wife, June Whitworth. She worked in my bank and was a lovely lady to be fair. She use to get me free tickets for aways. I knew about his sad end 😢

He wouldn't have had to run very fast to outpace Whitworth tbf! Bless him.

On 17/02/2024 at 12:22, nantwichwhite said:

Met Chris Thompson when he presented our trophies for winning the Chorley Sunday League. He was a really nice bloke .

Chris Thompson presented our trophies at end of season do for the Bolton Federation team I played for. By then he was a Blackburn player though. I don't remember the circumstances of him leaving or whether we got a fee. He was certainly a good un for us in a pretty bare era. 

On 17/02/2024 at 10:55, wakey said:

That's a sad read. Leaping to conclusions here but many players who's career ends & have limited options for a later career must struggle with the loss of purpose.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

That's a sad read. Leaping to conclusions here but many players who's career ends & have limited options for a later career must struggle with the loss of purpose.

No doubt, but think he had serious trouble with the booze even when he was playing. Vague memory of reading comments from fellow pros who said he'd have had a great career if he looked after himself better. As it was it had pretty much fizzled out by the time he was 30.

Shame really - suspect in the modern era his career and life would have gone in a very different direction.

On 17/02/2024 at 10:55, wakey said:

remember him scoring a belter against shrewsbury if my memories correct, a scissor kick or overhead kick