Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (H)

L/H White

7 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'd be tempted into a change in formation, but it's not going to happen.

4-3-2-1, perhaps?

Coleman
Jones Toal Santos Iredale
Dempsey Sheehan ThomasonĀ 
Bangaverage Collins
Jerome

I think a slight change is pretty much essential given the lack of proper striker options but he won't deviate from the 3 (or 5 however you see it) at the back, regardless of if he should or not.Ā 

With that in mind, I wouldn't mind seeing something like:

Coleman

Toal, Santos, Iredale

Jones, Sheehan, Thomason, Ashworth

Williams, Collins

Bod

More of a 3-4-2-1, which is what we should have been doing when Dapo was here, and having Collins and Randell Williams as the wide/inside forwards that both can drop deep to collect a ball and run at defenders or can get wide and get balls in or run beyond Bod when he drops in as he is capable on the ball himself.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, burnden said:

Ā 

22 minutes ago, Traf said:

Bumper crowd?

There'll be less than 14,000 on.

already getting the excuses in

if you turn up and give your all, we will

but you won't

which is why we won't

• Moderators

just realised, I'm off to Australia for 3 weeks at end of the month

so this is (hopefully) my last game of the season

might be able to make Vale but get back that day so unlikely

• Site Supporter

Negatives out of the way first. And unusually for me, I have a few.Ā 

- That 2nd half performance at Exeter was worrying against a side 16th in L1, I really hope we can bounce back from that, but Iā€™m not convinced.

- The injuries are shocking and again, despite the depth we have, I feel we are missing too many key players.Ā 

- And finally, no amount of tub thumping from Evatt and the happy clappers (šŸ¤£) can convince me that the atmosphere tonight can be bouncing. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™ll do my bit as always.Ā 

- This is the prem equivalent of City at home to Brighton on a wet Tuesday night.

- We, quite rightly, are expected to win tonight. Games with expectancy like this donā€™t produce raucous nights.

- I canā€™t get overly excited about a game we are expected to, and must win.

Bloody hell canā€™t believe my own words reading back! But itā€™s honestly how I feel.

However a win tonight and it sets Derby and Stevenage up nicely.Ā 

- I still think this squad is good enough for automatic.

- Cut the individual errors out, we score enough goals.

- Win tonight, pick up some points at Derby/Stevenage, then Evatt will get his big atmosphere on a Saturday against Portsmouth

- I still maintain thereā€™s some special moments to come. Need to win tonight to make sure those can happen.Ā 

Ā 

The only change in shape I see tonight is Collins operating a little deeper, like CMG was pre-injury. Defensively, to cap their deep playmaker - Would that be Brannagan? Not seen much of him, but note he's considered one of the best in the league - And to give him a little more freedom to roam and link up with the wing-backs

Personnel-wise, I think we're currently better geared up for a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1, but not with only 1 day's prep time. That would be suicidal

1 minute ago, desperado said:

- That 2nd half performance at Exeter was worrying against a side 16th in L1, I really hope we can bounce back from that, but Iā€™m not convinced.

- The injuries are shocking and again, despite the depth we have, I feel we are missing too many key players.Ā 

- And finally, no amount of tub thumping from Evatt and the happy clappers (šŸ¤£) can convince me that the atmosphere tonight can be bouncing. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™ll do my bit as always.Ā 

- This is the prem equivalent of City at home to Brighton on a wet Tuesday night.

- We, quite rightly, are expected to win tonight. Games with expectancy like this donā€™t produce raucous nights.

Bloody hell canā€™t believe my own words reading back! But itā€™s honestly how I feel.

- Win tonight, pick up some points at Derby/Stevenage, then Evatt will get his big atmosphere on a Saturday against Portsmouth

- I still maintain thereā€™s some special moments to come. Need to win tonight to make sure those can happen.Ā 

Ā 

You're right about the atmosphere. It will be shit. I hope it isn't, but it will be.Ā 

I think the game will ebb and flow and there'll be goals in it. Our issue will be, will our forwards be more clinical than theirs.Ā 

Both teams will want possession and won't be in any rush to turn it over unnecessarily, so it could start cagily, before becoming transitional as teams spot gaps and up the intensity. The wing backs and Collins/Bang Average link-up will be crucial tonightĀ 

Really can't call this either way

29 minutes ago, Zico said:

just realised, I'm off to Australia for 3 weeks at end of the month

so this is (hopefully) my last game of the season

might be able to make Vale but get back that day so unlikely

Safe trip, mate (I could have booked that, you know šŸ˜‰Ā ) Won't be your last game : see you in the play-offs

21 minutes ago, boltonboris said:

Personnel-wise, I think we're currently better geared up for a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1, but not with only 1 day's prep time. That would be suicidal

I agree, that with who's left fit, a change in system could be the answer.

