Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sponsered walk for staff

Matty Lawrenson

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Call me a hard faced bastard but there’s certainly a hint of attention seeking, grief junkie hysteria bollocks taking place with all this.

Yep, it’s similar symptoms to Scouse Fever 🥵 

I'm all for the raising of funds when they were not being paid. 

Administrators have now said they will be paid weekly.

If any staff are genuinely still on the breadline then crack on but I think there really needs to be a check with some of the staff as to whether 

A) they still need the financial support

B) they want the attention that comes with it 

• Moderators

If they haven't been paid since November I reckon some will have racked up a few quid on a credit card they're now going to have to pay off

As for getting another job, maybe they should've all fucked off months ago when we had games to put on

Fair play to them for sticking it out, if folk want to help them out now, crack on

5 hours ago, Matty Lawrenson said:

Hi everyone I’m new on here. Just wondering is anyone attending the walk on Saturday for the staff? 

But no

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Call me a hard faced bastard but there’s certainly a hint of attention seeking, grief junkie hysteria bollocks taking place with all this.

Correct on the face of it.

Realpolitik dictates that it draws attention to our clubs plight and gets it higher up the agenda.

Tasteful? No. Practical to our survival? Probably. 

I commend any serious effort to relieve some of the hardship the staff must be facing. Yes, they're all getting paid today, but having had no wages for several weeks will have left them with unpaid bills, overdrafts etc.

My issue with a walk or any other "organised activity" is that I don't see the point.

Is it to "raise awareness"? If not, I don't think the general public could be made any more aware of our situation, in fact it just creates another opportunity for protest.

Another thing is that it's the middle of the bank Holiday weekend and by asking people to meet up at 1.45pm on a Saturday to walk to the stadium arriving around 4pm would mean that for many of us the whole day has effectively gone. 

What arrangements are there to get people back to Burnden park afterwards?

Personally, I prefer to make a cash donation and let it go that way.

54 minutes ago, Ani said:

I thought of it as a show of solidarity with staff and anything that starts to get us back together as a club rather than the non stop infighting is a good idea. 

I fully get that, but it's only a show of solidarity really if the staff are doing the walk too.

Like I said, I'm happy to chip in, but wouldn't give up my day for it.

10 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

If they haven't been paid since November I reckon some will have racked up a few quid on a credit card they're now going to have to pay off

As for getting another job, maybe they should've all fucked off months ago when we had games to put on

Fair play to them for sticking it out, if folk want to help them out now, crack on

But no

My thoughts summed up