Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv licence

Horwich

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Its quite noticeable of a morning when the little one watches either cbeebies (nice and educational) v milkshake on C5 (grotesque adverts for every toy under the sun) 

Fine by me 

Im probably also in minroity but there's something about Nadine Dorris I'd like to do sexy things with, 20 years ago preferably, but would be open to it now

Wrinkle tits. Look at the video.

• Moderators

Thought about it some more 

Maybe I'm just old school 

There's nowt the bbc offer that can't be found elsewhere 

If it dissolved tomorrow i wouldn't notice 

Im happy for it to stay and pay my licence, but times change and on demand subscription based services are the future  

See you later radio 3 

You wouldn't be missed

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Zico said:

Im happy for it to stay and pay my licence, but times change and on demand subscription based services are the future  

See you later radio 3 

You wouldn't be missed

I genuinely think you would. Like most things in life, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Cheese said:

I genuinely think you would. Like most things in life, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

to a degree

I use iPlayer - but not that much compared to other platforms

MOTD? can get highlights elsewhere

stuff with Brian Cox in, yes, but I'm sure he'd rock up elsewhere too

last show I watched on there was The Serpent, plenty good shows elsewhere

I'd miss 5 Live Footy driving home after the match

can't remember that last time I sat down and watch scheduled BBC programs

I think this generation coming through wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was gone in 20 years

BBC still do great dramas IMO and have the most trustworthy News coverage. The radio stations cater for everyone 6music to R4 or 5live. They also deliver fantastic coverage of global sports events (Olympics, World Cup, etc). I would rather this government was disbanded as they are not fit to make such decisions. Dorries is so well informed she claimed C4 should do more with the licence fee money not long ago the dozy cow.

Edited by Farrelli

11 hours ago, Zico said:

See you later radio 3 

You wouldn't be missed

In all seriousness, Radio 3 will be missed. I'll miss it for one, I'm not listening to that ghastly and common Classic FM.

• Site Supporter

A BBC with advertising money coming in would probably knock SkySports into a cocked hat. And BT Sport.

BBC for £15/20 a month with all the footy and cricket?

Maybe Murdoch is hoping to buy them to stop that happening. Run it into the ground.

Fuck knows.

To be honest, if everyone stopped streaming stuff on cheap boxes like massive peasants it might not be so expensive to start with.

34 minutes ago, Spider said:

A BBC with advertising money coming in would probably knock SkySports into a cocked hat. And BT Sport.

BBC for £15/20 a month with all the footy and cricket?

Maybe Murdoch is hoping to buy them to stop that happening. Run it into the ground.

Fuck knows.

To be honest, if everyone stopped streaming stuff on cheap boxes like massive peasants it might not be so expensive to start with.

I think that doesn’t make a jot of difference to be honest. Hardly reasonable before the explode of sticks etc. The chipped boxes before that were so few and far between that I can’t factor them in. 

Fwiw I’m a semi peasant as I have both full and stick.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

to a degree

I use iPlayer - but not that much compared to other platforms

MOTD? can get highlights elsewhere

stuff with Brian Cox in, yes, but I'm sure he'd rock up elsewhere too

last show I watched on there was The Serpent, plenty good shows elsewhere

I'd miss 5 Live Footy driving home after the match

can't remember that last time I sat down and watch scheduled BBC programs

I think this generation coming through wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was gone in 20 years

I agree with all that.

plus the fact that you HAVE to pay for it. Effectively with the threat of bailiffs and court if you don't. That can't be right and younger generation aren't going to stand for that either.

Think someone was saying it works out at 43p per day? Netflix is 20 odd p per day sorry but  know which I prefer and I don't have to have Netflix. 

Then there's Gary Lineker on over a million a year....

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

I agree with all that.

plus the fact that you HAVE to pay for it. Effectively with the threat of bailiffs and court if you don't. That can't be right and younger generation aren't going to stand for that either.

Think someone was saying it works out at 43p per day? Netflix is 20 odd p per day sorry but  know which I prefer and I don't have to have Netflix. 

Then there's Gary Lineker on over a million a year....

Aye, it's an outdated concept in terms of how it's paid for and utilised 

Public service broadcasting, all good, but only if the public want it so to speak 

And other channels i believe are required to have a degree of PSB programs 

Was posted elsewhere in relation to something else, but it's equally apt here 

Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin' 

Netflix is built on debt, a fuck load of debt, have a look. $15 billion worth of debt. The pandemic has been a boon for it and has helped speed up its return to actually having money. But the comparision, whilst understandable (''I have Netflix, I have the BBC and I'm forced to pay for one, but not the other'') isn't like for like, nor could the BBC operate in this fashion (if it did, well it wouldn't be able to be the BBC anymore)

You also don't get sent to court or jail-time since 2020.

The younger generation actually are not adverse to paying into a collective pot for the BBC - its the older generations who seem to get het up about it - actually its the middle age group.

