Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Eagles And Mears

No idea as I don't have a scouting network that works for me or the phone numbers of any agents! Or indeed any influence whatsoever on who he brings into the club so bit of a silly question to as me isn't it?

Why do you need a scouting network, agents or influence at the club to have an opinion on who we should sign? You're happy to voice your opinion about two players who 'arnt good enuff' without access to any of those things.

Why do you need a scouting network, agents or influence at the club to have an opinion on who we should sign? You're happy to voice your opinion about two players who 'arnt good enuff' without access to any of those things.

Ok I wouldn't have let Taylor leave also I'm far better placed to have an opinion on someones ability than availiabillty or price?

Edited by Theboybell

Guest Blixa

Interesting thoughts on the signings thus far, personally think they make sense and at the right price.

Mears is obviously cover. Ricketts still not fit, Steinsson has an injury record, we could be short in that area. We need an extra body.

Eagles is the replacement for Taylor, probably for less wages. Taylor didn't cut it last season, wasn't a regular, suspicion he might not have seen eye-to-eye with Coyle, despite the words in the press. Makes sense. Eagles works well for Coyle and is likely to hit the ground running (as opposed to a young Spanish player).

Looks like we'll also try to sign a striker (Elmander replacement), get one on loan (Sturridge/Wellbeck) and bring in central midfield cover for Muamba (Reo-Coker). Cahill money (if he goes) spent on centre back and perhaps some more defensive cover, left back makes sense.

Result? A better squad and living within our means, especially if some of the youth players (Connolly, Eaves) can come through too. We're a poor club, the manager is working with what he has, we can't afford to go all guns blazing and spending money we don't have, which could break the club. One word - Portsmouth.

• Moderators

why do i keep reading that eagles is a replacement for taylor?

i'll plait sawdust if coyle plays eagles on the left

at best he's company for blake on the bench, cos he aint a patch on lee

why do i keep reading that eagles is a replacement for taylor?

i'll plait sawdust if coyle plays eagles on the left

at best he's company for blake on the bench, cos he aint a patch on lee

Lee ont left, Eagles right? An indirect replacement for Taylor?

Played the second half tonight, both looked sharp, mears put in a few good tackles and eagles got into some good positions, looking positive!

Have they signed for us yet?

For me these are two sensible signings:

Lets remember that Ricketts is injured and when fit will also cover centre back and if necessary left back too. Steinsson many don't think is good enough and whether he is or not he seems to be absent with injury often. Lets not forget that we have already played Robinson on the right this pre-season! Mears gives us some depth there.

When Chung-Yong wasn't playing last year we played Rodrigo (who isn't coming back) and Elmander (who has left) on the right to cover him. I presume the next option would be Holden (who is still injured) or one of the left wingers (and Taylor has just left). Surely it makes sense to have cover, and if he needs to be rested again it gives us the opportunity to not burn him out by playing Eagles.

Sensible signings. Yes strikers are the priority for me but I'm sure Coyle is working on bringing more bodies in so we shouldn't neglect other places we were short last season.

Phew

If they were free transfers as squad fillers then hey ho

But if you were Eddie Davies would you be happy spunking ?3m of your hard earned on these two

ps I've no problem with the other two who have come in Pratley and Reo Coker

Phew

If they were free transfers as squad fillers then hey ho

But if you were Eddie Davies would you be happy spunking ?3m of your hard earned on these two

ps I've no problem with the other two who have come in Pratley and Reo Coker

End of last season we needed left back, right back, centre half, central midfield and a striker.

Matt Taylor has since left

Mears is a right back, i have only seen him once wehn burnely played us after coyle arrived and he was their best player.

Pratley and NRC seem like just the type of players we need in the middle, time will see if they are good enough quality ealry signs good

Doubt we will sign another center half unless cahill goes.

So we need cover at left back, unless thinking is ricky can provide this.

So sell cahill use most for a centre forward, the rest on a centre half and we aint a million miles away.

one of the issues last season was size of squad mears and eagles help with that.

it is nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

One of the issues last season was size of squad mears and eagles help with that.

For me the big issue is and always has been no pace up front. Bugger loans we are back to Square 1 again.

We won't score many unless we sort it and we have just blown ?3m on something else.

Coyle will never organise a defence, so we have to score.

Guess that I would have bought a couple of the "young hungry hopefuls" referred by Coyle not long ago to sort the squad size problem.

At least they might get better. Don't think Mears or Eagles will.

End of last season we needed left back, right back, centre half, central midfield and a striker.

Matt Taylor has since left

Mears is a right back, i have only seen him once wehn burnely played us after coyle arrived and he was their best player.

Pratley and NRC seem like just the type of players we need in the middle, time will see if they are good enough quality ealry signs good

Doubt we will sign another center half unless cahill goes.

So we need cover at left back, unless thinking is ricky can provide this.

So sell cahill use most for a centre forward, the rest on a centre half and we aint a million miles away.

one of the issues last season was size of squad mears and eagles help with that.

it is nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

Like i say, no issues with Reo Coker and Pratley

I'll be interested to see the midfield as we have a lot of players fighting for a few places

I just really don't see what these two though bring to the party but I've no problem with being proved wrong

In fact I hope I am

If he wasn't happy, then he wouldn't be doing it I wouldn't have thought as I'm sure he will have final say on all the "comings and goings" at the club

If he wasn't happy, then he wouldn't be doing it I wouldn't have thought as I'm sure he will have final say on all the "comings and goings" at the club

What i mean is if you were sat in the Reclining Parker Knoll, wearing Eddies silk monogrammed dressing gown and velvet slippers and in walked Big Phil saying "I've got a deal and a half Uncle Eddie, put that 2* Metaxa down, Eagles and Mears, 3 cough, cough mill, cough ion"

Would you sign it?

Anyhow, you bring in the manager, you back the manager, in fact the minute you question any incomings means the begining of the end.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.