Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

49 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

465 dead now, moving slower than peely predicted, but only 3 days behind his predictions from last week ( which were based on Italy death rates and exponential rise)  One would hope that this means when this peaks it’s a much lower number than it might have been. 

If today is also low, or lower still than yesterday then this will be great - conversely if we see a big jump up today, take it with a pinch of salt because it could have some of yesterdays figures in too, depends on what time period they're measuring from when they give us the stats. ill have a look and see if i can interpret them when they come out.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, L/H White said:

approx 50 car queue at mcdonalds walkden the day they closed

people are fucking weird

Down to Moss Bank Way roundabout at the Johnson Fold McD's. They were heading for a record daily take before the computerised order system decided to f*ck up.

8 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

If today is also low, or lower still than yesterday then this will be great - conversely if we see a big jump up today, take it with a pinch of salt because it could have some of yesterdays figures in too, depends on what time period they're measuring from when they give us the stats. ill have a look and see if i can interpret them when they come out.

This guy is the Whitehall editor of the Times

He goes on to say

We may not get any death figures today, as they are looking at moving to publishing first thing in the morning. Aim is to give more time to collate NHS data and inform families before ages and locations made public 2/2

28 minutes ago, Sweep said:

A nice can of Andi Peters never did anybody any harm

Anyway, a few folk have posted about booze - do many of the good folk of WWays drink every night?  -  Rarely do we drink during the week, even in these strange times. Mrs Sweep has decided she's going to not drink for the duration of this

Usually just football and few on a Friday 

however last couple of weeks it’s been every other day on the old peters

• Members
17 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

This guy is the Whitehall editor of the Times

He goes on to say

We may not get any death figures today, as they are looking at moving to publishing first thing in the morning. Aim is to give more time to collate NHS data and inform families before ages and locations made public 2/2

So the grand total in theory tomorrow morning should be quite large 

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Just been past Tesco as i was walking the dog, fucking queuing, what is up with the daft cnuts?

Perhaps they’re key workers who’ve been struggling to get supplies. And don’t forget families are at home all day so chomping through plenty of food. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Just been past Tesco as i was walking the dog, fucking queuing, what is up with the daft cnuts?

They’ve no choice. They aren’t letting folk just walk in anymore mate. Controlled entry now for the big supermarkets and defo tesco 

Not necessarily queuing, as they are not letting too many in the store at once; one in one out type of thingy 

• Members

I’ve just ordered a Chinese.

Chinese fella pulls up, and comes toward the door, I walked over to meet him he just started shouting “Isolate Isolate” 

I said calm down mate you’re not that late I only ordered it 20 minutes ago.

• Site Supporter

Words from the room-mate of that musician mate of mine who was on the Diamond Princess off the coast of Japan in the early days of Corona.

He's been used as a Ship's Quarantine Officer and has also been quarantined once the paying guests had left.

My personal views do not necessarily reflect company views (Hi legal--I love my job...)

A few people shared some somewhat alarming "inside scoop from medical frontlines" video clips with me, yesterday. Not going to share these, I don’t think we need to be more alarmed, but wanted to try to breifly respond on any "alarming videos, memes" etc. you might encounter from the perspective of my own kinda "front line" experience as a crewmember working the quarantine on the Diamond Princess. Because some of it reminded me of what I saw, too, and had already begun to forget...
I'm obviously no authority on epidemiology or “what we should do,” but I do want to share my personal thoughts on how to "frame" fighting COVID-19 that might help from further emphasis or clarity.
I joined the Diamond Princess on Jan 20, just in time for the cruise and subsequent quarantine during which Diamond became the world's second most infected "country" for most of February with about 700 cases, ultimately.