Coleman & Bod are fine as 3rd division reserves/stand ins but both starting weakens us at both ends, so I can't see us winning the next 2.......our hope has to be that others drop points & that we've get Baxter & Dion back after the break.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Collins bod

Tomo Bangaverage Sheehan

Randy Toal Rico Jones JDC

Coleman

More than good enough to win

I'd have Ashworth in for Wiliams but still, happy enough with Wiliams and plenty good enough

definitely need to stick with Paris for his goal threat as he's now the fittest top goal scorer

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Bumper crowd?

There'll be less than 14,000 on.

I think they mean "bumper number of folk watching at homepub with their STs gathering dust till the next Saturday match".

Anyway it doesn't matter whether there's 10k or 20k there, the atmosphere isn't down to numbers its how those there react to the team and vice versa.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Ā 

Good balanced post.

You're right, we've been going to night matches against teams below us in the table for long enough to know what the atmosphere will be like.Ā  But as you say, its the same everywhere, nothing looks as flat on TV as City v anyone but the big 6 on a Tuesday.Ā 

And if we score early, it makes the atmosphere even more flat as it becomes "so we've won that one, onto Saturday".Ā  Ā  Some of the best atmospheres are when we are losing and we make a fist ofĀ  - Charlton was good - but we got most of our "big atmosphere" games out of the way early in the season - 1st game of season, local derbies, Derby, Carlisle; we are on a run of very flat games and its just the reality of this division.Ā Ā 

As you say get through this one and hopefully we might have some more memorable home games to come.

Really want to see Dempsey back in from the start as we look lightweight through the middle. He's also got a good shot and always looking for that chance on the edge of the box. With our shortage of strikers think we need any extra attacking edge we can get.Ā 

1 hour ago, bolton va va said:

Coleman & Bod are fine as 3rd division reserves/stand ins but both starting weakens us at both ends, so I can't see us winning the next 2.......our hope has to be that others drop points & that we've get Baxter & Dion back after the break.

I get that Bod isn't pulling up trees, but to say he weakens us isn't how I see it.Ā  Charles and Vic strengthen us if they score - no argument - and when not scoring (most games), they both lose possession too easily and don't create much for others, compared to Bod and Collins.Ā  We also lose the option to knock it long and win a flick on header.

We do miss Charles' waspish endeavour/fight - very different to Bod & especially Collins in that respect.Ā  We need him back in the squad asap to give us an option and improve our goal threat clearly.

If any of the 4 are off form it makes little difference, its poor and yes Bod has bad games, but its the same for all, who knows who's going to be on form from one game to the next?Ā  Fingers crossed they do the business this week.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I'd have Ashworth in for Wiliams but still, happy enough with Wiliams and plenty good enough

definitely need to stick with Paris for his goal threat as he's now the fittest top goal scorer

Yes he's fit as well as decent!Ā  Hopefully you haven't tempted fate, anyone that can score a goal hasn't been staying fit long.

But I agree - one of first names on teamsheet for me, anyone that is comfortable getting into a scoring position and taking it with composure, is in.Ā  Our goal threat is reduced when he's not on the pitch, creates as well as scores.Ā Ā 

39 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This atmosphere lark.

We've been here before.

If everyone saying it will be shit makes lots of noise then it won't be.

Conversely, if everyone site on their hands looking at others, then everyone is complicit in that lack of atmosphere.Ā 

I'd be surprised if anyone on here actually starts a chant.Ā  I'll join in much of the time but you can normally feel a quietness, or an atmosphere, even before entering the turnstyle, its a strange thing, its either present or it isn't.Ā 

I'll get behind the team as always but 1 or 2 blokes standing up in each block of ESL every now and again isn't atmosphere - that's mainly provided (or not) by crazy corner.Ā  Let's not beat ourselves up about it though, it will probably be the same, or worse, at every EFL game tonight with possible exception of Pompey.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'd be surprised if anyone on here actually starts a chant.Ā  I'll join in much of the time but you can normally feel a quietness, or an atmosphere, even before entering the turnstyle, its a strange thing, its either present or it isn't.Ā 

I'll get behind the team as always but 1 or 2 blokes standing up in each block of ESL every now and again isn't atmosphere - that's mainly provided (or not) by crazy corner.Ā  Let's not beat ourselves up about it though, it will probably be the same, or worse, at every EFL game tonight with possible exception of Pompey.

Thing is, it's spoken about on here as a bit of a criticism of fans in the ground. When the issue applies equally across the board.

You're correct- there is no need to beat ourselves up over it, but some do.