Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Star Wars - Contains Spoilers

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter

Right...

Perfect passing of the baton from the old to the new, thought it did what it needed to do to set it all up.

I had dust in my eye a couple of times, it felt so much like a Star Wars film of that makes sense.

Also the comedy element was suprisingly good

Few Questions that spring to mind I've a few more but you lot might have them...

How did Ben get tempted by Snook to the dark side

How fucking tall is snook!

is Rey A Skywalker and how come she could use Jedi mind tricks

Did I hear Obi Wan say Rey when she saw the dark side whilst she had the lightsaber

• Site Supporter

All Jedis don't have to be Skywalkers! That said, I'm sure she'll turn out to have some sort of connection.

(As an aside, I'd bum her until they needed police horses to pull me off)

The Han Solo scene on the bridge was done perfectly, could have been messy very easily.

The comedy was fantastic, but I think they'll need to curtail the references to the old episodes now or it could get a bit samey

10/10 for me though, ticked every box and actually improved on the originals in many ways.

I'm going again next week.

• Site Supporter

I know all Jedi aren't Skywalkers but they need training don't they!

The bridge seen was brilliant, I was kind of expecting an temple of doom type scenario where the bridge split in two and he climbed to safety.

The thing I loved was X-wings and Tie fighters, Admiral Ackbar

I might go again!

• Site Supporter

Excellent - the dark original theme was fantastic, so many parallels to episode 4.

They are clearly and purposefully leaving questions unanswered but would love to know who snook is, how he tempted Ben to dark side and what Rays links are to the past as well as the disappearance of Luke - like you say needs a 2nd viewing!

I thought it was brilliant. I was expecting an improvement but not to that extent. The best compliment I can pay it is that I enjoyed as much as parts 4,5 and 6.

Couple of points -

Leia needs killing off as her top lip is unable to move - maybe they could CGI it.

The Empire need to close these easily exploitable loop holes in their master plans.

So glad they killed off Han Solo. Not because I wanted him to die but because there was one terrifying moment when I thought they were going to hug on the bridge which would have been bullshit.

I'm really struggling to find much fault with it. In a strange way I already care what happens to the new characters as much as the old. That's a hell of an achievement. Hopefully the next one will be dark as fook in line with TESB.

JJ Abrams is now my second favourite JJ after Okocha! :-)

Loved it!

I don't think Snoke will turn out to be that tall - think it will be a distortion due to the hologram.

The guy who plays Finn is going to be huge star. Saw him on Graham Norton - bags of charm.

Loved the ending, figured she was Luke's daughter. Maybe too obvious?

Geek fact -the stormtrooper in the scene where Ray uses the jedi mind trick to get out of the restraints is Daniel Craig! 

Ok here goes

It was fantastic in many ways - it felt like the first 3 and recaptured the soul of Star Wars for me. Visually absolutely stunning....

but I have a few gripes

Firstly; the repetition has frustrated me; it was very, very like a rehash of a new hope. Some new ideas away from a planetary super weapon and them having to bring down shields etc would be nice...just like - Rey was the Skywalker; BB8 the R2D2, Snoke the Emperor, Ren the Vader, Hux the Tarkin, Luke the Yoda, Fin the Han Solo etc....

I also thought Kylo Ren lost his aura when he took his helmet off. I know he's conflicted yadda yadda but I couldn't talk him seriously then, the big fanny. Also he shouldn't be struggling to fight against Rey....she picked up the force far too quickly - it goes against everything really...her realisation of it was ridiculous.

Captain Phasma.....a completely wasted part for me; could've been an interesting character but not used at all

Also, regarding Snoke...I've read he is 7ft tall, and the projection is obviously for effect. Theories are that he could

also be Plagueis, but I don't think he will be.

Edited by jules_darby

The repetition frustrated me too

I don't see Finn as Han Solo I see that in Poe Dameron,

You have to remember Kylo Ren had been shot in the side just before the fight and her picking it up too quickly can be for 2 reasons 1) something happened when she picked up Lukes lightsaber or  2) she was trained by Luke at some point and has had her memory blocked which maybe reverted when 1 happened

Edited by tyldesley_white

The repetition frustrated me too

I don't see Fin as Han Solo I see that in Phasma,

You have to remember Kylo Ren had been shot in the side just before the fight and her picking it up too quickly can be for 2 reasons 1) something happened when she picked up Lukes lightsaber or  2) she was trained by Luke at some point and has had her memory blocked which maybe reverted when 1 happened

Yep the flashbacks when she picked up the lightsabre might be developed in the next one. Hope so

Pretty much agree with Jules. It was good, fantastically entertaining yes but some variants in the main plot from Episode IV would have been better. At least we didn't get the Lucas (prequels) attempts at a plot though. I couldn't give a fuck about trade negotiations George

Though I thought Kylo Ren was very well done and seeing his face didn't matter so much, to me anyway. Best line in the film...."anything else?" I was pissing my sides until I realised I was the only one laughing in the cinema.

Rey albeit someone who I think will go places, does seem too much like another Keira Knightley.

I was genuinely gutted seeing Chewbacca after Han was killed. I'm 42 for fucks sake.

• Site Supporter

Some people queue up to knock it and I'm not sure what they expect

Will never win oscars, but it's wonderfully enjoyable if you let it be

These are the type of people who would moan if the Minogue sisters spent a night sucking their dick

Ignore

Ok here goes

It was fantastic in many ways - it felt like the first 3 and recaptured the soul of Star Wars for me. Visually absolutely stunning....

but I have a few gripes

Firstly; the repetition has frustrated me; it was very, very like a rehash of a new hope. Some new ideas away from a planetary super weapon and them having to bring down shields etc would be nice...just like - Rey was the Skywalker; BB8 the R2D2, Snoke the Emperor, Ren the Vader, Hux the Tarkin, Luke the Yoda, Fin the Han Solo etc....

I also thought Kylo Ren lost his aura when he took his helmet off. I know he's conflicted yadda yadda but I couldn't talk him seriously then, the big fanny. Also he shouldn't be struggling to fight against Rey....she picked up the force far too quickly - it goes against everything really...her realisation of it was ridiculous.

Captain Phasma.....a completely wasted part for me; could've been an interesting character but not used at all

Also, regarding Snoke...I've read he is 7ft tall, and the projection is obviously for effect. Theories are that he could

also be Plagueis, but I don't think he will be.

The Emperor didn't feature in ANH.....JSL

Is it established Kylo Ren was an only child?

I loved it; however I agree about the pace, but would've been four hours long otherwise. The range of emotions I experienced surprised me... Am glad I opted for regular version first off (with eldest, and her surprisingly few questions), with Imax next week... Think I may have been blown away. Reserving judgement on where it sits until then. There is some repetition of plot, but its forgiven for character introduction and erm... termination ????

Leias lip wants blasting

Absolutely superb I thought.

I agree about kylo ren losing his best ever 'baddie' appeal when he lost his helmet. Reminded me of a young snape off Harry Potter and I know he got shot previously by chewy but he still got a good twatting by Rey.

How come r2d2 only fired up at the end to release lukes whereabouts and how did kylo ren get vaders helmet?

The Special effects in the tie fighter x wing fight scenes were superb and I loved the more detailed 5-10 minutes of film inside the millennium falcon, which tied it in nicely with the older films.

I'm a bit gutted jj Abrams is only doing this film though.

• Site Supporter

just got back.. i want to go again tomorrow..

Loved every second of it.. 

Finn is just a great character.. the whole concept of being a disillusioned trooper is brilliant, and loved how he explained how the troopers were now developed.