Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Moderators

I'd be interested to know how would you (or anyone else) propose he keeps the club running if he isn't going to put his hand in his pocket - until he finds a buyer?

Would you sell Madine and Vela and put that money towards the £6 million perhaps as a start?

I'm guessing he got some cash to help do this by negotiating the early payments on Rob Holding

and the 2 gigs in the summer will probably help

other than that, I don't know, but as said, there have been rumours, all be them rumours, that ED still helps out

and my point is I would have thought he has other options lined up before he starts paying himself, I don't know what they are, but I bet he is reluctant to start funding the club himself and will do what he can not too as I don't think he got into this to spend his own cash on keeping the club going

in the BN today he says he hopes, all be it rather optimistically, to be breaking even by the summer, so maybe he's sorted much of the mess out one way or another, or intends to

if it comes about by him financing from his personal fortune, I'll be surprised

I'm guessing he got some cash to help do this by negotiating the early payments on Rob Holding

and the 2 gigs in the summer will probably help

other than that, I don't know, but as said, there have been rumours, all be them rumours, that ED still helps out

and my point is I would have thought he has other options lined up before he starts paying himself, I don't know what they are, but I bet he is reluctant to start funding the club himself and will do what he can not too as I don't think he got into this to spend his own cash on keeping the club going

in the BN today he says he hopes, all be it rather optimistically, to be breaking even by the summer, so maybe he's sorted much of the mess out one way or another, or intends to

if it comes about by him financing from his personal fortune, I'll be surprised

He needs the £6 million to get to summer, so the revenue from the gigs won't come into play, I doubt any early (discounted remember!) payments for Holding would amount to anything like £6 million and you've nothing else to offer as to where the money will come from apart from your own gut feeling that it won't be from Anderson's pocket.

Not a very convincing financial analysis of reality is it?

Anderson states that he's deferred payment of the BluMarble loan to next season (September) so I assume that would help significantly depending on what amount should have been paid in this years accounts.

He also states the old outstanding tax bill with HMRC will be paid this month - so somebody somewhere has found a wodge of money to do that - I wonder who would have done that if not Ken?  Eddie perhaps - but isn't he the same man that refused to pay his own tax bill for the club and thus brought on all the original court actions against us?

Anderson is obviously no fool and would not want to lose his money but why would people like Davies want to put money into the club if Anderson has money and won't do it himself - it doesn't make any sense does it?  It's a bit like going into the Dragons Den TV show and asking them to invest in your business but when they ask you what you are putting in to make it work, you reply 'I'm not risking a penny of my own money in that in case I lose it!' - hardly going to make them want to put money in does it? 

Davies might help at cash flow problem times perhaps but I very much doubt he's doing it constantly (if at all) simply because he thinks Ken's a good bloke who is in over his head financially.

Never the less your opinion is just as valid as mine - although I've attempted to give a reasoned analysis about how I got to my views and you've simply gone with just your gut feeling.

• Moderators

Never the less your opinion is just as valid as mine - although I've attempted to give a reasoned analysis about how I got to my views and you've simply gone with just your gut feeling.

Reasoned analysis = gut feeling

If he wants to make 5m from a sale he will be losing money if he stumps up 6m to keep the club going

Anything less is eating into his profit

All we can do is watch

Reasoned analysis = gut feeling

If he wants to make 5m from a sale he will be losing money if he stumps up 6m to keep the club going

Anything less is eating into his profit

All we can do is watch

How is he going to get anything let alone £5 million if the club runs out of money before he can sell it?

Somebody somewhere has to find the money to pay the wages and the bills before then.

If not Anderson then who?

If no one does then it's Administration and Anderson get's nothing.

Anyway, have we signed anyone or interested in signing anyone or even sold anyone.

Isn’t the transfer thread supposed to be about that?

This sort of shit about finances which none of us can do anything about doesn’t belong on here.

Are you for real?

It's the finances that determine if we can afford to buy/loan someone or if we have to sell our best players urgently in this window!

