Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

France - Euros Trip

Widnes Two Hats

Booked 10th > 18th June 

Out on Eurostar and then having a mooch about over there. 

Paris 10th> Mareilles 11th (Aix en Provence) > Montpellier 12th >  Tolouse 13th > Bordeaux 14th is as far as we've got for hotels.  

Not particularly looking forward to Lens if France 98 was anything to go by.   

• Moderators

Lens is a shithole, with nowhere near enough hotel beds to keep being allowed to stage international football.

the ground's capacity is greater than the population of the town!

• 2 weeks later...

Booked 10th > 18th June 

Out on Eurostar and then having a mooch about over there. 

Paris 10th> Mareilles 11th (Aix en Provence) > Montpellier 12th >  Tolouse 13th > Bordeaux 14th is as far as we've got for hotels.  

Not particularly looking forward to Lens if France 98 was anything to go by.   

Sounds splendid

Edited by Widnes Two Hats

• Site Supporter

My lad and nephew are going. Lad got tickets through adidas (Knew it would come in handy for him)

They got England v Wales and last 16 which will involve the winner of England's group.

He's after a couple of England v Slovakia if anyone hears of any spares.

• 1 month later...

Didn't they do the same in Lens in '98?

I remember some had somehow got their hands on some booze, but mostly, there were groups of lads meandering around like lost sheep, it was quite amusing to observe :D

Yes, they did.

I was over there for the tournament working for Anheuser-Busch and we did a roaring trade selling "friends and family" access to our hospitality tents.

We've tricked them and booked in Valenciennes so it will be a quick trip in and out and back to the alcohol rivers of the suburbs, I can imagine the bar owner in Lens telling Mr H that he is not allowed to serve any alcohol

Mr H didn't get any ale in 98 in Lens and the trains stopped running to Lille that day so surprised he's going back.

If its anything like the Colombia v England game in 98 I would not bother 80,000 England fans went and the stadium held about 40,000 and the train stopped running after Lille was destroyed it was mayhem.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.