Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The opening it up to the membership vote is a game changer for Boris if he decides to run. If he can muster up the support of 100 MPs and take it to a vote of the members I think he probably wins.

Yep

get the bananas out 😁

10 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The opening it up to the membership vote is a game changer for Boris if he decides to run. If he can muster up the support of 100 MPs and take it to a vote of the members I think he probably wins.

General election before the end of the year if he did.

Too many Tory MPs would resign the whip, and vote in no confidence.

Boris's problem is not 100 backing him. Its if 36 or more would vote no confidence.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not to mention that most MP's are egotistical so her name will probably last for a long period of history as the shortest lasting PM of the UK. When the dust settles, I suspect she may take solace from knowing that she will be mentioned in political discussions and likely pub quiz questions for a very, very long time. Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Now then, more seriously. We (as in the blue 'we') need a cleanskin leader to steady the ship, restore a modicum of respectability and right a few (perceived) wrongs before January 2025. Boris (sadly) too many skeletons in the cupboard - a (possibly undeserved) stained option; Sunak the backstabber - I would be shocked; Braverman seems to lack statesmanlike qualities with her profane outbursts.

For me it would have to be Mordaunt or Wallace. Hoping for Penny as I have my 'new Maggie' speech already drafted.

I was unaware until today was that the 45% tax rate for high earners being lowered to 40% would have been in line with what Labour darling Tony Bliar had in place for the entirety of his tenure. Starmer could have claimed that she was copying Labour policies! A good policy which would have keep wealth creators where we want them. In the UK.

The issue with this policy was Truss was going to borrow money to fund it. Folk on 1 million getting a 50k sweetener funded by government borrowing all during a financial crisis for normal folk. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

3 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Today programme saying he’s likely to get 140 .

Johnson is probably the only Tory who could drag them back from the election abyss and given that the Tory party for all there UK comes first bluster really are just looking after themselves at this time, it’s likely he’ll get the gig. Fuck knows how this ends up.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not really that difficult to answer. Loved by millions for his English eccentricity and his battling qualities when it matters (whether he truly believes in something or sees it has a conduit for political success).

It won't be him though. A shame they got rid in the first place.

We don't all swallow the guff fed to us by the UK left leaning mainstream media.

He is a burning skipfire of a human being who only thinks of himself. The best selling print media in the UK are all right wing. The most followed political commentators in Laura K and Andrew Neil are considered to have tory bias and both are/were working for the BBC. So called left leaning UK mainstream media is a myth.

5 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

He is a burning skipfire of a human being who only thinks of himself. The best selling print media in the UK are all right wing. The most followed political commentators in Laura K and Andrew Neil are considered to have tory bias and both are/were working for the BBC. So called left leaning UK mainstream media is a myth.

This is what happens what someone isn’t prepared to challenge themselves and listen to views that may not align with their own 

The observing self is very weak in the antipodean bullshitter. 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Is this vote going to party members again or Tory mps? Either way I can’t see past Johnson winning it.

If only one candidate gets the support of 100 MPs or more then, no. But if there are two or more candidates with the support of 100 MPs or more then, yes.

Boris has no possibility of winning a straight up vote of Tory MPs but if he can force it through to a vote of the membership I think he would be in a strong position.

55 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Today programme saying he’s likely to get 140 .

There are apparently 357 Conservative MPs. Even if the Today programme is overestimating, imagine (by way of example):

Boris - 120

Rishi - 90

Mourdant - 90

Wallace - 30

Other - 27

No need for a membership vote. Boris wins by default.