Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Because at the time he was the PM in public office and conducting government  business and therefore qualifies for legal aid. 

Like every senior cabinet minister before him Conservative or Labour. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Because at the time he was the PM in public office and conducting government  business and therefore qualifies for legal aid. 

Jimmy Savile was a highly paid BBC employee at the time he was abusing kids.

Did the BBC fund his defence when it all came out in the wash? Did they f***.

Blojo is an MP not a PM so why is he getting PM privileges?

WTF has past jobs got to do with it? 

6 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Not remotely similar… in fact stupid post. 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

No, because he was dead 

Technically, in the eyes of the law, Jimmy Saville is innocent

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Having piss ups isn't conducting government business.

And he's not facing a trial.

Unfortunately, the massive sack of shit.

30 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

It is a stupid rule and it takes the piss that someone who can buy a £4mil house in cash gets his legal fees paid. As I understand it, Raab got some lawyers for his bullying investigation and paid those out of his own pocket.

It’s been a stupid rule for many years. Still a rule though, until the ruling party of the day changes it. 
And turkeys don’t normally vote for Christmas. 

12 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

No it's not. What are their issues to cause this? Too much dependence on Russian gas won't have helped I assume?

Seems to be that consumer spending is down, caused by having to spend more on energy. Just hope that we are aren’t dragged down.

2 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

The folly of trying to solve one-off inflation issues by increasing interest rates?

If it doesn't work, and I understand your thoughts on it........then why do the BoE keep raising them (and will do another 2 increases before the year is out?  - I'm not having a go, I just wonder why you think they're doing it, and if they don't what should they do?  - just ride it out?

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Net migration at an all time high.

Hows that controlling our own border thing getting on?

More to the point, WHY do people think we need less immigrants? It's a simple fact that immigrants pay more in than they take out.

13 hours ago, Cheese said:

More to the point, WHY do people think we need less immigrants? It's a simple fact that immigrants pay more in than they take out.

I don't think we need less, we clearly need more, a lot more. Sadly, I'm not sure that the current infrastructure in certain parts of the country is up to it, as things stand. 

Edited by Sweep

Just finished watching the Troubles in NI on I-Player. Tough watch but very balanced. 

The mental strength of Thatcher to carry on with the conference as though nothing had happened after the Brighton Bombing was staggering.

What a leader. 

They don’t make them like her anymore.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

The latest statistics are great news then. Aren’t they? Why are the government getting so much criticism?

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

If it doesn't work, and I understand your thoughts on it........then why do the BoE keep raising them (and will do another 2 increases before the year is out?  - I'm not having a go, I just wonder why you think they're doing it, and if they don't what should they do?  - just ride it out?

I think that they are raising it for a reason other than they are stating. 

I think that they have worked out that they should have had higher rates for much of the previous 14 or so years, so are using the cover of the expected, standard, knee-jerk response to inflation, of raising interest rates. We’ll see later whether that view has any resonance, if they are slow to reduce interest rates if inflation falls. My guess is that they will reduce rates, but not in line with the fall in inflation. 

Just now, globaldiver said:

I think that they are raising it for a reason other than they are stating. 

I think that they have worked out that they should have had higher rates for much of the previous 14 or so years, so are using the cover of the expected, standard, knee-jerk response to inflation, of raising interest rates. We’ll see later whether that view has any resonance, if they are slow to reduce interest rates if inflation falls. My guess is that they will reduce rates, but not in line with the fall in inflation. 

Fair enough, I certainly think that the rates have been too low for too long.....not that I really know much about it. I was only saying to my mate the other day, I suspect the days of people having mortgage interest rates of below 2% are gone now, for a very long time