Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

I do remember Sheff Weds were great all season last year up until March and they dropped off massively, went on a very poor run and could hardly win a game.

They finished 3rd and did have to do it the hard way in the play offs. 

So still all is not lost, and personally I believe we're a much better side than Sheff Weds were.

I think Pompey are more like Ipswich and would do well in the Championship.

Derby on the other hand remind me a lot like Sheff Weds. Yesterday I just thought how poor of a side they really are. Yes they beat us and will probably go up. But there's no doubt in my mind they will struggle even more than Sheff Weds. Old team, playing 1800s football, relying on moments of brilliance or a set piece. Teams like that get butchered in the Championship.

Evatt has like he said before, has gone the more difficult way, trying to get us out of the league playing a way that will set us up for the Championship and beyond. 

Im completely behind Evatt and trust him. You only have to see most of our matches to see how we take it to teams, it's just coming to moments of us not taking our chances and the opponent punishing us. We do have to get better at that and we simply have to be better at set pieces offensively and defensively. I hope Evatt is capable in that sense. 

Watching this side over the past few seasons and particularly this season doesn't give me any reason to worry or be pessimistic, in the sense that Evatt has really got us playing. The pressing structure, possession, attacking impetus, it's great to watch. There's just parts of the game that needs touching up.

We're nearly there but just not yet. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

End of the day, we play like that yesterday we will win most of our remaining games.

Derby were playing like the underdog. They'll 100% drop points.

There's a long way to go. 4 of our last 6 at home is pivotal.

I think in 13 visits to Derby that is the most dominant we have played against them from memory , you could see the defenders panicking when we pressed them  especially in the first half , amplified by them feigning injury at certain points just to get some respite.

24 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think in 13 visits to Derby that is the most dominant we have played against them from memory , you could see the defenders panicking when we pressed them  especially in the first half , amplified by them feigning injury at certain points just to get some respite.

Yep.

Dion plays yesterday we win that imo.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m maybe biased in the sense of I’m still convinced Jerome will have a Wilbraham moment, but it’s a bit harsh to say he hasn’t had any impact. The game only changed at Barnsley when he came on and he was one of the few to get pass marks against Wigan. Was really unlucky with the chance against Oxford too. 

I'm just looking at the numbers really, for all the game time he's had in the position he plays in I'd expect a couple of goals

I don't understand this presumption because folk don't post they are not happy we have won.

I am one of them! If Evatt has got it right and we win a game comfortably then great couldn't be happier on we roll, I'm off for a pint. I feel less inclined to Post, it's their job! 

However when we fail to win games for the same reasons match after match, season after season it grinds my gears and I have to call it out. Evatt's comments, his rigidity, his pre planned substitutions, yadda Yadda yadda are all gonna get questioned when we have had the shit results we have had recently, and against the better teams.

Of course I would like to eat humble pie and us win games in the manner we did against Oxford, it's brilliant to watch.  But we don't, and we are not the Harlem fuckin Globetrotters, we are in competitive competition and the reason we lose more than we should is Evatt, he is the differentiator. I don't believe Portsmouth or Derby have a more talented squad than us; yet they are 1st and 2nd, and we are not!

Edited by JimmyRiddle

1 hour ago, Lostock Whites said:

I do remember Sheff Weds were great all season last year up until March and they dropped off massively, went on a very poor run and could hardly win a game.

They finished 3rd and did have to do it the hard way in the play offs. 

So still all is not lost, and personally I believe we're a much better side than Sheff Weds were.

I think Pompey are more like Ipswich and would do well in the Championship.

Derby on the other hand remind me a lot like Sheff Weds. Yesterday I just thought how poor of a side they really are. Yes they beat us and will probably go up. But there's no doubt in my mind they will struggle even more than Sheff Weds. Old team, playing 1800s football, relying on moments of brilliance or a set piece. Teams like that get butchered in the Championship.

Evatt has like he said before, has gone the more difficult way, trying to get us out of the league playing a way that will set us up for the Championship and beyond. 

