Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

30 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I'd reckon the method of getting more vitamin D (Outside exercising or fresh air) is just as important 

Walking saves me from meltdowns. If for some reason I can’t get out in the air at least an hour a day I’m asking for trouble and can feel it building up inside me. 

if I’m feeling really bad I tend to spend 2/3 hours walking just to switch my mind off from itself. Best therapy there is 

15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2008.02008.

Worth a look if you can be arsed trawling through a clinical study. It’s a very specific patient group. Skip to the discussion at the end

Looks like there “might” be a link but needs more research. It’s quite a well-put-together study but has limitations

https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-244X-12-38

This may interest you. 

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Walking saves me from meltdowns. If for some reason I can’t get out in the air at least an hour a day I’m asking for trouble and can feel it building up inside me. 

if I’m feeling really bad I tend to spend 2/3 hours walking just to switch my mind off from itself. Best therapy there is 

I think that you’ve got a good coping strategy. Have you any others that you do for when walking isn’t an option, which some others reading this thread may find beneficial? 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Morizio said:

I think that you’ve got a good coping strategy. Have you any others that you do for when walking isn’t an option, which some others reading this thread may find beneficial? 

switch the phone off and grab a jigsaw, or do some cleaning..

cleaning is massively therapeutic for me. 

9 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

switch the phone off and grab a jigsaw, or do some cleaning..

cleaning is massively therapeutic for me. 

Thank you🙏

Maybe it would be helpful to have a separate topic with coping strategies listed.  What do you think?

I think from the activities you’ve mentioned, they will generate happy brain chemicals. Namely endorphins, dopamine and serotonin. 

Now then what about oxytocin🤔

34 minutes ago, Morizio said:

Reading a book strangely. Tv off phone onto airplane mode and grab my kindle. I find reading takes my brain to a different place and just gives me a break from The sometimes constant merry go round in there with all the crap In it. 

or

cooking  

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Walking always helps me, stick some music on and take the pooch for a decent walk out. Always feel miles better afterwards.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

And women! 

Sexist 🙄

I only know these things from a blokes perspective and replying to a bloke, not sure how that is sexist. 

That's part of the problem though, how PEOPLE are made out to be perverts, or childish for wanting/needing to be intimate with partners. As someone above put masturbation, but again that's demonised to make people feel like perverts and often the partner who doesn't feel intimate would see it as disgusting/cheating. 

Only so many times you can take a cold shower.

• Members
9 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I only know these things from a blokes perspective and replying to a bloke, not sure how that is sexist. 

That's part of the problem though, how PEOPLE are made out to be perverts, or childish for wanting/needing to be intimate with partners. As someone above put masturbation, but again that's demonised to make people feel like perverts and often the partner who doesn't feel intimate would see it as disgusting/cheating. 

Only so many times you can take a cold shower.

Having a wank is cheating? 🤔

2 hours ago, Morizio said:

Yes. Like other studies it tends to suggest that Vitamin D isn’t just a “vitamin”

I take it every day after @Tonge moor green jacket recommended it for my osteoarthritis. Also have turmeric and fish oil every day. No harm and all that

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

This

• Members
2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Amazing how much better you feel after some fresh air. I hate being stuck inside all day. 

11 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Get in the sea.

Seriously - don't you live in Haverfordwest? The coast is just down the road, get a wetsuit and go swimming, piss about with a bodyboard or get surfing lessons.

Marloes, Whitesands, Broadhaven are good. Plenty more too, Abereidi is nice for swimming and mooching about for fossils (pre-cambrian life forms not grannies).

I occasionally go sea fishing off Angle. My mates got a shitty little boat that terrifies me. 

I'll Go to the beach most days to walk the dog. Less so in summer when the tourists are about... usually choose a less know one. Manorbier today was deserted which I love.

I'll take me kid body boarding in the summer months, usually Tenby South... Whitesands when camping or Newgale.

Had mooch on Broadhaven yesterday morning with the Mrs. First time I've been for a few years. Nice breakfast in a seafront cafe then walked across to Little Haven.

How come you know this area Youri.... past holidays?

Exercise is key for me. Need to swim at least 4 times a week. Feel great after it and sleep really well cos I’m fucked. Bike rides and lone walks with a podcast in my ear. Take me to a different place and clear my head completely.

My biggest other distraction is Lego and jigsaws. Can shut myself away for hours and ignore the shit that Mrs Manc’s family bring round here on a daily basis. Eldest bought me this

BEC42547-96CC-40B6-873D-95DAF4DF3954.thumb.jpeg.9bafc9bba6178f2730d87c14801910c9.jpeg

And the grandson has all his Lego made for him 😀

30CD8C03-DC30-4E57-A430-B4C63B255FEE.thumb.jpeg.d70f7cbb125c5cdeff226cf515a94b5d.jpeg

13 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Exercise is key for me. Need to swim at least 4 times a week. Feel great after it and sleep really well cos I’m fucked. Bike rides and lone walks with a podcast in my ear. Take me to a different place and clear my head completely.

My biggest other distraction is Lego and jigsaws. Can shut myself away for hours and ignore the shit that Mrs Manc’s family bring round here on a daily basis. Eldest bought me this

BEC42547-96CC-40B6-873D-95DAF4DF3954.thumb.jpeg.9bafc9bba6178f2730d87c14801910c9.jpeg

And the grandson has all his Lego made for him 😀

30CD8C03-DC30-4E57-A430-B4C63B255FEE.thumb.jpeg.d70f7cbb125c5cdeff226cf515a94b5d.jpeg

I bought a few jigsaws last winter. Set them up on the dining table and would dip in and out completing bits at a time. Surprised me how much I enjoyed doing it.

This is the first year I've not bought my kid any lego. Shame because I miss building it with her. Last one was the Friends coffee shop. Nearly bought her the Home Alone house this Christmas but cost a bit too much for a kid that has grown out of it didn't really want it.