Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dario Gradi..

Traf

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Apologies if already posted. 

"I am suspended indefinitely from certain specified activities with players under the age of 18 years and whilst I do not agree with it I understand how the decision was arrived at."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12250976/former-crewe-manager-dario-gradi-claims-he-is-not-banned-from-football

I saw that. Bullshitting twat.

There's still a street near the ground named after him btw.

Just watched the documentary footballs darkest secret, powerful powerful stuff,  gut wrenching to watch and as a kids football coach, just cannot understand or comprehend how a coach could do that to kids you are supposed to be looking after. Barry Bennell & those involved hope you rot in hell & suffer every single day. 

7 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Just watched the documentary footballs darkest secret, powerful powerful stuff,  gut wrenching to watch and as a kids football coach, just cannot understand or comprehend how a coach could do that to kids you are supposed to be looking after. Barry Bennell & those involved hope you rot in hell & suffer every single day. 

Started to watch it but had to switch it off part way through. I found the graphic details too upsetting & harrowing to watch. Those poor lads had their childhoods stolen and their lives ruined by these sick bastards.

• Members

As a kid playing football through all age groups I never witnessed anything even remotely close to being indecent.

Over 10 years I’ve worked in football, I’ve never seen, or heard of any wrong doing. 
Hearing how so many lads were abused, and the powers that be turned a blind eye to it breaks my heart, I honestly can’t even imagine what they have had to endure and what they now have to live with. 

If you work with kids in any walk of life there should need to be a CRB check, it then needs an independent body, monitoring and regulating kids safety and welfare in sport. 

24 minutes ago, Rudy said:

As a kid playing football through all age groups I never witnessed anything even remotely close to being indecent.

Over 10 years I’ve worked in football, I’ve never seen, or heard of any wrong doing. 
Hearing how so many lads were abused, and the powers that be turned a blind eye to it breaks my heart, I honestly can’t even imagine what they have had to endure and what they now have to live with. 

If you work with kids in any walk of life there should need to be a CRB check, it then needs an independent body, monitoring and regulating kids safety and welfare in sport. 

The program resonated with me as it was similar era to my time playing kids football in fact played against Whitehill who were City’s unofficial kids team, no doubt the manager was Roper same guy who abused Paul Stewart. It’s also crystallised my thoughts on O’Gradi, he must have known something weren’t quite right and it feels likely to me he turned a blind eye. Thankfully though I also never witnessed any sexual abuse. Paul Stewart’s testimony last night will live with me forever and the fact Bennell married Woodward’s sister after abusing her brother just goes to show what a depraved, sick man he was. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• 2 years later...
On 23/03/2021 at 07:36, Rudy said:

I can believe this.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Yet another example of folk turning a blind eye to noncery 

If loads of parents at the time knew, Gradi definitely knew

Absolutely. What bizarre times. Not even sure you can use the ‘it was different in their day’ shout which is logical with a lot of things.

2 minutes ago, tomski said:

Absolutely. What bizarre times. Not even sure you can use the ‘it was different in their day’ shout which is logical with a lot of things.

Drive by any kebab shop in the North of England you'll see evidence of noncing.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Zico said:

Yet another example of folk turning a blind eye to noncery 

If loads of parents at the time knew, Gradi definitely knew

Was it ever actually substantiated at the time?

I see parallels with the Letby case: as if no one could actually believe it was happening, so rumours remained just that.

I parents definitely knew, why didn't they go to the police?

It's bizarre, but there does seem to be a continued stream of folk who manage to manipulate systems and can get into a job where they can undertake their heinous activities. 

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I see parallels with the Letby case: as if no one could actually believe it was happening, so rumours remained just that.

It's bizarre, but there does seem to be a continued stream of folk who manage to manipulate systems and can get into a job where they can undertake their heinous activities. 

Think in the Letby case, it was more than rumours

The trust didn't act because of the reputational damage 

23 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The same could be said about plenty of noncing that happened back in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Just look at how many other footballing coaches, teachers, etc have been done in recent years for stuff they'd done back then.  You'd have to ask parents of kids who had an idea but no actual proof. Presumably the kids never said anything to anyone at the time as they were too scared to.

I'm sure Gradi and plenty of others at Crewe had a good idea that Bennell was a wrong 'un, but had no actual proof and were also wary of dragging the club's reputation through the mud.

• Site Supporter

Aye, that's the thing though- if kids didn't say anything then how do the rumours start?

Is it just a feeling adults get around him, or maybe their kids just seemed uncomfortable going to coaching sessions. Very strange.

With the Letby case, whilst it was no doubt reputation protection, I'm sure had stronger evidence been available they wouldn't have done nothing. Additionally, if those doctors had strong suspicions, but weren't getting support, then again, why not go to the police?

I suppose that's why inquiries take place.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Substantiated, well probably not, as then I'd like to think he would definitely have been arrested and charged 

Mind you, I'm not sure what evidence is needed because he's been sent down on historic charges, presumably because enough people spoke out

So I guess you just need folk to speak out as opposed to actual hard physical evidence

So why didn't they

I can understand kids being too scared 

Maybe parents too when there's a football career on the line 

I don't know who knew what but read he turned up to watch kids matches and the parents would angrily frog march him off

So someone know something

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Zico said:

Substantiated, well probably not, as then I'd like to think he would definitely have been arrested and charged 

Mind you, I'm not sure what evidence is needed because he's been sent down on historic charges, presumably because enough people spoke out

So I guess you just need folk to speak out as opposed to actual hard physical evidence

So why didn't they

I can understand kids being too scared 

I don't know who knew what but read he turned up to watch kids matches and the parents would angrily frog march him off

So someone know something

I think there are cross purposes here. I was talking about Gradi and whether or not he knew.

I think you're talking about BB being fucked off by folk?

I've just been having a bit of a read, and it seems a number of former players (kids then) that were coached by Gradi said how professional he was, and how careful he was with boundaries.

He does seem to have ignored or lived in denial over BB.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

That's the key bit surely. Seeing kids only a few years older break into CL/PL teams and start an exceptionally lucrative career that will see the whole family made for life. Of course deep down they'd know that was unlikely, but there's always that chance - and thus the risk of rocking the boat and being sidelined, especially at a club with such a reputation for producing talent. A strapping 14/15 year old defender could probably twat the fuck out of a noncey coach, but then his career would be over. Word gets out he's a "wrong 'un" and that's that, or at least a career stalled long enough to knacker any chance of the big time. That's the power those bastards had.