Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour de France 2022

jeep

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Winchester White said:

I am not talking about making anything more exciting becauae you can't make cycling anymore exciting. What is your point?

You seemed to find them all going in the same direction too boring. I was thinking out loud about how to make it more exciting. 

5 hours ago, Winchester White said:

I get that but its folk all riding in on direction?

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Fair point well made.

I just can't get into it but maybe because I don't 'get' it. 

Yep. Same

One of the things I love about F1 and velodrome cycling is the strategy. Take away the individual skills and the performance of the “machines” and that element fascinates me.

If I spent time “getting into” road cycling I’d probably follow the TDF but it’s not for me. Fair play to those that do

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Yep. Same

One of the things I love about F1 and velodrome cycling is the strategy. Take away the individual skills and the performance of the “machines” and that element fascinates me.

If I spent time “getting into” road cycling I’d probably follow the TDF but it’s not for me. Fair play to those that do

Exactly.

Each to their own.

F1 bores the shit out of me.

For me, this has the lot .

Well, the 3 stages in Denmark are done....

The crowds were amazing, massive turn out from the Danes....

Wout van Aert came 2nd in all 3 stages. Last time that happened was 1930.

Today's stage was won by Dylan Gronewegan. Have a read on his collision with Jakobsen in 2020 at Tour de Pologne.

Rest day/ travelling to France tomorrow.

Then back on it on Tuesday at Dunkirk....

On 01/07/2022 at 15:56, jeep said:

Started today. My favourite annual sporting event, love it.

The Grand Départ is in Copenhagen, now live on ITV4 & Eurosport 1. 2 more stages in Denmark, then off to Dunkirk on Tuesday.

Currently pissing it down in Copenhagen.

Can't see beyond another Tadej Pogačar victory in the General Classification (GC), with Primož Roglič runner up unless he falls off his bike, which he's prone to when the pressure mounts. 

Would love to see Geraint Thomas round out the podium.

Fallen off today in the mini Roubaix stage, dislocated his shoulder, put it back, lost 2 minutes to Pogačar. He'll now support Jonas Vingegaard which is very good news for the Dane....

Thomas & Bury's Adam Yates still in the mixer 👍

20 minutes ago, Spider said:

Pogacar has this already in the bag. He’s something else that lad.

Procession now.

It's still a long way to Paris. However, I have to agree it's looking ominous. Pleased with the way G man (almost) stuck with him. Heartbreak for old Lennie 150 meters from the line. Roglic put in a ride, but there's a couple of crashes to go yet.

40 minutes ago, Offshore said:

It's still a long way to Paris. However, I have to agree it's looking ominous. Pleased with the way G man (almost) stuck with him. Heartbreak for old Lennie 150 meters from the line. Roglic put in a ride, but there's a couple of crashes to go yet.

I think Pogacar will win it but Vingegaard reckons he is better on the long alpine climbs so could yet make it interesting.

I thought the UAE riders came of age today as a team, guiding their man up to 500M of the finish.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

I think Pogacar will win it but Vingegaard reckons he is better on the long alpine climbs so could yet make it interesting.

I thought the UAE riders came of age today as a team, guiding their man up to 500M of the finish.

Pogacar just needs to stay on his wheel, but I think he’ll be out of sight by the time the massive climbs come around

On 08/07/2022 at 17:53, Mannyroader said:

Vingegaard now looking very good. This could be the best and closest tour for years

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Folk saying tennis players ultimate fitness, I’d think the cyclists might challenge that assumption. 

Aye.

3 weeks cycling over 100 miles a day, half of which is up mountains.

Tennis players wouldn’t come close.

Djokovic might, but only because he’s a walking steroid

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Folk saying tennis players ultimate fitness, I’d think the cyclists might challenge that assumption. 

I love the TDF, I think the cyclists would struggle to do a 4 hour 5 setter at the pace of the the top guys. Hard to say who is fittest as it is different requirements 

Both would do me at any event that did not involve drinking.