Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

A true legend of our club who doesn't get the credit he deserves :)

V jealous you had lunch with him BTW. What did Tommo have?

Haha! There's only one thing for any male to have in Frankies Bistro in Bispham Village on a Tuesday dinner time and thats the Frankies XL Breakfast!

He came in with his mrs and sat next to me and my dad. Him and my dad go back years and he was my brothers football manager at Blackpool Rangers from under 9's to under 17's.

Really is a lovely bloke and always has time for a chat about football.

Totally shat on by Blackpool...sacked by text at 8am after over a decade there all for standing up to Oyston over poor training facilities.

Drinks in Claremont Working men's club of a tea time if ever your passing mate!

Edited by gonzo

Anyone remember Steve Thommo that played for Bolton in the 1980's?

went on kick off after we drew at home to Walsall in the 3rd Division and said he couldn't commit himself to Bolton because Luton were interested.

I don't think Thompson was even as good as Tony Kelly or Neil Redfern let alone Peter Reid, Tony Henry or Jason McAteer.

Thompson's massive weakness was that he was soft as shit, he avoided the physical side of the game

Another one who flopped at Wembley, Tranmere's midfield workhorses were too much on the day

• Site Supporter

went on kick off after we drew at home to Walsall in the 3rd Division and said he couldn't commit himself to Bolton because Luton were interested.

I don't think Thompson was even as good as Tony Kelly or Neil Redfern let alone Peter Reid, Tony Henry or Jason McAteer.

Thompson's massive weakness was that he was soft as shit, he avoided the physical side of the game

Another one who flopped at Wembley, Tranmere's midfield workhorses were too much on the day

This

Thommo was always a better player at Leicester than he ever was for us

This

Thommo was always a better player at Leicester than he ever was for us

I think it's more that he played with better players.

If he'd had players like Walker and McGinlay in front of him instead of Oghani and Cross he'd be being mentioned in the same breath as Gudni now.

Good grief. Tommo played over 400 games for the club in the bottom 2 divisons, you don't do that if you are soft. There were enough cloggers around to do a job but only Tommo and Ray Walker at Port Vale offered any sort of class at that time.

And as for loyalty, look at that number again, over 400 appearances for the club. Redfearn walked out on the club after one season and Reid refused to play to force a move to Arsenal before he was injured.

• Moderators

Good grief. Tommo played over 400 games for the club in the bottom 2 divisons, you don't do that if you are soft. There were enough cloggers around to do a job but only Tommo and Ray Walker at Port Vale offered any sort of class at that time.

And as for loyalty, look at that number again, over 400 appearances for the club. Redfearn walked out on the club after one season and Reid refused to play to force a move to Arsenal before he was injured.

wahey :)

you imagined it

redfearn had a 48 year career inc seasons in the prem

he couldn't get picked for us ahead of joyce

oddly, he decided it wasnt for him

In the early days of this forum I actually though you were him in real life.