Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics


miamiwhite

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I wonder if an honours proposal has to have supporting evidence- surely it can't just be because a mate or a relative wants to?

Anyway, Stanley is a huge environmentalist and maybe it's for that, I've no idea.

Or maybe it's because of his pro-eu beliefs..

Hahahahahaha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

But why do we put up with shite just because it is eccentric? Is it our sense of humour maybe? Boris was funny when he was rugby tackling footballers or dangling off a crane but he should never have got to the top gig. That has been shown to be the case countless times.

Its pretty robust as a system; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-honours-system-works#:~:text=The honours system covers the,operation of the honours system.

Its just, again, its one of those things that we don't know very much about as a genreal public (and again, why I'd like to see UK political Systems as something that is at least an hour a week in the circulum - it suits those in power that the majority know less then them about how the systems work) 

It's like when people were saying it should be Sir Nat Lofthouse - you can only 'upgrade' and honour if they have gone onto achieve more in the field they were orginally recongised for, or you get recognised for further charitable work.

Plus - he might have nominated his dad, but anyone in this country can nominate anyone they want to. Nominate away!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its pretty robust as a system; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-honours-system-works#:~:text=The honours system covers the,operation of the honours system.

Its just, again, its one of those things that we don't know very much about as a genreal public (and again, why I'd like to see UK political Systems as something that is at least an hour a week in the circulum - it suits those in power that the majority know less then them about how the systems work) 

It's like when people were saying it should be Sir Nat Lofthouse - you can only 'upgrade' and honour if they have gone onto achieve more in the field they were orginally recongised for, or you get recognised for further charitable work.

Plus - he might have nominated his dad, but anyone in this country can nominate anyone they want to. Nominate away!

"Sir Not In Crawley" does have a certain ring to it 🙂

 

I've always thought the honours system to be a bit odd, especially as there seem to be hundreds and hundreds of them  given out every year, folk just doing their jobs....this generally aimed at celebrities, like Ant & Dec who I think have OBE's  -  whilst they're very good at what they do, and I do like them, I do find it strange that they get an honour from the monarch

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

He no longer has pro-EU beliefs apparently although he's conveniently got himself French citizenship.

Not that you can take a word of what he says as gospel, just like his son. He does like twatting women though according to Boris' mum.

 

He certainly does have pro eu beliefs.

Not too long back in the paper talking about his view on environmental laws and how he was instrumental in introducing them into the eu and his concerns that the uk could, once out, change standards.

Dunno about wife beating- an interview she gave with Tom Bower doesn't fill me with confidence. His commentary on folk is frequently acerbic at best and downright nasty at times. 

Likes the sound of his own voice, which makes her claims difficult to assess.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its pretty robust as a system; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-honours-system-works#:~:text=The honours system covers the,operation of the honours system.

Its just, again, its one of those things that we don't know very much about as a genreal public (and again, why I'd like to see UK political Systems as something that is at least an hour a week in the circulum - it suits those in power that the majority know less then them about how the systems work) 

It's like when people were saying it should be Sir Nat Lofthouse - you can only 'upgrade' and honour if they have gone onto achieve more in the field they were orginally recongised for, or you get recognised for further charitable work.

Plus - he might have nominated his dad, but anyone in this country can nominate anyone they want to. Nominate away!

I was more responding about Johnson's eccentricity tbh but I take your point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

"Sir Not In Crawley" does have a certain ring to it 🙂

 

I've always thought the honours system to be a bit odd, especially as there seem to be hundreds and hundreds of them  given out every year, folk just doing their jobs....this generally aimed at celebrities, like Ant & Dec who I think have OBE's  -  whilst they're very good at what they do, and I do like them, I do find it strange that they get an honour from the monarch

 

I'm too mean spirited to get anything for charity, and I'm certainly not getting owt for services to the entertainment industry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sweep said:

I don't personally know any of them, but it's easy to find out..... 

