Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Elon Musk.

leigh white

Been watching this case with him calling the main rescuer in Thailand when those kids got trapped in a cave a Pedo on twitter, I think Vern Unsworth wanted $ 170 million for defamation, I think if he would have settled for about £ 50,000, Musk would have paid up out of court.

Looked like an open and shut case to me. Elon Musk has achieved some incredible things - but he made himself look like a massive whopper during what turned out to be one of the most uplifting stories about human nature in my lifetime.

Wait till he fucks up the night sky in about 10 years with all these satellites he's planning on launching too.

Why in a case like this is the amount of money the defendant has relevant? 

Surely a crime is a crime?

Is some skint fucker calls me a peado on Twitter I claim £170m for defamation of character it’d get laughed out of court. 

Everyone knows the bloke isn’t a peado and tusk was just being a cock. 

Greedy fucker imo 

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Looked like an open and shut case to me. Elon Musk has achieved some incredible things - but he made himself look like a massive whopper during what turned out to be one of the most uplifting stories about human nature in my lifetime.

Wait till he fucks up the night sky in about 10 years with all these satellites he's planning on launching too.

It could have been an open and shut case. The lawyers wanted Musk to appear, so chose to sue in US rather than UK. He was still resisting, so instead of a hearing in LA it was held in some Hicksville place 20 miles from Musk's home, and he still wouldn't appear.

It was rather like the Revenue charging Ken Dodd in front of a Liverpool jury. Not guilty M'lud.

In the US the jury can be interviewed after the case (really). One said that Musk was found not guilty because he had not named the individual. But everybody knew precisely who he was referring to go figure. The guy wasn't on twitter himself, but friends brought it to his attention as it so obviously referred to him.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Is some skint fucker calls me a peado on Twitter I claim £170m for defamation of character it’d get laughed out of court. 

Greedy fucker imo 

Would presume it was the lawyers wanting the 170m.

Does seem a ridiculous amount of money, but report said it's not the first time he's had to pay out loads. Seems a big dick does musk.

48 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Greedy fucker imo 

Because it's a jury trial, and being wealthier means a person can afford the expensive lawyers who are more talented at presenting arguments.

Musk also tweeted "bet ya a dollar it's true" and, given he reportedly searched the interenet beforehand and found information relating to Thailand, were the caver lived, being a target for peadophiles, it's not difficult to understand how "pedo guy" could've been perceived as a loaded term.

• Site Supporter

Just reading a bit about the background to the case. Seems musk was very helpful in the efforts to rescue the lads, and whilst his submarine wasn't suitable, our diver was less than complimentary and perhaps spoke somewhat out of turn.

When I read "pedo guy" I keep thinking of Jim Carey ringing and shouting "cable guy".

• Moderators

interesting precedent been set

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50695593

One of the smartest moves by Elon Musk's defence was in introducing the concept of "JDart", an acronym to describe their client's conduct on Twitter in relation to the infamous "pedo guy" tweet.

A JDart, lawyer Alex Spiro explained, meant: a Joke that was badly received, therefore Deleted, with an Apology and then Responsive Tweets to move on from the matter. JDart.

It's clumsy, for sure, but it meant Mr Spiro could offer the jury here a degree of structure around what before seemed senseless: Mr Musk may have acted foolishly with the J, but he soon "darted", which is how you know he wasn't being serious about the allegation.

Expect the JDart "standard" to be applied again and again, not just in libel trials, but in any arena where social media behaviour is under scrutiny - a parachute for anyone who, in the heat of the moment, says something idiotic online.

• 4 months later...