The last couple of pages have basically been about do we have to sell Madine or not - ie do we have the finances to continue to the end of the year or do we have to flog off Madine to keep solvent.

He needs the £6 million to get to summer, so the revenue from the gigs won't come into play, I doubt any early (discounted remember!) payments for Holding would amount to anything like £6 million and you've nothing else to offer as to where the money will come from apart from your own gut feeling that it won't be from Anderson's pocket.

Not a very convincing financial analysis of reality is it?

Anderson states that he's deferred payment of the BluMarble loan to next season (September) so I assume that would help significantly depending on what amount should have been paid in this years accounts.

He also states the old outstanding tax bill with HMRC will be paid this month - so somebody somewhere has found a wodge of money to do that - I wonder who would have done that if not Ken?  Eddie perhaps - but isn't he the same man that refused to pay his own tax bill for the club and thus brought on all the original court actions against us?

Anderson is obviously no fool and would not want to lose his money but why would people like Davies want to put money into the club if Anderson has money and won't do it himself - it doesn't make any sense does it?  It's a bit like going into the Dragons Den TV show and asking them to invest in your business but when they ask you what you are putting in to make it work, you reply 'I'm not risking a penny of my own money in that in case I lose it!' - hardly going to make them want to put money in does it? 

Davies might help at cash flow problem times perhaps but I very much doubt he's doing it constantly (if at all) simply because he thinks Ken's a good bloke who is in over his head financially.

I think that the counter-argument might be that Ken delays payments on debts for as long as possible and does so to either allow the club to pay it via cash-flow or Ken to cover it for a short time and then be repaid back as and when cash-flow allows. 

Does evidence support that being the case? Probably as much as anything else. I too can't see Eddie Davies pitching in, he wanted out so he wouldn't have to.

There seems to be talk that the club is still under a transfer embargo, and when put to the club they have refused to comment. Which again points to Ken not exactly being forthcoming when guaranteeing his funds.

This is not a dig at Ken. He never said he would support the club financially. Nor should he. He said he'd get it running within its means. Which he is doing. The issue is that we're a bit at breaking point in terms of doing that and being competitive on the pitch. Whilst clearly staying up would improve the value of the business, so far, the evidence points to a very conservative and cautious approach. We're not exactly going out and smashing the transfer market to improve our squad.  

• Moderators

How is he going to get anything let alone £5 million if the club runs out of money before he can sell it?

Somebody somewhere has to find the money to pay the wages and the bills before then.

If not Anderson then who?

If no one does then it's Administration and Anderson get's nothing.

I don't know, that's KAs problem, he doesn't know either:

I would like to be starting next season close to breaking even for the first time in a very long time. Whether that happens, I don’t know, it may be a little ambitious.

• Moderators

Madine will be in the last year of his contract in the next transfer window, so this is as strong as our negotiating position is going to get.

If we’re intent on keeping him, should we be talking about an extension to his current deal?

wasn't the comment in the BN that by staying now he can go in the summer if an offer comes in?  guess that's when his future will be decided

wasn't the comment in the BN that by staying now he can go in the summer if an offer comes in? guess that's when his future will be decided

Haven’t seen that. I think most clubs would be in a position to find a solid replacement but I don’t know that we are. I do think we’ll get next to fuck all for him in the final year of his contract, though.

Madine will be in the last year of his contract in the next transfer window, so this is as strong as our negotiating position is going to get.

If we’re intent on keeping him, should we be talking about an extension to his current deal?

Yep. But in Ken's latest column he's talking about reducing the wage bill again. So not sure what room that leaves for negotiating a new deal with an in demand striker. 

I don't know, that's KAs problem, he doesn't know either:

I would like to be starting next season close to breaking even for the first time in a very long time. Whether that happens, I don’t know, it may be a little ambitious.

I think he's probably got in mind things like whether or not he can get Amos wages off the books and getting out of the Macron contract rather than not having a Scooby Doo about how to finance the club in general.

