Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

13 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Big Vic plays we win. 

Your man bod is shite :)

Gets better every game he doesn’t play. Will his wrist still need wrapping up after all this time 

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Aye, being the better side 8/9 times out of 10 regardless of who you’re playing counts for very little at the end of it when you’re only 3rd best overall. 

I was really confident about the play offs yesterday, and rightly so. However the more I think about them I realised it’s not just about how good you can be. It’s about bottle, digging in, keeping calm, taking your chances when they present themselves and not allowing previous experiences scar you. It did dent my confidence a little 🤣

You forgot the most important bloke on the pitch - the ref!  If we have 3 play off games, you just know the ref's going to be as bad as yesterday/Blackpool away in at least 2 of them, and not in our favour.  We need to be better than the opposition, and then a bit more, and expect a crap ref rather than it coming as a surprise. Which at least means not giving him an excuse to send one off or give a pen.

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Ogbeta was off the pace yesterday. Shame as he’s been good 

Another "we all see things differently" comment, but after the first (crucial) 10 minutes, I thought he was one of our better players, really took the game to them.  As @desperado said, he responded superbly to his part in the goal, and to a generally poor opening.  Beat his man time after time, put in some good crosses, set up the goal, and put in one of the crosses of the season in 1st half that was begging to be put in.  

8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You forgot the most important bloke on the pitch - the ref!  If we have 3 play off games, you just know the ref's going to be as bad as yesterday/Blackpool away in at least 2 of them, and not in our favour.  We need to be better than the opposition, and then a bit more, and expect a crap ref rather than it coming as a surprise. Which at least means not giving him an excuse to send one off or give a pen.

Chances are better refs selected in the playoffs, lot of Championship and Prem refs been doing them in years gone by

1 minute ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Chances are better refs selected in the playoffs, lot of Championship and Prem refs been doing them in years gone by

That's a decent point to be fair.  And if they haven't reffed us before at least we haven't had chance to upset/wind 'em up 😀

21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Another "we all see things differently" comment, but after the first (crucial) 10 minutes, I thought he was one of our better players, really took the game to them.  As @desperado said, he responded superbly to his part in the goal, and to a generally poor opening.  Beat his man time after time, put in some good crosses, set up the goal, and put in one of the crosses of the season in 1st half that was begging to be put in.  

No arguments going forward but defensively way off 

TBF to Ogbeta, he’s great going forward but can’t defend and seems to easily get beaten time and again. What I don’t like is there have been a number of 50/50’s and times where he seems to either give up a chase or halfheartedly put a tackle in. Needs more desire for me. Not too dissimilar to Cogley, he can’t defend either but I’d argue Cogley doesn’t offer quite as much going forward, rarely beats his man and is only in the team because of his pace.

I think our biggest issue lies with our inability or unwillingness whichever it is to react or change things. I watched the game yesterday as I’m on holiday but the real turning point was the three pompey subs early on in the second half. It really changed the tide of the game as we’d been all over them to this point and when they were made the game became much more even. The majority of other chances after this were only half chances and I’d argue we looked far from comfortable. Fortunately Santos rose to the occasion and won pretty much all his duals thereafter.

Whether this issue is evatts inability or stubbornness to change I don’t know but when we make subs the flow of the game rarely switches so drastically into our favour. I don’t think we’ve had fantastic options off the bench partly due to injuries but also partly because I’d suggest our backup squad is quite poor. 

Overall, we showed some fight and made a good fist of it however at the end of the day it just wasn’t enough as has been the case on far too many occasions this season.

• Members

So, after trawling through the dross, it seems that we were all correct. We are the best football side in the division but seem to lack that killer instinct.

If it ends up playoffs I believe we will promoted anyway but this isn't over yet. Automatic still a possibility however remote.

18 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

So, after trawling through the dross, it seems that we were all correct. We are the best football side in the division but seem to lack that killer instinct.

If it ends up playoffs I believe we will promoted anyway but this isn't over yet. Automatic still a possibility however remote.

Nobody would've had Palace beating the cult today.

Stranger things have happened and pressure does funny things to folk.

23 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Yep, that pretty much nails it 

2 hours ago, Big E said:

No arguments going forward but defensively way off 

I suppose my expectations are fairly low with our LWBs defensively.  They are all signed for their attacking play and none are "defender" types.   Which explains why Iredale doesn't play LWB, he isn't an attacking type.

If we are ahead in a play off (semi 2nd leg, or final) with 15 to go or whatever, I'd hope Iredale would be brought on to theoretically make us more solid (its not going to happen if all subs are decided pre-match though!).

• The topic was unpinned
7 hours ago, matty2094 said:

VAR and that’s a red. The fact a fourth official is 10m away and can’t see that’s a 2 footed lunge is shite.

Let’s be honest, JDC was his own worst enemy there. Up on his knees straight away and basically ready to get up and play on. Ref’s never going to give a red. Stay down and hold you ankles and you have a chance.

Some chat earlier in the thread about Pompey’s dark arts. Our team are too naive at times.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

It should have been a red anyway just for being a fucking daft tackle. JDC was going towards his own goal, on the halfway line. Tommo got sent off I think at Northampton for a very similar tackle in the same place.

Edited by FrancisFogarty