Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trams coming to town

• Members
15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Aye. Rarely a problem with it. Amazingly when it’s busy they put double trams on and when it’s quiet single trams. Who’d have thought eh?

How do you know you’re on public transport if your face isn’t pushed against a window

Edited by Rudy’s Message

I can't see it happening it's all election promise bollocks that they'll forget about in 2 months. I had a mate who worked for metrolink few years ago though. He showed me plans for a bolton to manc route that bizarrely went to prestwich and then came through drinkwater park towards kearsly and down Manchester road. It was in a meteolink document that was all official I had no reason to disbelieve him and hes emigrated now so I wont mind me putting out there, seemed a bloody strange route though

Election bullshit.  If the Govt devolve transport powers to Greater Manchester it's only getting built if GMCA think it worth it, to date they haven't.  Any line would also have to show economic benefit along the whole route and a high BCR rate to get Treasury approval for funding.

A route meandering through Salford, down through Kearsely into Farnworth and then Manny Road to Bolton might tick a few boxes, but it would take forever to get in to Manc.  Non-stop  to East Lancs and along the bus lane would be the quickest but that ain't happening either.

Edited by TrickyTrotter

Just now, leigh white said:

Oldham lost the heavy rail link, takes longer on the metro now to Manc.

And if they want to go in any other direction, they now have to travel in to Manc first whereas they might have had other options previously. Failing to see the benefit on both counts there. 

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And if they want to go in any other direction, they now have to travel in to Manc first whereas they might have had other options previously. Failing to see the benefit on both counts there. 

Like jumping on an Airport tram at Victoria, It's only 22 stops away.:)

6 hours ago, Traf said:

Manchester Victoria to Rochdale Train Station takes 12 minutes by train and 42 minutes by tram.

It's not a direct replacement, it's more like a glorified bus service.

Was reading that the rochdale part of the network has reduced speed in certain parts ( something agreed when building it)

At least they turn up on time, bus timetable this way is shocking nothing like the scheduled times 

3 hours ago, boltondiver said:

I don't think I'd trust TfGM with the money

Remember when Cameron promised money for investment in the services through Bolton to Manchester? Northern rail decided to instead put extra carriages on their Leeds services...now - I don't know - but I have a suspicion as to why!

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Remember when Cameron promised money for investment in the services through Bolton to Manchester? Northern rail decided to instead put extra carriages on their Leeds services...now - I don't know - but I have a suspicion as to why!

But you aren't going to share your suspicion? Are you Custard Diet in disguise?

• Site Supporter

On trams in general, not Bolton bound, me and Mrs. Fogarty had a day in Blackpool recently with friends and I took the opportunity to have a go on one of theirs from Gynn Square up to Cleveleys and back I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice and clean, not overcrowded and only one pissed up punter to be seen. And that was me.

On 04/12/2019 at 13:14, Mounts Kipper said:

More likely guided bus lanes like they have done in Tyldesley.    Surely trams to Manchester would be a waste of time, however a line from Bolton to the Trafford Centre via Eccles and on to Manchester might be a better route.    

All built up now,. Mounts - non starter.... Too many new estates.... Fucking sad really.... The Bolton - Manc trainline is a pisstake still, electrify the line then still use the wank old dieses with standing room only - Northern Powerhouse my fucking saltified arse.

• Members
6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

You want to get yourselves something link the new Thameslink trains here out in the sticks of zone 4.

Best commute I’ve had in years.

Thameslink trains are great 

What they need to do is at west hampstead is to tell people in advance of the train arriving that they've switched platforms 

Not whilst its actually on the platform 

On 05/12/2019 at 00:42, Traf said:

Manchester Victoria to Rochdale Train Station takes 12 minutes by train and 42 minutes by tram.

It's not a direct replacement, it's more like a glorified bus service.

True. However the trams run every 12 minutes I think and maybe every 6 minutes at peak (I may be wrong as I get on and off at Hollinwood). They aren’t perfect but when I go to The UniBolt then the tram bits are the more pleasant parts of the journey