25,351 people in the "Uxbridge and South Ruislip" constituency

Is there any particular reason that you want to know who these people are? 

I work there. Let me ask about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, tomski said:

I work there. Let me ask about

Be sure not to ask any of the wider population though.

Apparently not A SINGLE PERSON had an image of Boris licking ice cream off their helmet when putting a cross next to the conservative candidate.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Spider said:

Be sure not to ask any of the wider population though.

Apparently not A SINGLE PERSON had an image of Boris licking ice cream off their helmet when putting a cross next to the conservative candidate.

 

Haha. It’s a strange place where lots of people seem to navigate too but fuck knows why and what they do there before they leave again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

Winston Churchill was central to the formation of the ECHR

But, fuck him.

Even offered a closer alliance to France.

He understood that Britain's power was based on trade and projection, that's how a small island became a world superpower.

I mean, bloody hell, even Thomas Cromwell knew that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

For the record, it's not a bad plan

But they know it will never work

So at best, they're just setting up a future campaign of "well we tried, but were blocked by the do gooders"

Clever, really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
49 minutes ago, Spider said:

Winston Churchill was central to the formation of the ECHR

But, fuck him.

No, not fuck him. Applaud him for what he did over half a century ago for something which was good at the time. Like many things, past its use by date. You can't have a foreign entity dictating what happens in a sovereign nation. Fair enough if you want to be part of some federalised bungling mega bureaucracy but we don't/aren't.

Out of it a.s.a.p. is the wise move. Vexatious actions by foreign lawyers cannot be tolerated. Fuck it off, immediately solve the illegal boats issue (and unnecessary deaths in the English Channel) and then go full bore on the Rwanda solution.

Sure fire vote winner but, as we all know, Sunak won't have the minerals to do this. All pie in the sky hoping to con his 'red wall' voters into voting blue again. Won't work without the substance. Probably only Suella and Priti would have the balls to see this through based on what we have seen over the last few months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What power have the government taken back other than the change of passport colour?

One of the key reasons I voted remain was the fact out government are a bit rubbish(I only think the snide aspect came from Boris on)

They’ve done nothing since to tell me my original opinion was wrong. 

Even the stuff I don’t agree with like the dinghy policies they can’t do. 

They are only good at increasing tax for things such as sugar and deposit return schemes and even in the latter they’ve fucked that up.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, tomski said:

What power have the government taken back other than the change of passport colour?

One of the key reasons I voted remain was the fact out government are a bit rubbish(I only think the snide aspect came from Boris on)

They’ve done nothing since to tell me my original opinion was wrong. 

Even the stuff I don’t agree with like the dinghy policies they can’t do. 

They are only good at increasing tax for things such as sugar and deposit return schemes and even in the latter they’ve fucked that up.
 

 

The fact is we have loads of Asylum seekers sat in hotels round the country because the Govt are not processing the applications. This not a political view it is fact. 
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/article/explainer/asylum-backlog

The Govt as usual are chasing the headlines rather than tackling the problem. If we start processing the applicants properly and sending away those who do not qualify then people will be less likely to come. The ones we do accept can start to work constructively and earn that Pension 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Exactly

Why not process the claims faster? Costly initially but surely a money saver in the long term?

As for "France should do more" - why?

If Ireland was their destination, we'd be kicking them off the docks in Liverpool.

France aren't obliged to stop them coming here. Not anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Ani said:

The fact is we have loads of Asylum seekers sat in hotels round the country because the Govt are not processing the applications. This not a political view it is fact. 
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/article/explainer/asylum-backlog

The Govt as usual are chasing the headlines rather than tackling the problem. If we start processing the applicants properly and sending away those who do not qualify then people will be less likely to come. The ones we do accept can start to work constructively and earn that Pension 

And because of the government throwing silly money at problems hoping they go away, we now have once respectable hotels wanting in on the cash cow by offering their rooms to house asylum seekers. Old news but still relevant 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/22954579.mercure-bolton-georgian-house-earmarked-asylum-seekers/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.