Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Daft Away Games.

leigh white

Brum away after the boro final. About 500 of us all sat in silence. Can't remember the score.

Spurs away on a Monday night when it was on telly sticks out too. Fuck me I can barely make a home game nowadays :D

Birmingham away in league after we had beat em in FA Cup quarter final.

Absolutely dreadful.

Still convinced we threw that game for whatever reason.

They were in bottom 3.

Kevin Philips first League start of the season and he scored after 4 minutes.

We started a mindfield 3 of petrov muamba and Cohen in behind elmander skd and Sturridge.

The 6-0 at Bristol City after Lennon had been sacked to all but confirm relegation. Weird in that when the goals kept going in, it didn’t affect me in the slightest.

There was so little passion on the pitch, and it was such a spineless performance, that I didn’t have it in me to show some passion in the stands. I’ve never felt so unattached to the club as I did that day. We were in a proper state on and off the pitch, and I honestly couldn’t see how things could get better.

Amazing how far we’ve come in two years since, and great to have a set of players fighting so much for the cause again.

• Moderators

the only league away I've done which I might consider as daft would be Sunderland midweek because it's a trek, and we lost, but hardly one where I look back and wonder why I bothered

done friendlies at Hull and Sheff Weds away, and whilst purely for the piss ups, there was still little point in going to the actual games

and Port Vale on Boxing Day in got to ground, hadn't even got out the car and found out it was cancelled, so drove home - i.e. 2-3 hours on the M6 on Boxing Day for no reason

• Site Supporter

Another one which springs to mind - Norwich in the league cup on a Tuesday night around 1993 time. Hardly a soul there from Bolton, ran out pies and the beer was crap in the pub beforehand. Not sure if there was a replay/2nd leg but I vaguely remember it being 0-0

EDIT

Just checked - it was November 1995. Drew the return game 0-0 too but lost 3-2 on pens

Edited by Biggish Dave

Another one which springs to mind - Norwich in the league cup on a Tuesday night around 1993 time. Hardly a soul there from Bolton, ran out pies and the beer was crap in the pub beforehand. Not sure if there was a replay/2nd leg but I vaguely remember it being 0-0

EDIT

Just checked - it was November 1995. Drew the return game 0-0 too but lost 3-2 on pens

Two legged League Cup games, fucking hell what a hard sell to get people to go to the likes of Norwich and Ipswich especially early rounds

• Site Supporter

EDIT

Possibly the coldest night ever on Burnden.

EDIT

Coldest night ever at burnden. Curcic passed a pentaly to thier keeper.

EDIT

Not been to Norwich since

• Moderators

Never been as cold in my life.

by mid way in the 2nd half of the norwich game was rooting for them as much as us to score so we didn't have to hang around for ET and pens

only to then go out thanks to a Defraitas pea roller that was so slow Bryan Gunn could pretty much kneel down and pick it up