Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Muhammad Ali

DaveTheRave

RIP big man at least now you dont have to struggle any more

RIP indeed. Plus, the real scary thing is we never saw the best of him thanks to his 3 years out for the Vietnam thing. So we never saw him in his absolute prime; God alone knows what that would have been like. 

Plus Harry Carpenters radio commentary reaction to the Foreman win: "Oh my God...":

[media]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZjyWvQmiY[/media]

RIP - a talented and inspirational man.

Sadly we've moved on so little that I reckon he'd be slated by many on here if he was only just coming to prominence today.

Can we not have this thread just paying tribute and not have you shoe horning your Guardian reading views in?

Can we not have this thread just paying tribute and not have you shoe horning your Guardian reading views in?

You're right. I'd like to apologise for any offence caused to any of the Ali family who might be reading this thread. And I don't read the Guardian.

Just watched the SSN bit on him. Really good viewing.

Probably won't see modern sportsmen sticking up for their own view points in such a way again. You'll also probably never see the big fights go on tour like his later big fights did.

Just watched the SSN bit on him. Really good viewing.

Probably won't see modern sportsmen sticking up for their own view points in such a way again. You'll also probably never see the big fights go on tour like his later big fights did.

For a man who spent a lifetime coming up with quotable lines, one of his best was....

'If a man looks at the world when he is 50 the same way he looked at it when he was 20 and it hasn’t changed, then he has wasted 30 years of his life'

• Site Supporter

Having watched a few bits of TV today and now BBC 1 on Ali, he's not half made an impression on the world.

Is he the sportsperson that more people have heard of than anyone else? Surely, even people who don't care for sport have heard of Ali