Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sportsman's Dinner

Not seen him but if it was a Q&A format it would be interesting, best type of sportsman dinners for me.  Best sportsman dinner guest I’ve seen probably Bernard Gallagher, not particularly funny but brilliant tales of golf in years gone by. Anyhow Athy hope you enjoy it.👍

Glad you enjoyed it pal.

I had a chat with Russ on Colls yesterday, he got in at 3.30am and was in the doghouse 😁

Would have been there but was at a concert in Leeds we booked last Sept. Need more than six weeks notice!

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Having heard him on Undr The Cosh, reckon I’d probably really enjoy seeing Kevin Lynch (the ref). Tells a great story.

we left the last burnden game through the tunnel and hung around in the area below

lynch appeared, i told him he had always been shit and that late penalty was evidence

he said, course it wasn't but it was a nice way to end it.....are you never happy?

i had to reply, no

38 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Having heard him on Undr The Cosh, reckon I’d probably really enjoy seeing Kevin Lynch (the ref). Tells a great story.

He did a BWDSA event at the Moat House and was OK.

i asked about the penalty he gave against Branagan at play off game v West Brom, he said it was a shit decision, but that got me to go away which I think was his main objective. 

This might sounds daft to some, but having never been to one, but what exactly is a sportsman's dinner?

Is it a meal and then hear someone who played a sport do an afterdinner speech? Do you have to be a member of a sports club? Honestly, I haven't a clue.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

This might sounds daft to some, but having never been to one, but what exactly is a sportsman's dinner?

Is it a meal and then hear someone who played a sport do an afterdinner speech? Do you have to be a member of a sports club? Honestly, I haven't a clue.

YES 

and 

NO

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's basically a small festival for old gammons.

Posted (edited)

For an amateur football club like Atherton Colls it is a good fund raiser, usually t Tyldesley rugby club because it has all of the facilities, there is an MC for the night, a former pro (I've been to many with rugby players and footballers, actually one of the best ever was a vicar from Atherton who used to be the chaplain at Bury FC, he could tell a tale) then a 3 course meal, then there is a comedian who does a 40 minute spot, then s raffle and an auction of sports memorabilia, plius plenty drinking

Edited by athywhite1958
Wrong club

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

For an amateur football club like Atherton Colls it is a good fund raiser, usually t Tyldesley rugby club because it has all of the facilities, there is an MC for the night, a former pro (I've been to many with rugby players and footballers, actually one of the best ever was a vicar from Atherton who used to be the chaplain at BWFC, he could tell a tale) then a 3 course meal, then there is a comedian who does a 40 minute spot, then s raffle and an auction of sports memorabilia, plius plenty drinking

I bet the comedian always says "You can't say anything these days!" at least once.

4 hours ago, Ani said:

He did a BWDSA event at the Moat House and was OK.

i asked about the penalty he gave against Branagan at play off game v West Brom, he said it was a shit decision, but that got me to go away which I think was his main objective. 

Branagan didn't play v West Brom in Play offs?

Don't remember them getting a pen either.

40 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Branagan didn't play v West Brom in Play offs?

Don't remember them getting a pen either.

Right you have sent me into a you tube hunt ! 

Must not have been play offs, their bloke fouled Branagan (or maybe another keeper) but he had the ball. Mr Keeper pushed the attacker and ref (think it was Lynch) gave the pen. 

This is a clear memory in my mind, am now doubting if it was even West Brom. 

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Based purely on Internet persona I'd if there's one man that should steer clear of a sportsman's dinner it's our @Not in Crawley:D

...Closely followed by cheese 🧀 

If only I had steered clear of sportsman's dinner my life would be different.