Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Frank

davidjack

His goal at Blackburn in 78 was just on a prog called Mavericks on itv4...don't think I've ever seen it before. Quite a few jumped up in Blackburn end when it went in...some of the 15-20k Wanderers fans there that night. A game I was just too young to be taken to. His Ipswich goal was on as well, which I never tire of seeing. 8 caps for England - what a waste.

His goal at Blackburn in 78 was just on a prog called Mavericks on itv4...don't think I've ever seen it before. Quite a few jumped up in Blackburn end when it went in...some of the 15-20k Wanderers fans there that night. A game I was just too young to be taken to. His Ipswich goal was on as well, which I never tire of seeing. 8 caps for England - what a waste.

A few jumped up ? Half the end was Bolton. I think the end was 'cleared' of Blackburn about 15 minutes before kick off, always wondered what would have happened if they had scored that night would have be scarey.

A few jumped up ? Half the end was Bolton. I think the end was 'cleared' of Blackburn about 15 minutes before kick off, always wondered what would have happened if they had scored that night would have be scarey.

The whole ground went up, what a night that was ... I couldn't speak the next day, Id lost my voice

What a night.

Train to mill hill.

Had to go in their end.

Still to this day the largest ever away following at Ewood since the 60's. Previous home game attendances were around 8thou.

At least 20 thou bolton on that night.

Absolute bedlam when worthy scored.

On all 4 sides.

He seamed to take ages to shoot.

Got a right kick in my back off some Dingle as I celebrated.

After game train back to Bolton.

Only place we could get in was Space City !!!!

One hell of a night !!!

Any wiggly worms, you fucking crackpot?

Bloody Hell , how on earth could the worms be there.

Google it . Wiggly Worms undertake a mass exodus to the Old Cheshire saltmines as soon as the first daffodils appear. Only to return at the annual Hawkfest at Manchester Academy in October.

Don't they teach kids owt at school these days.

First away match for me was this. Went at the back of Riveside terrace bit; saw sweet fuck all for 90mins. My mum made me go with a 60 year old lady called Doris from Tonge Moor. I was hardcore even back then.

Did Doris have false teeth

I wonder if the 80s would have turned out differently if he'd not fallen out with Greaves and we'd not let him go to Birmingham in that second season in Div 1? And if Reid hadn't been injured?

....and Roy Greaves retiring to br replaced by that disaster Cantello

• 2 weeks later...

Len Cantello what a total disaster that was.

It stood as our record transfer for many years as a reminder of where it all went wrong!

I may be wrong but was it Fab DeFreitas that finally knocked LC off the record signing spot? 

What went wrong with this Cantello? Was he just dogshit

He was a bread and butter player but played for a really top notch WBA alongside the likes of Bryan Robson, Laurie Cunningham and Cyril Regis they probably made him look better than he was while our players made him look worse than he was also he'd come from a team who were a match for anyone and were on the crest of a wave when he came to Bolton we were pretty well washed up.