Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What happened with what looked like his free header from the corner at about 75 minutes ish?

From where we were it looked like he’d arrived on it perfect and had just nodded it down into the bottom right corner but next minute the keeper just caught it like someone had just gently thrown it back to him - assume he didn’t make the right contact or a defender got something on it?

The one after that , looked like he shinned it over the bar from close range

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

The amount of late stuff off the ball that they missed was comical

I heard that one of the touch judges was the bloke who mistook Dion for Kachunga. If so his eyesight hasn't improved.

9 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Sucked all the momentum out of us that did. 

All four are potential match winners that can do stuff other players can’t. To take every single one them off was just fucking bizarre. 

Totally agree; almost ended our chance of getting the three points

• Site Supporter

Just watched the highlights. Collins and Charles on together would have beeen a winning ticket. That attack where we had about half a dozen shots on goal. We'd have had a couple of goals there I'm sure if DChad been on as well as Collins.

1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Prove it is a weak league and pull the stats of pre and post Vics injury.

I may be wrong on the Vic stats, but confident we have been worse since his absence 

There are no stats that tell us how many points we would have got with the same fixtures if Vic played, or how many points we'd have dropped if Bod had played instead of Vic in 1st half of season.  All guesswork.

The fixtures have got harder - so obvious, not sure why I'm repeating it.  The points per game in the first half or 2 thirds of the season was never a true reflection, given our record against the better sides, who we had hardly played at that stage.

And with Vic hardly playing, we've got the longest unbeaten home run now since god knows when, that's not a dig at him, but makes a mockery of us struggling without him, we've also started scoring more.  Yes, less away points, but not comparing like with like.  Some disappointing performances of course, same as 1st half of season, without the embarrassing Wigan/Carlisle type defeats.  

FWIW I was as disappointed as anyone with Bod's miss in 2nd half and he didn't have a great game.  I do think he's lost a bit of zest and I'd have no problem with Charles starting on Tuesday in his place.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fucking hell that felt like a proper play-off. And we played so, so well. Fuck everything else, that crowd gave everything and the team matched it. Everything else will sort itself out.

If anyone else is in Nelson Square then there’s a tab waiting for you in Definitely Maybe.  

Yes it felt like a play off 2nd leg game, never mind 1st leg.  Fantastic atmosphere in first half, relentless.  2nd half less so, in fact it felt a bit flat atmosphere-wise, like it was a realisation we weren't going to win.  But overall, a quality game of football, a pleasure to be there.  Santos - wow.

But as much as we played well as in 7 out of 10, I felt like some key players didn't.  Sheehan as bad a first half as I can recall at home.  Jones a shadow of the player I expected to see, was he fit?  Looked sluggish and lacking drive.  Bod generally off the pace, as he was 1st half v Reading.  Our corners were shocking until Morley came on, then it was like we had someone who had taken a dead ball before, and we suddenly looked dangerous.  Overall, did OK, but Derby have got away with that one because we can be better.  

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There are no stats that tell us how many points we would have got with the same fixtures if Vic played, or how many points we'd have dropped if Bod had played instead of Vic in 1st half of season.  All guesswork.

The fixtures have got harder - so obvious, not sure why I'm repeating it.  The points per game in the first half or 2 thirds of the season was never a true reflection, given our record against the better sides, who we had hardly played at that stage.

And with Vic hardly playing, we've got the longest unbeaten home run now since god knows when, that's not a dig at him, but makes a mockery of us struggling without him, we've also started scoring more.  Yes, less away points, but not comparing like with like.  Some disappointing performances of course, same as 1st half of season, without the embarrassing Wigan/Carlisle type defeats.  

FWIW I was as disappointed as anyone with Bod's miss in 2nd half and he didn't have a great game.  I do think he's lost a bit of zest and I'd have no problem with Charles starting on Tuesday in his place.

