Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rent prices in Bolton

Bolton rents have increased 37.9% in the past 3 years. The second highest increase in the UK - just behind Glasgow (according to figures front the BBC)

I remember when it was £45 a week for a 2 up 2 down terrace house when I was about 18 and finding my own place. 

God knows how youngsters are supposed to cope nowadays?

16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Back when you could catch dysentery from sitting on the outside loo! 😁 

That's still a regular occurrence in modern day Little Lever

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

Back when you could catch dysentery from sitting on the outside loo! 😁 

Not sure about dysentery but changing an old Bakelite seat for a warmer, wooden one was the ultimate luxury. 
Call me old fashioned but I still can’t grasp the concept of shitting inside a house rather than outside. 🤷‍♂️

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Not sure about dysentery but changing an old Bakelite seat for a warmer, wooden one was the ultimate luxury. 
Call me old fashioned but I still can’t grasp the concept of shitting inside a house rather than outside. 🤷‍♂️

I remember why gran's house in Ashton under Lyne before it had an inside bog installed.

The shit-house was without doubt at least 5 degrees colder than anywhere else in the town. Bog roll would have a dampness to it that ensured finger-through quality.

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I remember why gran's house in Ashton under Lyne before it had an inside bog installed.

The shit-house was without doubt at least 5 degrees colder than anywhere else in the town. Bog roll would have a dampness to it that ensured finger-through quality.

Bog roll!? Yesterday’s newspaper cut into squares stuck on a nail in the wall. Heating? Surprising what a couple of these did to keep the  water from freezing.

IMG_0877.jpeg

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, royal white said:

£575 for a one bedroom house share off Chorley old 🤦🏻

How though?

The impression given is these folk are being forced out of living in Manc 

If they work in Manc they still either have to drive to Manc every day or get to the station to commute

I'm not having it that rental prices on CNR are being influenced by city centre Manchester prices 

Imagine that you work somewhere in Manc city centre but prices and demand mean you're best off living off CNR

24 minutes ago, Zico said:

How though?

If they work in Manc they still either have to drive to Manc every day or get to the station to commute

I'm not having it that rental prices on CNR are being influenced by city centre Manchester prices 

Imagine that you work somewhere in Manc city centre but prices and demand mean you're best off living off CNR

It’s bonkers. Theres dozens on similar to that 

It is like anything in life around the world Supply and Demand. Bolton is growing as a population weekly. These are not local people but immigrants for whatever reason are getting shipped into the town Local people cannot afford rent  but it matters not because the rent is covered by Universal credit Government agencies.

5,000 houses are being built in the town centre these will all be for the rental Market. Houses popping up in Farnworth ,Kearsley, Horwich and Westhoughton

And numerous large houses are being turned into HMO

Nobody can get a NHS Dentist in Bolton and if you ever had the mis-fortune of going to the Royal Bolton say goodbye to twelve hours of your life.

Fly tipping everywhere, nobody but locals working. Pension ages rising because we cannot afford anyone not working.

Youngsters fucked out of there heads on weed...............But at least we can beat Cambridge

have a good week-end and thank your lucky stars you got out of this shithole

4 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

It is like anything in life around the world Supply and Demand. Bolton is growing as a population weekly. These are not local people but immigrants for whatever reason are getting shipped into the town Local people cannot afford rent  but it matters not because the rent is covered by Universal credit Government agencies.

5,000 houses are being built in the town centre these will all be for the rental Market. Houses popping up in Farnworth ,Kearsley, Horwich and Westhoughton

And numerous large houses are being turned into HMO

Nobody can get a NHS Dentist in Bolton and if you ever had the mis-fortune of going to the Royal Bolton say goodbye to twelve hours of your life.

Fly tipping everywhere, nobody but locals working. Pension ages rising because we cannot afford anyone not working.

Youngsters fucked out of there heads on weed...............But at least we can beat Cambridge

have a good week-end and thank your lucky stars you got out of this shithole

I live in Astley Bridge! 😁

• Site Supporter

When me and Mrs F moved in together the place I worked at offered us a 2U2D in Stoneclough. It had an outside cludgy. First freezing day I went round the village after dark and nicked three of them parafin road works lamps. The bog was warmish, but you were a fire hazard for days with the parafin smell.

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

When me and Mrs F moved in together the place I worked at offered us a 2U2D in Stoneclough. It had an outside cludgy. First freezing day I went round the village after dark and nicked three of them parafin road works lamps. The bog was warmish, but you were a fire hazard for days with the parafin smell.

The good old days when you could get a full overtime shift going around lighting those lamps 

now it’s all solar powered light activated come on themselves things. 
And they won’t keep your bog  warm , progress my arse 😄

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

I nicked one of the battery powered ones when I was pissed one night. Took it home but I couldn't get to sleep with it flashing on and off so stuck I in the wardrobe.

When I work up the morning after it looked like Close Encounters of the third kind. Still flashing through the wardrobe doors and shitting my mum up when she walked past my room.

The perils of pissed up pinching.

Edited by FrancisFogarty

• Site Supporter

When Fletchers paper mill and Kearsley power station shut there must have been hundreds of new houses built. Are the pubs in Stoneclough any busier ?

Are they fuck but it's hard work getting in or out at going to work times. Because of the motorway and nearby Manchester.

I don't live down there so I don't know about rents.

9 hours ago, Zico said:

How though?

Working from home plays a part

Say you only need to be in the office once or twice a week then why pay Manc prices when you can get more for your money in Bolton 

When I worked in London and working from home came more a thing, moved to the north Hertfordshire uplands to get better value for money and could still easily commute in when required 

Plus with working from home a couple with no kids like us look for a three bedroom property so we each have a space to work 

So normally three bedroom properties now have an extra level of demand that previously didn't exist so rents go up 

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Immigration not having any effect then? Supply and demand?

Thought not.

Not round here and there’s houses on our street going for £900+ a month in rent when at its highest point our mortgage was £396. The problem is that the new houses are all in the £300k region, which probably feels quite cheap in comparison to a lot of places, but there simply isn’t the supply at the bottom end. 

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Immigration not having any effect then? Supply and demand?

Thought not.

Immigration can be blamed for a lot of things, this increase in house pricing and rent I'm not sure is one of them. If anything, house prices and subsequently the rentals they can generate get driven down when loads of immigrants move in.