Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

Read this morning that Rovers are in trouble because the Indian government are starting to get involved with the cash that is being sent over to the UK by the Venky’s to prop them up. They had to go to court to get emergency permission for a £26m transfer to be approved to pay an HMRC bill, which got granted, but they have to now go back to court to renew their ‘special permission agreement’. Some new rule in India, to stop Indians taking cash out of India effectively means the Indian courts are in control of Rovers and will only allow payments to ‘keep the lights on’ and not for new transfers etc.

Venky’s have now ploughed £184m in to cover losses, they’ve recently loaned out their captain to Ipswich to cut costs and have apparently said they are going to sell more players this window to cut more costs.

I’ve never known how this can end well for them without getting promoted (same as the position we were in, who would buy them!!?) and it looks like Venky’s might end up having the question of continued funding taken out of their hands. The end could be nigh (or at least a rapid reduction in funding which would likely see them drop down the leagues).

Also read that PNE lost £15m this year, on top of a £22m loss for last year and wages are 140% of revenue. Also not sustainable and unlikely that the Hemmings family fancy pissing away their inheritance propping them up.

Might be interesting for some, completely uninteresting for others - I just think it points to them both soon going on the downward part of a mid-sized football club’s cycle whilst we’re likely now on the upwards part after doing that journey for the past 5-7 years or so.

Just now, Eddie said:

Read this morning that Rovers are in trouble because the Indian government are starting to get involved with the cash that is being sent over to the UK by the Venky’s to prop them up. They had to go to court to get emergency permission for a £26m transfer to be approved to pay an HMRC bill, which got granted, but they have to now go back to court to renew their ‘special permission agreement’. Some new rule in India, to stop Indians taking cash out of India effectively means the Indian courts are in control of Rovers and will only allow payments to ‘keep the lights on’ and not for new transfers etc.

Venky’s have now ploughed £184m in to cover losses, they’ve recently loaned out their captain to Ipswich to cut costs and have apparently said they are going to sell more players this window to cut more costs.

I’ve never known how this can end well for them without getting promoted (same as the position we were in, who would buy them!!?) and it looks like Venky’s might end up having the question of continued funding taken out of their hands. The end could be nigh (or at least a rapid reduction in funding which would likely see them drop down the leagues).

Also read that PNE lost £15m this year, on top of a £22m loss for last year and wages are 140% of revenue. Also not sustainable and unlikely that the Hemmings family fancy pissing away their inheritance propping them up.

Might be interesting for some, completely uninteresting for others - I just think it points to them both soon going on the downward part of a mid-sized football club’s cycle whilst we’re likely now on the upwards part after doing that journey for the past 5-7 years or so.

Got a tenner on Rovers going down at 33/1 on Betway but I suspect they will be saved by the fact that the bottom three are utter shite. 

• Site Supporter

Looks like CMG will be back before too long - getting walloped today so will be out. 1 more match prob middle of next week then home by late January/early Feb

EDIT

Just looked, they play their final game on Monday. Every chance he'll be back as an option for Carlisle or at worst, Blackpool. 

Came on after 64 minutes today

Edited by Biggish Dave

12 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Looks like CMG will be back before too long - getting walloped today so will be out. 1 more match prob middle of next week then home by late January/early Feb

Bit worrying that he hasn’t forced his way into their starting line up. He really needs to kick on when back with us.

1 hour ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Bit worrying that he hasn’t forced his way into their starting line up. He really needs to kick on when back with us.

He's been on his holidays really

I do despair at Managers going OTT. I know we can all get passionate, overly so. I know this is their job, ther income but Blackpool boss, Neil Critchley ,is raging about how the replay last night didn't have VAR despite it being there in the first game.

I know Rob Edwards had remarked on it too, possibly Evatt, but this is such bullshit.

"Blackpool boss Neil Critchley felt the goal could have been disallowed for offside and said the fact video assistant referee technology was used at the first match and not the replay was damaging the "integrity of the competition". "

Oh, do f'cough.

It's not like VAR settles arguments anyway.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I do despair at Managers going OTT. I know we can all get passionate, overly so. I know this is their job, ther income but Blackpool boss, Neil Critchley ,is raging about how the replay last night didn't have VAR despite it being there in the first game.

I know Rob Edwards had remarked on it too, possibly Evatt, but this is such bullshit.

"Blackpool boss Neil Critchley felt the goal could have been disallowed for offside and said the fact video assistant referee technology was used at the first match and not the replay was damaging the "integrity of the competition". "

Oh, do f'cough.

It's not like VAR settles arguments anyway.

Whether you think it does or it doesn't 

All teams should have the benefit of that's what the FA want 

So give it to everyone and if you can't then give to no one 

• Members
2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Whether you think it does or it doesn't 

All teams should have the benefit of that's what the FA want 

So give it to everyone and if you can't then give to no one 

And if you can't understand why VAR was available at Luton and not ours and can't understand why the Blackpool manager is right then you need your head checking 

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

And if you can't understand why VAR was available at Luton and not ours and can't understand why the Blackpool manager is right then you need your head checking 

I wonder if he would have complained if, during the first match, Forest had scored a goal or two at home, only to have them disallowed by VAR?

Goals that, had they been scored at Blackpool, would have counted.

It works both ways.

28 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Why would I not understand why it was & wasn't available ?

Not every ground is set up for it.

where it isn't I very much doubt it can be fitted, calibrated & reliably operational in the space between a first & second game.

Provided it isn't part used, part not used during a single game I see no reason why a match lacks credibility.

Critchley is just searching for an excuse, like too many managers do.

If a single outcome has to be enacted then sack VAR off, it only creates more issues than it solves.

I'll give my head a shake for you but I'm not sure it's me that needs it tbqh.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Why would I not understand why it was & wasn't available ?

Not every ground is set up for it.

where it isn't I very much doubt it can be fitted, calibrated & reliably operational in the space between a first & second game.

Provided it isn't part used, part not used during a single game I see no reason why a match lacks credibility.

Critchley is just searching for an excuse, like too many managers do.

If a single outcome has to be enacted then sack VAR off, it only creates more issues than it solves.

I'll give my head a shake for you but I'm not sure it's me that needs it tbqh.

Quite.

Additionally: I might be wrong, but I reckon VAR rules out more goals that were initially given, than it allows ones initially given offside.

Thus, as the side most likely to have most possession, chances and goals, the premier league side is arguably more likely to be adversely affected by VAR, than the lower league side.