Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Islamic State

Underpants

• Site Supporter

Been to the US a few times and without exception the people on passport control are the most robotic, miserable personality-free zones you'll ever encounter.

Spot on. Only ever been there for work reasons, and always into Chicago O'Hare. Spoken to like a piece of shit every single time.

(Off topic, but I was sat behind Amir Khan on one occasion about 10 years ago. Didn't even realise until the end of the flight when a stewardess came over and said something to him, and he gave her a load of signed photo's for a group who'd recognised him. Him and his mates got special treatment and were ushered through a side door rather than having to queue up at Arrivals. Had a quick chat with him about Wanderers as we were stood at the luggage carousel. One of the nicest lads you could wish to meet.)

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

Booo! Cheese is obviously Amir Khan.

Not having it a local lad is successful AND down to earth.

This was about 10 years ago. Might have been 2007 actually, but I'd have to check my old expense reports. He might be an UTTER CUNT now...

I've found them a mixed bag to be fair

First time I went into San Fran and it took forever and they wanted to know everything

Went back this year into JFK, as it was over 2 years my ETSA had expired so we got a new one and joined the stupidly long queue

Luckily a helpful customs guy came down the queue checking passports and as we had the stamp from a previous visit he pulled us out the big queue and through the empty self scanners the natives were using

He was really helpful to be fair

I concur with the mixed bag. Chicago in the 80's and 90's were either full on stern or jokey smiling cunts. Florida were always brilliant especially with the kids. Worse for me was when I took an AA flight to Chicago on the Friday and flew straight out to spend the weekend with my sis in Toronto. When I went through immigration at Toronto on Sunday evening for the flight back to Chicago I was grilled for an hour as to why I was going to do two weeks work in Illinois and what could I do that an American could not. He could not compute when I told him I was a shareholder and Director of the company I was going to visit.

As for the travelling group, I have been told is that one of em had posted something mildly sympathetic to ISIS on Facebook after Paris. Perhaps bollocks but would not surprise me in the slightest. 

Edited by bgoefc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

not the first time either from what I read on the bbc, seems like this was the tamest one in terms of death toll as well

Turkey has also been hit by bomb attacks blamed by prosecutors on the so-called Islamic State group. Two suicide blasts in the capital Ankara in October killed more than 100 people and more than 30 people were killed in an attack near the border with Syria in July.

Apologies for pinching Danny G's tinfoil hat but I wouldn't put it past this Erdogan chap in charge of Turkey to do something like this.

I seem to remember the previous bombing last August has been unclaimed but played right into his election campaign

Apologies for pinching Danny G's tinfoil hat but I wouldn't put it past this Erdogan chap in charge of Turkey to do something like this.

I seem to remember the previous bombing last August has been unclaimed but played right into his election campaign

Cameron has the ultimate solution up his sleeve.

Once his time as Mayor of London is up Boris can be parachuted in to resolve the Turkey/Iraq/Syria mess and avenge the murder of his great-grandfather, who had been Minister of the Interior for the Ottoman Empire. This will also get him out of the way while the Heathrow decision is finalised or deferred yet again. As he is New York born (but no longer aspiring to be President) the Americans will be happy too.

• 3 weeks later...