Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackburn Away

matty2094

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

2 upfront against Norwich, 1 upfront against Ipswich... Anyone care to defend those decisions? 

this argument always gets me.

1 upfront can very easily be 3 up front (with the wide men) or 2 upfront (with the supporting midfielder).

plus why the hell would you want two donkeys (magennis and donaldson). neither can kick a ball straight.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, HomerJay said:

1 upfront can very easily be 3 up front (with the wide men) or 2 upfront (with the supporting midfielder).

plus why the hell would you want two donkeys (magennis and donaldson). neither can kick a ball straight.

Parky... 3 upfront.... Will not compute 😁

4 hours ago, Matthew1234 said:

I do agree on your points about some players not being good enough, but likewise I think with simple tweaks to the system and shape we would have been far better off. 

We've lacked pace in wide areas - simple solution, play Little out wide. That way we aren't just focusing EVERYTHING through Ameobi. 

We struggle going box to box, play Vela our best midfielder for that (in my opinion). 

We lack craft. Play Oztumer in the hole. 

Small, simple changes could change the face of this team. Magennis/Donaldson aren't good enough to play completely isolated. They need help. Pace out wide with some box to box players and a creative player in behind would have reaped rewards for me. Parki clearly disagrees but I think he's missed so many opportunities this season. 

I'll preface this by agreeing that the football has been truly turgid and shite... So they sound reasonable tweaks and I'd have liked to see them tried. That said, there's a couple of possibilities that come to mind. Parkinson is so wedded to his system that he refuses to try anything else or alternatively,  the defenders are poor at this level and he feels that opening up the team in this way would ship more goals than they can score with the attacking talent available. I don't know how to determine which is true but the latter feels more likely to me given the quality, or lack thereof in the squad. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Fully understand that we haven’t got great players, I don’t think anybody doubts that. There is an argument to say that the players are better than they are currently showing based on previous clubs etc., or that we have players in the squad that aren’t being used when they could improve us.

But the biggest failing for me, and I’ve said this before, is the lack of basics that don’t require loads of money to get right. We should be running more than any other team, we should be the fittest team in the league, we should press and close down and make it difficult for anyone to play against us, we should have a solid shape and press in numbers, we should be fucking brilliant at set pieces, every set piece should be a chance, we should be able to take a throw in with a very simple way of playing our way out and keeping the ball, we should be using every shithouse trick in the book (not seen since Henry left last season). All of these can be done without the most skilful players but would make up some way for the lack of ability, and there’s loads more. It should be obvious when you watch the team week on week that they are working on things, obviously it would be good to see the passing and moving improving and the more technical side but that’s where ability becomes a limitation, at the very least you should be able to see evidence of the above in matches but there’s absolutely fuck all. He’s given up, they’ve given up and they can all fuck off if they’re going to keep hold of their shit mentality over the summer.

This I think is both fair and damning. 

If Bassini is genuine and not a carpet bagger then I think he has to say goodbye to PP because the club desperately needs a fresh start. I do think some of the criticism he gets ignores the conditions he's been operating under but regardless, once he's lost so many of the supporters it doesn't really matter whether the criticism is fair or not. 

What I do take issue with is the blanket presumption that anyone but PP is going to be an improvement. How many managers who are so promising that they have a choice of club would be angling to take on this job, with this group of players, with this chairman, either present or future and with so many question marks over the future? It could be a career ending choice and PP may have regretted taking it on more than once. He's stayed, remained dignified throughout and deserves some respect for that whether some of you want to give him it or not. 

I think we are now financially a third tier team.

We may have the number of fans of a championship team but we dont have the finances.

The championship is now like the premier league was to us around 2002 we just cant compete at this level.

I would prefer parky was given next season since that is our level nowadays but it seems that a lot of supporters are dead set against him and so a poor start next season could see a quick dismissal. But who would take on this basket case of a club? Not many credible or established managers.

Its a big gamble getting rid of him.

Edited by Tungsten3

1 minute ago, Tungsten3 said:

We may have the number of fans of a championship team but we dont have the finances.

The championship is now like the premier league was to us around 2002 we just cant compete at this level.

I would prefer parky was given next season since that is our level nowadays but it seems that a lot of supporters are dead set against him and so a poor start next season could see a quick dismissal. But who would take on this basket case of a club? Not many credible or established managers.

It's a much bigger gamble keeping him. Another season of watching dross. Wasn't exactly great watching them last time in the 3rd tier. Our gates would be half of what they were last time of Parkinson was in charge.

To be fair to Parkinson he was what was required that first season ie organisation./Plan A /reasonable recruitment for league 1 Morias /Taylor .Set plays Wheater & Beevers netting a shedfull

Got away with it last season but still a gallant effort by one & all certainly not pretty on the eye.

This distaster of a season has definately shown his tactical limitations but have you ever seen worse crossers of a ball than Noone & Buckley? Parkinsons non use of Little has surprised me particulary since Ameobi & Little were a good combination last season  even given Olawoskis decent start..

Ok Little isnt a great defender but we have used a back three plenty this season.

The critical mass of supporters want Parky gone & we cant afford a to ignore that fact if we want to move forward.

For me it boils down to the fact that he’s proven not to be a championship level manager. He’s tactically not upto scratch and far too inflexible. 

Yes he may have a very good record at league one level. But if he does get you promoted from that level you are going to have to get shut. So it makes no sense to utilise a manager to try and get you out of a division and then change so we must get rid. 

This is aside from The fact that the football we play is utter horseshit which is another reason as can’t see gates holding Up with him at the helm and our finances need our attendances to hold up as well as possible  

thanks for the efforts but please go and ply you trade with another club 

7 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Murphy played half his career at Crewe and has made as many appearances in L1 and L2 as in the Championship.

Before joining us Hobbs had made something 16 starts for Forest since the start of 2016.

Buckley failed to get a first team spot at his parent club and had been out on loan from 2015 before joining us.

Noone is the exception in your list and had been played regularly at Cardiff but Warnock could see that at almost 30 he wasn't going to be getting any quicker or more skilful as a winger and so got rid.

BWFC and PP didn't make these players shit, they're performing at the level you'd expect if you look at it objectively.

Good summary. I would also put Hobbs in a different category to the others, there are different levels of shitness. There will be several times in every game that I see the centre halves do good work where I think 'he looks half decent', yes even Wilson. They may lack pace but have the ability to pass well, make blocks, win headers and tackles. The opposition defence often looks as dodgy as ours, it's just that we are incapable of exposing them. Not so the midfielders, strikers and full backs. Most of them that Parky picks are completely out of their depth, with the exception of O'Neill, Ameobi and Connell. Not once in a game do I applaud Buckley, because he can't do anything I couldn't have done myself 20 years ago. Baffling by Parky.

6 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Correct mate, think it was Buckley v Leeds just before they scored, got the ball on the right promising attack and he forgot to take the ball with him!!

that ain’t nothing to do with how much a player cost or where they have played before it’s basic football 

Or they could forget about coaching and just pick the attacking players that are capable of doing it without being supervised...e.g. ALF, Oz, O'Neill, Ameobi, Connell could have been the backbone of the attacking half of the side all season (or for most of it in Connell's case) instead of the hotch potch of chopping and changing that we have seen. And yes we may have still gone down but he would have made less enemies.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I'm not happy clapping the coaching staff here but surely If you're a professional footballer and you can't pass the ball with any accuracy and you have no idea how to move around the pitch then it's not the coaching staff who are at fault it's just that you're in the wrong job.

The manager and/or above could be blamed for bringing the player in but surely it isn't the coaching staff's job to teach a professional how to do the basics.

Can't argue with much of that and I largely agree, though I would suggest if it was that simple, we wouldn't have managers.

They set up the ethos etc, and maybe if players don't conform they get dropped. Presumably some are happy to tow the line and play. A difficult balancing act, but we see it season in season out- where teams basically fail and the basics disappear.

30 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Or they could forget about coaching and just pick the attacking players that are capable of doing it without being supervised...e.g. ALF, Oz, O'Neill, Ameobi, Connell could have been the backbone of the attacking half of the side all season (or for most of it in Connell's case) instead of the hotch potch of chopping and changing that we have seen. And yes we may have still gone down but he would have made less enemies.

Correct, Rotherham will probably go but they made a fight and played some decent stuff on spending £0

There is another thread about our next manager but Paul Warne is the perfect example of someone that may not get massively better results than parky, but who's attitude is chalk and cheese. I would happily support a Paul Warne team in Div 1 (or championship in our current modest state).

Or anyone not frightened to try something different when Plan A doesn't work.

Making the following swaps is merely rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic ...

Donaldson/Magennis
Noone/Buckley
Lowe/Murphy/Vela
Beevers/Wheater/Hobbs
Alnwick/Matthews

Change for the sake of change is pointless, there has to be a positive intention.

2 hours ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I'll preface this by agreeing that the football has been truly turgid and shite... So they sound reasonable tweaks and I'd have liked to see them tried. That said, there's a couple of possibilities that come to mind. Parkinson is so wedded to his system that he refuses to try anything else or alternatively,  the defenders are poor at this level and he feels that opening up the team in this way would ship more goals than they can score with the attacking talent available. I don't know how to determine which is true but the latter feels more likely to me given the quality, or lack thereof in the squad. 

This I think is both fair and damning. 

If Bassini is genuine and not a carpet bagger then I think he has to say goodbye to PP because the club desperately needs a fresh start. I do think some of the criticism he gets ignores the conditions he's been operating under but regardless, once he's lost so many of the supporters it doesn't really matter whether the criticism is fair or not. 

What I do take issue with is the blanket presumption that anyone but PP is going to be an improvement. How many managers who are so promising that they have a choice of club would be angling to take on this job, with this group of players, with this chairman, either present or future and with so many question marks over the future? It could be a career ending choice and PP may have regretted taking it on more than once. He's stayed, remained dignified throughout and deserves some respect for that whether some of you want to give him it or not. 

Career ending choice? How many managers have made one of those? This is an industry that continually rewards failure. See Coyle for example 

Blackpool have had well documented problems but don't seem to have a shortage of candidates. Bowyer, who I would have over Parky, went there 

If Parky were to be sacked then he could spin the situation anyhow he liked in a new job interview. Wouldn't resign as he felt loyalty or didn't achieve due to circumstances beyond his control 

A chairman could easily be pleased by either of those 

Edited by DirtySanchez
Spelling

• The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, Tungsten3 said:

Have you seen his tactics this season and his signings?

Take some tablets because your not mentally right

3 hours ago, HomerJay said:

All valid points. 

Trouble is though, when we are 1 up front it literally is 1 up front.

On the rare occasion one of our shite wingers gets a decent ball into the box our one shite striker is hopelessly outnumbered.

That's all got to be down to Parkinson's reluctancy to commit players to going forwards IMO.

I can't keep track of which of the 3 threads is which as they're all blurring but if PP is going then do we not need the next bloke in place before the first round of contracts are up on 30th May?

That means in 5 weeks we've got to get an owner ratified and properly in place, all our debts paid off, a new manager appointed, and half the squad released.

Piece of piss...

3 hours ago, Tungsten3 said:

It would be an even bigger gamble keeping him. 

13 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I can't keep track of which of the 3 threads is which as they're all blurring but if PP is going then do we not need the next bloke in place before the first round of contracts are up on 30th May?

That means in 5 weeks we've got to get an owner ratified and properly in place, all our debts paid off, a new manager appointed, and half the squad released.

Piece of piss...

Easily achieved with the massive levels of inward investment which are doubtless just around the corner.

3 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

The critical mass of supporters want Parky gone & we cant afford a to ignore that fact if we want to move forward.

That I agree with.