Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile On The Rovers Board

miamiwhite

About 20 of lads from the Village caught the first train from Bolton and started drinking in a small terraced pub on Bolton Rd about half way from the town centre and Ewood. The landlord was a Wanderer and the dad of one of our lads Alan Williamson (Willy) . They previously had The White Horse in Little Lever. By 5pm we were steaming. Ended up slap bang centre at the back of the Darwin end. When FW scored the surge was tremendous. Never been in a goal celebration like it. Ended up back at the pub for a lock in and slept on the floor. Happy days!

About 20 of lads from the Village caught the first train from Bolton and started drinking in a small terraced pub on Bolton Rd about half way from the town centre and Ewood. The landlord was a Wanderer and the dad of one of our lads Alan Williamson (Willy) . They previously had The White Horse in Little Lever. By 5pm we were steaming. Ended up slap bang centre at the back of the Darwin end. When FW scored the surge was tremendous. Never been in a goal celebration like it. Ended up back at the pub for a lock in and slept on the floor. Happy days!

Was he a shaven headed Lever Ender? bit of a handful if i remember :)

Was he a shaven headed Lever Ender? bit of a handful if i remember :)

Nope, two different Willys i think. You're thinking of AW, a big skinhead from Breightmet who was high up the Lever End pecking order. He's still around & goes to scooter/mod type events but not football for many, many years.

I think BG is on about Willy a long haired, hippyish type, sound lad, I last saw at a Blackburn away game more than 5 years ago who still lived in B/burn then.

There's also Willy B from Breightmet who followed Bolton all over during the crap years & was a "character". I don't think he goes now.

• Site Supporter

Now that was a surge!

• Members

Yep, was at both. But I don't remember the Cardiff match at all - only heading back on the train later.

Remember it well. Remember being in the Ninian Arms drinking shite 'Brains Ales' before the game and the windows came in.

Ended up in some paddock in front of the main stand and some absolute honey walked into the directors box and gave us a lovely smile and a cheeky wave. When the cheers and waving back died down, some galoot yelled out "show us yer pissflaps" just at that silent moment. The lass just wished the ground would open up.

On the way back, we went through Ross On Wye and one of the Athy lads ordered a pork pie which the serving wench pulled out of the freezer and lobbed straight into the chip fat!

Gutted we lost but the compensation wasn't far away. Unforgettable night at Ewood and 20,000 plus Bolton is definitely not an exaggeration.

Remember it well. Remember being in the Ninian Arms drinking shite 'Brains Ales' before the game and the windows came in.

Ended up in some paddock in front of the main stand and some absolute honey walked into the directors box and gave us a lovely smile and a cheeky wave. When the cheers and waving back died down, some galoot yelled out "show us yer pissflaps" just at that silent moment. The lass just wished the ground would open up.

On the way back, we went through Ross On Wye and one of the Athy lads ordered a pork pie which the serving wench pulled out of the freezer and lobbed straight into the chip fat!

Gutted we lost but the compensation wasn't far away. Unforgettable night at Ewood and 20,000 plus Bolton is definitely not an exaggeration.

We was in the Ninian Park early doors; Bolton filled it and Cardiff piled in about 2 but got one hell of a kicking.

one of the posters saying ''men in black leather jackets were stood all around the back of us''

Bolton - trendsetters in the 70's

also one of the posters saying 'a lad in a red away shirt was carried aloft by the fans at the end,they thought he was a player''.............superb

i think ''thewarhurstward'' will have to stay undercover and nice until those bigger turds than wigan drop then cue the abuse :blush:

Great stuff

Some of our away followings in the mid to late 70s were incredible the Everton away semi-final was their 12,000 Bolton on Derby 1/4 final was 8,000 but that Blackburn game was incredible Bolton were in the majority on 3 sides of the ground, and a large amount on there main end.

Boxing Day 1978 at Blackpool would have to come in to the equation in any discussion about huge Bolton away followings in the 70s.

am i dreaming we had 9 at liverpool for white hot?

10 at united for the cup game

good numbers at everton white hot

everton league cup

huddersfield

nope your not dreaming; did them all but nothing like Blackburn

Probably about 12000 at Huddersfield int cup when we won 1-0

• Moderators

am i dreaming we had 9 at liverpool for white hot?

10 at united for the cup game

good numbers at everton white hot

everton league cup

huddersfield

8,500 at Liverpool. Think that's what they said on the bbc highlights that I watched many, many times, that was about our average gate at the time too

9,000 at Everton - away end plus some in upper of main stand.

4,500 for a night match at Arsenal wasn't shabby either.

As a percentage of our home crowds we had some amazing followings in the 80s and early 90s - Wigan, where we regularly took over 4k and maybe 6k that first Boxing Day (when average home was about 5k), Blackpool, Wrexham, Hull.

It's a shame it's a much smaller percentage of our home crowd who travel now. I know cost is the main factor.