I think that the counter-argument might be that Ken delays payments on debts for as long as possible and does so to either allow the club to pay it via cash-flow or Ken to cover it for a short time and then be repaid back as and when cash-flow allows. 

Does evidence support that being the case? Probably as much as anything else. I too can't see Eddie Davies pitching in, he wanted out so he wouldn't have to.

There seems to be talk that the club is still under a transfer embargo, and when put to the club they have refused to comment. Which again points to Ken not exactly being forthcoming when guaranteeing his funds.

This is not a dig at Ken. He never said he would support the club financially. Nor should he. He said he'd get it running within its means. Which he is doing. The issue is that we're a bit at breaking point in terms of doing that and being competitive on the pitch. Whilst clearly staying up would improve the value of the business, so far, the evidence points to a very conservative and cautious approach. We're not exactly going out and smashing the transfer market to improve our squad.  

Hardly a counter-argument as I'd already spoken of deferring debt repayments on my post above.  My point again being that unless he can defer £6 million amount of debt, we still come back to the same point that somebody needs to fund the shortfall until the season end or sale of club - whichever being the sooner.

As for the transfer embargo I doubt that that would have prevent sales out of the club - particularly if money was needed to remain solvent.  This suggests to me that 'circumstances' are not in control of Anderson but quite the reverse, Anderson is in control of circumstances still.

Anderson states today that the historical debt to HMRC will be settled before the end of the month and this may well be the obstacle (or one of them) becoming completely free of the 'restraints' we apparently are in.

Also this so called £5 million profit that Anderson supposedly wants is also I believe something of a red herring that is misleading certain people.

The sum was derived by some based on his taster advertising the club for £25 million free of debt.  Nobody knew how accurate that assessment was though - particularly as some who came up for that figure also came up with the sum of around £30 million needed just to keep the club running until the end of this season - the two calculations not being compatible with each other.

I'm sure he wants as big as profit as he can get but sometimes you need to change your plans to suit your circumstances.  Maybe by waiting and putting in money now he thinks he can get a better profit later?

• Moderators

the figure zico mentions is nothing to do with the sales brochure

nor anything hes read on any public forum

you can believe it or not but as i know the source i think its probably not a million miles off the truth

and if he gets it, good luck to him

the figure zico mentions is nothing to do with the sales brochure

nor anything hes read on any public forum

you can believe it or not but as i know the source i think its probably not a million miles off the truth

and if he gets it, good luck to him

Maybe so but I still hazard a guess that circumstances have moved on enough from then to now to make the figure simply moot.

I certainly don't think that figure should be the anchor point of someone's reasoning and everything else made to fit into it to force such an outcome.

I don't know Anderson from Adam but it's clear to me that he's a business man first and foremost and not an asset stripper or someone not to be trusted as per the anti-Anderson camp stance - which many still appear to hold.  I certainly don't believe he will be doing anything other than maximising the potential in his asset - the club - for a sale as soon as he practically can.  Thus to sell the club short by not funding it resulting in the sale of key players, probable relegation, or not having enough to pay HMRC or the players wages - whilst having the monies to do so himself - seems detrimental to his own position to me - doesn't it you?

Anderson would want a club desired by buyers to maximise his profit, rather than one in the state he inherited and requiring a major financial overall.

That's got to be better for him - and similarly better for the club (and us its supporters, too).

I wouldn't begrudge him making a profit of £5 million or much, much more if he is able to as that would mean he's got Bolton to a safe and desirable place.  In order to do that may require him to put money into the club to achieve that (the short fall in funding this season for instance) but that is not to say he won't reap greater profits for himself when he does come to sell.

So if he does have the personal funds in order to do that, then why wouldn't he, rather than not doing and diluting his ownership (by finding an external investor), or reducing the value of his assets (by selling off something like the hotel), or even letting us lapse into Administration?

All to save himself putting in money he already has in his pocket?

It just doesn't make any sense not doing so - does it?

That's how I reason things anyway.