Finally, the BBC does have three commercial divisions - BBC Studios (works with the independent sector and generates 1 and a half billion - returning a % to the BBC group, meaning they can pay the salaries of higher earners to keep talent at the organisation rather than having them poached by commerical organisations eg Gary Lineker), BBC Global News(what is says on the tin and is viewed worldwide on a commercial rate) and BBC Studioworks (technical support on TV productions) 

The headlines are always about presenters salaries (esp presenters people certain people don't like) but its under 10% of total content spend - and that's everyone, all talent wages which is tiny. Tiny, tiny, tiny.

As I say, it's a bone to throw out that is picked up and run with. But as was shown this week - even the Conservatives think cutting national subsidy is a barmpot idea.

9 minutes ago, Zico said:

Aye, it's an outdated concept in terms of how it's paid for and utilised 

Public service broadcasting, all good, but only if the public want it so to speak 

And other channels i believe are required to have a degree of PSB programs 

Was posted elsewhere in relation to something else, but it's equally apt here 

Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin' 

You are trying to compare like for like and that's not how the landscape operates, it also works on the basis that the BBC is only has linear TV output, which as outlined, isn't the case.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You are trying to compare like for like and that's not how the landscape operates, it also works on the basis that the BBC is only has linear TV output, which as outlined, isn't the case.

The point im ultimately making is the tv licence is an outdated concept and it needs a rethink if the bbc is to survive long term 

We're all emotionally attached tp it and sentimental because we grew up with it and consumed it daily  

My nearly 4 year old daughters go to is netflix and iPlayer isnt the only place she can watch bluey and hey duggee 

It's an outdated concept, sooner or later folk will just stop paying for it if they don't use it  

Do folk still come and knock on doors to check if you're using TV?

You don't even need a TV these days to consume entertainment, you just need to be online 

I hope it sticks around 

But find it hard to argue that everyone is obliged to pay for it

7 minutes ago, Zico said:

The point im ultimately making is the tv licence is an outdated concept and it needs a rethink if the bbc is to survive long term 

We're all emotionally attached tp it and sentimental because we grew up with it and consumed it daily  

My nearly 4 year old daughters go to is netflix and iPlayer isnt the only place she can watch bluey and hey duggee 

It's an outdated concept, sooner or later folk will just stop paying for it if they don't use it  

Do folk still come and knock on doors to check if you're using TV?

You don't even need a TV these days to consume entertainment, you just need to be online 

I hope it sticks around 

But find it hard to argue that everyone is obliged to pay for it

Whilst I'm unconviced that a payment towards a national broadcaster is an outdated idea - its the very idea of it that is its value. I'm yet to hear of a workable alternative that delievers on quality, independance, value for spend, collectivism, creativity and commerical outputs that is beholden to us, the public, to represent all views (I know certain people think there's some liberal agenda at work) 

How many other broadcasters regularly have content that critisies themselves? From right to reply to panorama.

You say you don't need a TV - true, so just change the name from TV licence.

Inform, Educated and Entertain - I think those are values which the current model allows better than a purely commercial output and are worth defending against half-baked ideas that the BBC is an irrelvance in the digital world when it has led on many digital media innovations.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tomski said:

I think that doesn’t make a jot of difference to be honest. Hardly reasonable before the explode of sticks etc. The chipped boxes before that were so few and far between that I can’t factor them in. 

Fwiw I’m a semi peasant as I have both full and stick.

Me too

Stick just for stuff I cant get on terrestrial, sky, amazon, netflix and Disney!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Whilst I'm unconviced that a payment towards a national broadcaster is an outdated idea - its the very idea of it that is its value. I'm yet to hear of a workable alternative that delievers on quality, independance, value for spend, collectivism, creativity and commerical outputs that is beholden to us, the public, to represent all views (I know certain people think there's some liberal agenda at work) 

How many other broadcasters regularly have content that critisies themselves? From right to reply to panorama.

You say you don't need a TV - true, so just change the name from TV licence.

Inform, Educated and Entertain - I think those are values which the current model allows better than a purely commercial output and are worth defending against half-baked ideas that the BBC is an irrelvance in the digital world when it has led on many digital media innovations.

first bit in bold - there probably isn't one

second bit - rebadging it won't change much, they'd have to go with a generic name that doesn't suggest your paying for the BBC, or, brand it and give folk even more reason to resist paying

end of the day, we both place great value in it, that's why we pay for it

I just don't see why someone else who has no inclination to use it should have to pay for something just because other people think is of value

maybe the BBC need to move to a more subscription based offering, then see how much money they bring in and if they have to, streamline their output / cut their cloth accordingly

or

look elsewhere for funding - perhaps they could charge the likes of netflix more to show their programs

just don't see why someone else who has no inclination to use it should have to pay for something just because other people think is of value

if that's the case, than you fundamentally don't agree with the come principle of a public broadcaster, which is fair enough.

I do, and I think we would be a much poorer country without it.

• Moderators

So as to feel I'm getting my money's worth, now make a point of only listening to radio 5 in the car 

Just had Radacanu on at the Australian open, never listened to tennis on the radio before fuck me its hard work trying to keep up whilst visualizing what might be going on

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Zico said:

So as to feel I'm getting my money's worth, now make a point of only listening to radio 5 in the car 

Just had Radacanu on at the Australian open, never listened to tennis on the radio before fuck me its hard work trying to keep up whilst visualizing what might be going on

She’s looking like losing here