Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury Town Away

Big E

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In this instance, the player has the space to run up and jump.

As its coming pretty much straight down onto the keeper, Traf doesn't have the opportunity to do similar. 

He should have done better though, only has to punch it away.

That's how I saw it, big lad Dunkley, has a run at it v Trafford stood still. He's not convinced me a couple of times in those situations this season but there's also a role to play for the defenders. One at least should be protecting Trafford a bit, being the buffer in between. Six of them were stood watching

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

That's how I saw it, big lad Dunkley, has a run at it v Trafford stood still. He's not convinced me a couple of times in those situations this season but there's also a role to play for the defenders. One at least should be protecting Trafford a bit, being the buffer in between. Six of them were stood watching

Good point.

Would it be "against the rules" if a defender gave the keeper a leg up to gain extra height?

8 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Said this to my lad on the way home, however Dunkley came in from the blind side so perhaps slight excuse, also noticed Dunkley slightly impeded MJ on the build up to the header. Still with a big dominant centre half in the team I doubt we’d of lost today. 

Southgate made a comment in an interview I heard on radio earlier, 'you can have a philosophy but you're there to win football matches. Philosophy means nothing if you're on the plane home early'. 

To get out of a league like this one, we're going to have to have to win more matches against teams who aren't interested in our philosophy. It's not major surgery or ripping up of beliefs, just the addition of a bit more physicality and ability to mix things up more to overcome different challenges. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

We went forward significantly from the middle of last season, scoring for fun. Why do we seem to have gone backwards, including goals/game reducing?

Teams/managers do their homework and find ways to nullify us. Got to keep evolving- get the feeling that he'll pull one or two more irons out of the fire come January. 

46 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

We went forward significantly from the middle of last season, scoring for fun. Why do we seem to have gone backwards, including goals/game reducing?

We have stopped doing what we were doing earlier in the season we don’t press teams with the same pressure now may be it’s fatigue and we don’t have the energy we had but we stopped teams playing and turned possession over quicker previously. 

Train network fucked to start

if you’re happy with mid table fine (not knocking that we all have expectations)

yes currently in play offs but we won’t soon, personally IE is not the man to kick on and probably reached his shelf life 

but like I said maybe mid table great happy days we all have our goals, we can’t sustain this inconsistency and remain top 6 for much longer 

Edited by radcliffe white

We’re soft as shit.

I thought we played ok going forwards, Lee and Sheehan linked up really well, but… a defensive 3 of Jones, Toal and Johnston will get bullied every week in this shithouse league. They’re not big enough, strong enough, clever enough or brave enough to defend against the big cunts that are in every team in this league. Every cross in the box was a chance for them, we miss Santos and we miss Aimson as back up. If there’s one place that we need to recruit in January then it’s a big cunt to replace either Jones or Johnston and a big cunt in centre mid (that probably starts alongside Morley).

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We’re soft as shit.

I thought we played ok going forwards, Lee and Sheehan linked up really well, but… a defensive 3 of Jones, Toal and Johnston will get bullied every week in this shithouse league. They’re not big enough, strong enough, clever enough or brave enough to defend against the big cunts that are in every team in this league. Every cross in the box was a chance for them, we miss Santos and we miss Aimson as back up. If there’s one place that we need to recruit in January then it’s a big cunt to replace either Jones or Johnston and a big cunt in centre mid (that probably starts alongside Morley).

Big cunt to Replace Johnson for me. 

28 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Jones for me. Far too many goals come down to him being a FB and not CB. Johnston is our best CH

Jones is a right back for me, great going forward, Johnston gives 100% and I know Evatt loves him but for me id like another big experienced centre half, Beevers & wheater types are what we need, 2 like that along side Santos would be perfect.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Jones is a right back for me, great going forward, Johnston gives 100% and I know Evatt loves him but for me id like another big experienced centre half, Beevers & wheater types are what we need, 2 like that along side Santos would be perfect.

Two centre backs who are terrible with the ball at their feet are what we need?

A bit more physicality at the back would be great, but the way Evatt insists on playing means they have to be footballers as well.

44 minutes ago, bromers said:

A bit more physicality at the back would be great, but the way Evatt insists on playing means they have to be footballers as well.

Exactly, they’re rocking horse shit but I really think we need a bigger presence back there.

Just like we did last season, there needs to be upgrades in our weakest positions - as much as I like Jones, he’s not good enough to push on from here and I really question whether Johnston is either (although I think there’s more of a player in him).

I like our starting 11, there are players that have done really well to this point and I feel like we owe them a loyalty, but the same mistakes happen every game, the same pattern emerges and we’re troubled by the same tactics over and over again. We’re still in the pack for the play offs, which is the positive, but if we want to stay there and push on then I think there are 2 or 3 first team places that need upgrading in January.

On a side note, Afolayan looked like a man possessed today, Charles is hopefully kicking on with a goal scoring touch and Sheehan is growing into each and every game (plus Lee just continues to be the best footballer on the pitch).

Sort our soft spine out and we’ll definitely be in the playoffs, which I’m fine with now that I’ve given up on automatic promotion which was my original expectation at the start of the season.

9 hours ago, bromers said:

Given the rate we keep on giving soft goals away Evatt might need to compromise a bit. We need greater physicality all over the pitch, not just the centre backs, every team we line up against is physically more robust than us from 1-11. It's a collective job, protecting our goal and we aren't built for the challenge of it.

A few Hollywood crossfield balls might have to be sacrificed in the interest of keeping a few set pieces out and withstanding bits of penalty box pressure. 

16 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Given the rate we keep on giving soft goals away Evatt might need to compromise a bit. We need greater physicality all over the pitch, not just the centre backs, every team we line up against is physically more robust than us from 1-11. It's a collective job, protecting our goal and we aren't built for the challenge of it.

A few Hollywood crossfield balls might have to be sacrificed in the interest of keeping a few set pieces out and withstanding bits of penalty box pressure. 

I agree, all 3 central defenders don’t have to be footballing centre half’s, Santos takes the roll of playing out from the back and 1 or 2 proper old school defenders protect the goals, Santos would look even better player with 2 hard uncompromising centre half’s by his side. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper