Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

"designer" Labels

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

I wouldn’t really call it designer but most of my t-shirts are Lacoste because they wash and iron brilliantly.

Other than that, I don’t really notice designer brands and haven’t got a clue what most of their logos are

I think the quality of Ted Baker stuff has gone down hill, I had a pair of boots that disintegrated around my feet in a matter of a few weeks

I love the quality of Hugo Boss but struggle to find stuff without the label all over it, they used to do some cracking plain T shirts. I feel like a cunt in anything with branding on, unless it’s very small

Reiss is probably my preferred brand these days, the suits and outerwear are perticularly good

Saying that, a lot of my day to day stuff is from Next these days, reasonable enough quality for the price. Especially summer wear like shorts, only wear them a handful of times a year. Not paying top whack for all that

I think the quality of Ted Baker stuff has gone down hill, I had a pair of boots that disintegrated around my feet in a matter of a few weeks

I love the quality of Hugo Boss but struggle to find stuff without the label all over it, they used to do some cracking plain T shirts. I feel like a cunt in anything with branding on, unless it’s very small

Reiss is probably my preferred brand these days, the suits and outerwear are perticularly good

Saying that, a lot of my day to day stuff is from Next these days, reasonable enough quality for the price. Especially summer wear like shorts, only wear them a handful of times a year. Not paying top whack for all that

This.

I do have a like of Ted baker shirts and Penguin tennis style shirts and jumpers though.

All about quality and longevity these days.

Edited by madthatter

Crew Clothing gear lasts forever and is relatively understated.

Anyone paying over £100 for a tshirt or shirt is a bit of a cunt.

My self imposed rule is about max £100 for kecks - £70 for a shirt - £40 for a polo shirt £30 for a t-shirt. Footwear and coats - I'm a bit more relaxed with - sometimes you have to spend a bit bigger. The only other thing I'll break the bank for is a nice suit.

Isn't most of it knocked up in a Bangladeshi or a Far Eastern sweatshop these days?

You pay extra if it's made over here, I like the Fred Perry Made in England stuff but you're paying £30-40 extra on what you would for the "normal" stuff.

And it still all ends up with balti pie down it.

Some labels are just taking the piss because they know they can, for example the pricing for the SPZL clothing range is bonkers. £65 for a towel this time! 

My self imposed rule is about max £100 for kecks - £70 for a shirt - £40 for a polo shirt £30 for a t-shirt. Footwear and coats - I'm a bit more relaxed with - sometimes you have to spend a bit bigger. The only other thing I'll break the bank for is a nice suit.

Wow that's a high budget. I'd say half that for me. Shoes, coats and suits the exception. Don't go cheap on those. Everything else I buy in sales. 

Wow that's a high budget. I'd say half that for me. Shoes, coats and suits the exception. Don't go cheap on those. Everything else I buy in sales.

That's my max though Dan - if I really like something. Most of the time I'll buy cheaper where I can....

Stone Island - decent but expensive clothing or a label hijacked by wannabe football hard boys?

Superb quality. I’ve worn it since I was 15 and at 40 still wear it as my primary choice of clothes.

And never considered myself a football hard boy and never will.

• Site Supporter

Superb quality. I’ve worn it since I was 15 and at 40 still wear it as my primary choice of clothes.

And never considered myself a football hard boy and never will.

When I was a teenager it was an arm full of tattoos that made you look the hard boy. Nowadays its the clothing you wear and River... sorry, Stone Island send to be the badge of aggression. Maybe not by all, I've no doubt there must be something more than a label buttoned to the sleeve and some folk wear them despite their popularity amongst folk who strut about looking for someone to thump.

Stone Island is falling out of favour with a lot of the younger lads at football due to overkill, similar to Burberry and Aquascutum in the nineties. I’ve offered some really nice vintage stuff, 20+ year old, to one of my lads whose clobber mad and he’s turned it down.

The fact they’re still wearable says a lot about the quality of the label, especially the older stuff.

They seem to be aiming for a different demographic these days though with lots of stuff aimed at the Urban/Grime/Hiphop kids..

It's a lot of money to look like a hot water tank

Stone Island is falling out of favour with a lot of the younger lads at football due to overkill, similar to Burberry and Aquascutum in the nineties. I’ve offered some really nice vintage stuff, 20+ year old, to one of my lads whose clobber mad and he’s turned it down.

The fact they’re still wearable says a lot about the quality of the label, especially the older stuff.

They seem to be aiming for a different demographic these days though with lots of stuff aimed at the Urban/Grime/Hiphop kids..

Drake has worn the stuff for years so i think that's helped it gain popularity plus they've done link ups with his brand OVO.

I love looking at some of the higher end designers stuff in Selfridges and Harvey Nicks, could never justify paying the prices but there's some nice stuff.

Theres loads of chinese students in manc wearing outfits that cost up to a grand at retail, even more if they've bought them from third party sellers