During the passenger quarantine, I helped deliver medications, worked phones, and monitored hallways. I was also in a position to observe some sanitizing measures and crewmember compliance, etc. Most chillingly, I also was semi-isolated with a roommate who tested positive for several days (we didn't know his test results until the last several hours, at which point I was fully isolated with him until they found him an isolation bed in a Japanese hospital).
Here's what I want to emphasize, that I feel isn't well-enough understood or appreciated:
  • Surface transmission. This this this.
  • Asymptomatic transmission. This this this.
  • Long incubation time. This this this.
Housekeepers and food services crew on ships are all trained in damping pathogen transmission due to noro-type virus issues and these meaures are always in effect, but they have different levels they escalate to, starting once there is a single case of noro onboard. They already sanitize common contact points and change out buffet tongs regularly, etc. and train crew on the importance of taking these things seriously--it’s our livelihood, so we need to keep ships safe to keep working. The company is also on everyone (pax and crew), all the time, about hand washing. They also have "hit sqads" that rush to clean bathrooms and any areas that someone with norovirus may have contaminated. They have a lot in place, already.
From day one of the quarantine on Diamond, I saw measures like I've never seen to sanitize not just common touchpoints, but everything--people in masks and later hazmat suits viroxing every railing, wall, surface--even the air. All of these measures escalated, as well. By day five, it was kinda like the last act of E.T. where they drape plastic over the whole house.
Not all people will follow all instructions to the same degree and we weren't all perfect, all the time, but my point is that we, the crew, weren't exactly careless neophytes, either. There were lots of little loopholes, but there was also tons of attention to detail.
But despite tons of care, because of surface transmission and long incubation time, I wonder if it may have spread, mostly, from tongs in the buffet and/or "passenger zero" coughing on a bus, or whatever, in the days before anyone knew he had it (we didn't know until after he disembarked).
Re asymptomatic transmission: My roommate tested positive--he’s now clear and fine, yay--but he had virtually no symptoms and felt "97% fine." I saw this a lot. I also saw certain young crewmembers with no duties take aggressive isolation and self-protection measures still get it--some got it bad.
I sanitized the room a lot and made my coughing, "unknown status" roommate wear his mask in the cabin (normally we just wore masks and gloves when leaving the cabin) and close his bunk drapes, etc. which is maybe part of how I avoided getting it. I also tried to avoid dryness in my throat and sinuses to keep whatever natural barriers to infection I have there strong.
So I only have questions, no real answers, and nothing new, here, but based on my experiences and the questions I still have, here are some more “framing” thoughts I think could use a bit more emphasis:
  • Don't be the loophole! This thing is sneaky and insidious. In spite of "mostly conscientious, somewhat knowledgeable crew,” plus serious sanitization measures, we still ended up with soo many cases. If you leave your home, devise systems and rules for yourself to sanitize your hands before you touch your face, and before you touch car door handles and home door handles, every time.
  • Don't assume that, just because you feel 100% healthy, that a) you haven't been exposed and b) you are not, in fact, positive, and passing it to older loved ones / everyone. Health authorities have done a great job at emphasizing what to do, but I wonder if we could benefit from more "why.” The why, for me, is "rampant, completely asymptomatic transmission." Or if people have very mild symptoms, they’re not always the symptoms we might associate with COVID-19. I really don’t think we get this, yet.
  • Don’t assume that you’ll realize if something you do tomorrow will affect you or your loved ones. You might not get any indication of transmission before 7-14 more days of your or your family feeling totally normal. Even if we had all done "perfect isolation," here, for the past week and continued to do it for another week, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is still an exponential jump in cases, just from spread that happened before we got serious, as probably happened on Diamond due to, I suspect, long incubation time, along with, again, surface transmission, and asymptomatic transmission. Whatever numbers are reported, assume that they are actually a large factor greater and the numbers will reflect that in a week, and then those new numbers will be short by a large factor... until, finally, if we’re amazing, they’re not.
    Expect jumps--big ones, but don't give up. Rather, just calmly, cleanly, prepare to double down for a few more weeks. I think “two pretty serious weeks” followed by “two super serious weeks,” followed by... “TBA” might be more realistic?
  • I kinda agree that testing is mostly pointless for the less vulnerable. Much simpler to just assume we all definitely have it, so don’t go out, and if you do, don’t spread it, especially to vulnerable loved ones. Simultaneously, don’t catch it from every other person and surface, which you should assume is definitely infected so, again: hands, face...
Positive last thought: Only 7% of the crew ended up testing positive and, I think they were all tested, in the end? The crew is generally more careful about constant handwashing and opening doors and touching railings, etc. I think, than most of the world. That and their relatively young, healthy immune systems might help explain the huge disparity between “isolated passenger contraction” and “working, mobile crew contraction” during the quarantine?

I somehow stayed negative, in spite of my positive roommate, and I was tested three times. I think I may have even had it in my sinuses, but it didn’t “take” in my lungs, where it needs to for anitbodies to show up? I have no idea, but I’m still shocked I didn’t get it.

I ultimately think that transmission was dramatically slowed by the basic measures put in place on Diamond by Japan and Princess, regardless of the final numbers. Those really could mostly have come from the “tongs-hands-face-family” route before we knew we had the virus onboard. We now have many similar measures recommended here that I think can be effective, but only if we strive for very high levels of personal compliance.
Tons of love and wishes for good health to everyone in this extraordinary time. Let me know if there’s anything about this that feels alarmist or irresponsible, or if you have questions, etc.

14 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Words from the room-mate of that musician mate of mine who was on the Diamond Princess off the coast of Japan in the early days of Corona.

He's been used as a Ship's Quarantine Officer and has also been quarantined once the paying guests had left.

Excellent insight. 👍

50 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Just been to Tesco and queued. The reason? They are only letting in a certain amunt of people and there is tape all across the floor to keep people distant from each other and you have to be called up to the till in one line.

That's what's up with us 'daft cnuts' Needed to get some basics like washing powder, milk, bread etc

5 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Interesting read because it fits your own rhetoric and political position or interesting because it’s full of statements like “the directors legally removes money from the company to their own personal accounts” this showing they’ve done nothing outside the law?

car phone warehouse didn’t go bust it was simply shut down. Nothing to see here and I don’t think stuff like this needs posting  if I’m honest mate. Life is tough enough without misleading articles like this poking the hornets nest of those that will lap stuff like this up 

if you want to post this I would say pop it on a different thread like the politics one as it’s loosely associating itself with corona virus to push a political agenda 

cheers 

Not quite bud- I also find stuff that doesn't fit my political position interesting to read. Plus my political position is never fixed. Many things that happen within our current economic system are legal, such as corporate tax avoidance, but that doesn't mean they are fair or beneficial.

I don't take everything word for word in this article- but it poses important questions about what we do now and how we move forward. I don't think anyone can deny that there is a real risk this could once again hit the poorest in society. And that our public services (who've been instrumental so far) could take a real hit. All I'm saying is that I hope we do things differently during the economic recovery this time round.

This virus is clearly linked to politics. How it effects us depends on the decisions our politicians take, how our economy functions and what has happened in the past 10 years. Important questions need to be asked furter down the line such as why we weren't already producing British ventilators or more of our own food. 

That being said- I take your point- It would be better posted on the politics thread. We need to get our current priorities in order and work together. These kind of questions are for further down the line. But with the time a lot of people now have on their hands you can see why folk are raising these questions. 

1 hour ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I’ve just ordered a Chinese.

Chinese fella pulls up, and comes toward the door, I walked over to meet him he just started shouting “Isolate Isolate” 

I said calm down mate you’re not that late I only ordered it 20 minutes ago.

Bravo sir 👏🏻👏🏻

nicked!