Im completely behind Evatt and trust him. You only have to see most of our matches to see how we take it to teams, it's just coming to moments of us not taking our chances and the opponent punishing us. We do have to get better at that and we simply have to be better at set pieces offensively and defensively. I hope Evatt is capable in that sense. 

Watching this side over the past few seasons and particularly this season doesn't give me any reason to worry or be pessimistic, in the sense that Evatt has really got us playing. The pressing structure, possession, attacking impetus, it's great to watch. There's just parts of the game that needs touching up.

We're nearly there but just not yet. 

I'd rather he did it the Pompey and Ipswich way by your post if I'm honest!

Derby shithoused a win with depleted personnel, goalie was their star man.

Warne changed his system at HT to thwart our flow & Wilson proved very effective down our left , said it before but Iredale being naturally left footed is a better option than Toal who stutters with the ball on his left peg .Not saying Toal shouldn’t be picked , he’s a good defender but for me on his correct rhs.

The bog standard subs at seventy minutes have been tedious for some time , & seldom improve us especially when chasing games,the exception being Barnsley although the first change ( bringing Iredale on ) was injury forced.

I thought we were easily the better team yesterday but we failed mainly with final pass / shot.

10 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Derby shithoused a win with depleted personnel, goalie was their star man.

Warne changed his system at HT to thwart our flow & Wilson proved very effective down our left , said it before but Iredale being naturally left footed is a better option than Toal who stutters with the ball on his left peg .Not saying Toal shouldn’t be picked , he’s a good defender but for me on his correct rhs.

The bog standard subs at seventy minutes have been tedious for some time , & seldom improve us especially when chasing games,the exception being Barnsley although the first change ( bringing Iredale on ) was injury forced.

I thought we were easily the better team yesterday but we failed mainly with final pass / shot.

Absolutely.  The final ball from really good positions is hugely frustrating,  the one quality cross was almost a goal and the less said about our set plays the better .

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Absolutely.  The final ball from really good positions is hugely frustrating,  the one quality cross was almost a goal and the less said about our set plays the better .

The final ball from really good positions tends to be either a high cross (usually back post) where a load of big defenders are queuing up to clear it or a low cross into a crowded box where a load of big defenders are queuing up to clear it because the build up was too slow and/or the cross should have come across 5 seconds earlier - like Ogbeta's cross for the 4th against Oxford. We are predictable and on the odd occasion we have someone on the edge of the box waiting for the cut back they are hesitant to shoot (unlike George's goal v Oxford where he took a chance and was rewarded with a good deflection)

Too much faffing and waiting and not enough early balls or striker instinct to get the shot off whenever there's the opportunity.

There was one good corner when Bod ran across the goal line and ended up in front of the goalie - promising idea.

Defending set pieces? We let too many attackers go on walkabout and don't have anyone back to defend the edge of the box or clear when it's headed away.

56 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

That Cogley ball when we had 5 players in box just before half time infuriated me more than anything else in the game including bods miss. Stuff like that is the difference.

I love Sheehan, one of the best midfielders in the league, but fuck me his corners are absolutely terrible.

FWIW

We are wonderful until we are within 20 yards of the opposition goal.

We just don't convert anything like enough (bod yesterday) miss or save still an ongoing theme.

Best team in the league until that point. I really believe that. Beyond that others are much better even some of the really shitty ones.

Not sure if it's luck or ability but that is the currently the difference.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Must admit he doesn't bloody help himself with some of the stuff he comes out with. 

He will have plenty of receipts this weekend.

He can't help himself. Can't see him learning with the daft waffle either.

Got full of himself after the 5-0 win and gave himself amnesia.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Yep.

Dion plays yesterday we win that imo.

Not sure how you can be certain.  If he hadn't played at Pompey, we might have been leading at H-T.

It sounds like I'm having a dig at him, I'm not, but with respect its like saying if Iredale had played yesterday we wouldn't have conceded - how can we possibly know Charles would have chosen yesterday to score at a top 6 ground, not something he, or anyone else, has a track record of.