I agree it is impossible to prove anything one way or another, but his name gets dropped, even when not playing and seemingly more than most, as a reason for our 'failure'. Coupled with the 'fact' this is a shit league this season so we should be smashing it. I just think both are shite arguments

1 hour ago, woolli said:

What do you think Vic would have produced that Bod and Collins havent?

He would have given options to our attack, which we have clearly needed in some of the games. Do you think not having him is a better option?  

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes it felt like a play off 2nd leg game, never mind 1st leg.  Fantastic atmosphere in first half, relentless.  2nd half less so, in fact it felt a bit flat atmosphere-wise, like it was a realisation we weren't going to win.  But overall, a quality game of football, a pleasure to be there.  Santos - wow.

But as much as we played well as in 7 out of 10, I felt like some key players didn't.  Sheehan as bad a first half as I can recall at home.  Jones a shadow of the player I expected to see, was he fit?  Looked sluggish and lacking drive.  Bod generally off the pace, as he was 1st half v Reading.  Our corners were shocking until Morley came on, then it was like we had someone who had taken a dead ball before, and we suddenly looked dangerous.  Overall, did OK, but Derby have got away with that one because we can be better.  

Yeah, we didn’t win, but you just love highlighting the negatives. 

Enjoy your evening.

My take. We was fantastic first half, poor goal to give away, Maghoma was really good, Santos was fucking fantastic, our like for like subs was shite! We lost our momentum, and impetus. We was by far the best team, but, same old, not clinical enough. See you all at Wembley.

14 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

I agree it is impossible to prove anything one way or another, but his name gets dropped, even when not playing and seemingly more than most, as a reason for our 'failure'. Coupled with the 'fact' this is a shit league this season so we should be smashing it. I just think both are shite arguments

Can't disagree with that, nothing against Vic at all, just not having it that Bod is a downgrade on him.  The other factor is that some results when Vic started were secured by the intro of Bod as sub, who generally did a great job when he came on.  Nobody can prove anything at all based purely on stats, naive to think otherwise.

Agreed its not a shit league, yes a few "easy" games but no more than last season.  But I have sympathy with the viewpoint that its weaker than last season at the top, in that Derby look like finishing 2nd and no way are they the standard of Ipswich or Sheff Wed last season.

11 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yeah, we didn’t win, but you just love highlighting the negatives. 

Enjoy your evening.

You're coming across as a bit odd, with respect.  I spoke about positives and negatives, as I do every game if applicable.  Great game, we can play better.   Enjoy your evening.

10 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

He would have given options to our attack, which we have clearly needed in some of the games. Do you think not having him is a better option?  

Silly statement! Which games did we need him in?

2 minutes ago, woolli said:

Silly statement! Which games did we need him in?

How is that a silly statement? Do you genuinely believe not having him available has been more of a benefit? If so that isn't silly, it is plain stupid 

2 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

How is that a silly statement? Do you genuinely believe not having him available has been more of a benefit? If so that isn't silly, it is plain stupid 

Im saying what would he have given us more than Bod, Collins and Jerome?

4 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

So you genuinely don't believe having him as an option would be preferable than not. Simpleton 

Simpleton? Do you think we would have won any more games with him in? 

3 minutes ago, woolli said:

Simpleton? Do you think we would have won any more games with him in? 

I think having more options available to you increases the chances of you changing games and influencing results, especially in attack.

But no he is shit so we would have lost more 

2 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

I think having more options available to you increases the chances of you changing games and influencing results, especially in attack.

But no he is shit so we would have lost more 

Good to know youve actually realised he his shit! Common sense prevails!

44 minutes ago, woolli said:

My take. We was fantastic first half, poor goal to give away, Maghoma was really good, Santos was fucking fantastic, our like for like subs was shite! We lost our momentum, and impetus. We was by far the best team, but, same old, not clinical enough. See you all at Wembley.

Thought Maghoma was dreadful personally. Lad is either 4/10 or 8/10. Sadly nearer to the former today.

Anniversary tomorrow @Biggish Dave but I paid her off with dark fruits and Bents chicken wings. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt