Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury Town Away

Big E

• Site Supporter

People but far too much emphasis on the manager.

He isn’t on the pitch, folks.

Ultimately, our players just aren’t talented enough. Evatt is probably getting the absolute best out of them already but we need new blood to get out of this division. We have a limited squad playing as good as it can.

Mew players required. Manager makes very little difference.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, desperado said:

Good news - just made the first train out to Manchester and turning attentions to England 

Nearly didn’t though. The driver of our shuttle bus had a meltdown when the naughtily boys on the way to the ground had sang and laughed at him because he did look a bit young to hold a PSV licence. 
He said he wouldn’t leave unless there were police on board. Police wouldn’t come on but agreed to follow and if the driver felt uncomfortable, stop the bus and they’ll sort it.

Well, as soon as we set off the “Bus Stopping” bell was doing overtime so I pointed out loudly that if he stopped the bus we’d be very unlikely to catch the train to get us back for the England game. This had the desired effect but we still had to run from bus stop to station. I didn’t know I could still run but I reckon I could have @barryk32over 100 yards. 🤣

39 minutes ago, Spider said:

Ultimately, our players just aren’t talented enough. Evatt is probably getting the absolute best out of them already but we need new blood to get out of this division. We have a limited squad playing as good as it can.

So why have a manager? He is the one who recruited the players; he is the one who can’t get any results from corners or sets us up with players who just can’t defend like Johnston. 

from where we were two years ago IE has worked miracles but we have gone backwards and I am not sure we are going to turn things round with the transfer window like the last two seasons.

it’s nowhere near time to consider changing the manager but I bet even IE himself knows he needs a better second half to this season or the knifes could be out

2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

A team that is terrible at set pieces, at both ends of the pitch, won't get promoted.

That’s what’s killing us at the moment; been like that for a long time.

our bad defending is more than just set pieces though and it’s not just down to Santos missing

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

48 minutes ago, Spider said:

For me he isn’t getting the absolute best

He has in the past, last season from the off & the final few months so he can but it’s not  consistent enough just so stop start 

Shrewsbury just like Cheltenham,FGR etc ain’t world beaters but we make it so difficult 

What I cannot get my head round is that IE was an uncompromising CH so why he cannot sort out our defensive frailties is beyond me. I agree with most Jones is not. CB and Johnstone is too weak against big CF I see him more as a Defensive CM . Also some keep going on about the January transfer window doubt we have any money to bring players in as for outgoings who is going to want Kachunga lol .

• Site Supporter

It's really not too difficult to figure out - we needed a squad to get out of L2. Then we needed a team good enough to consolidate in L1.

This team is good enough to push/get in the play offs.

We need better if we want to go straight up then better again if we want to stay up.

I'm sure our budget is healthy for the division but without having a spare £5m to chuck at it, we have to do things slowly and with the help of the loan market.

A new manager ain't getting any more out of this group. I back Evatt to improve us in January and again in summer

18 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

For me he isn’t getting the absolute best

He has in the past, last season from the off & the final few months so he can but it’s not  consistent enough just so stop start 

Shrewsbury just like Cheltenham,FGR etc ain’t world beaters but we make it so difficult 

Agreed

managers always take the slack, even if it isn’t their fault, and sometimes it isn’t. but they are still instrumental. Many of Evatts decisions have been baffling this season and it’s tough seeing us so far behind the automatics. 

He’s got to take some tough decisions on certain players this window. Can’t see us consolidating the playoffs if he doesn’t.

In our last 10 games (nearly a quarter of the season) most of them against awful, bottom half sides we have amassed just 12 points, winning just 3.

Of those 3 wins, two were won with the last kick of the game and the other from being 2 goals down.

It’s just not acceptable.

Another worrying stat.

With the exception of the first league  game of the season @ Ipswich, when we do concede a goal, we have conceded FIRST in EVERY SINGLE LEAGUE GAME!!!!

That’s pathetic.

Is nobody @ the club aware of these recurring problems and what is being done to rectify it?

I’m not buying into the injuries excuse, we’ve been injury free for most of the season hence the bingo machine.

We have clear clear problems and people just seem to gloss over it.

It will be alright, never mind….

It won’t, we’re bang average and something needs to change and fast or we’ll soon be bottom half.

2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Come on mounts that starting line up wasn’t shabby, yes bench was light but we can’t see the game out 2-1 with 20 to go!

We dominated the game with nearly half a squad out, but ultimately I think we lost because we didn’t have Santos in the team,Toal (who looks promising) and Johnston didn’t do enough and lacked physicality on 2 set pieces and failed to clear the ball… it’s no coincidence the 2 big lads up front both scored. 

1 minute ago, captainmed said:

In our last 10 games (nearly a quarter of the season) most of them against awful, bottom half sides we have amassed just 12 points, winning just 3.

Of those 3 wins, two were won with the last kick of the game and the other from being 2 goals down.

It’s just not acceptable.

Another worrying stat.

With the exception of the first league  game of the season @ Ipswich, when we do concede a goal, we have conceded FIRST in EVERY SINGLE LEAGUE GAME!!!!

That’s pathetic.

Is nobody @ the club aware of these recurring problems and what is being done to rectify it?

I’m not buying into the injuries excuse, we’ve been injury free for most of the season hence the bingo machine.

We have clear clear problems and people just seem to gloss over it.

It will be alright, never mind….

It won’t, we’re bang average and something needs to change and fast or we’ll soon be bottom half.

While all that is true, every team bar Ipswich are having similar inconsistent spells against teams they should be beating, we are a top 6 squad and should finish in the top 6 if we don’t it will be Evatts fault, I’m convinced we will strengthen January and that will iron out some of the faults and flaws in performance and in the squad. Get yourself prepared for play offs.. if we fail that then I’ll be questioning Evatt. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We dominated the game with nearly half a squad out, but ultimately I think we lost because we didn’t have Santos in the team,Toal (who looks promising) and Johnston didn’t do enough and lacked physicality on 2 set pieces and failed to clear the ball… it’s no coincidence the 2 big lads up front both scored. 

Highlighted toal looks promising

for me a problem why get someone in who isn’t ready? just like beck seems strange

Apart from santos the rest are regulars

IE himself highlighted the issue regarding weak defending last season 

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

While all that is true, every team bar Ipswich are having similar inconsistent spells against teams they should be beating, we are a top 6 squad and should finish in the top 6 if we don’t it will be Evatts fault, I’m convinced we will strengthen January and that will iron out some of the faults and flaws in performance and in the squad. Get yourself prepared for play offs.. if we fail that then I’ll be questioning Evatt. 

I agree If we finish top 6 IE has done his job.

At the moment though I just can’t see it.

6 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Highlighted toal looks promising

for me a problem why get someone in who isn’t ready? just like beck seems strange

Apart from santos the rest are regulars

IE himself highlighted the issue regarding weak defending last season 

Given the lack of physicality in the other players in defence we miss Santos more than any player in the squad, I’ll also add while Lee had a great game yesterday pairing him with Sheehan is a worry for me, play one or the other, Thomason/Dempsey was also a big miss and would of given better balance and a stronger shield and allowed us more possession. There are mitigating circumstances for yesterdays loss given the key players missing that would have given us a more balanced starting 11. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper