Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Underrated bands/groups/singers

Not in Crawley

3 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Talking of tribute bands, after a lass at our place said she'd just been to see a Roy Orbison tribute act then I wondered what punning name he could have.

Couldn't think of one, but then a moment of genius came to me (if I say so myself).

If he was "Boy Orbison" then it's two for the price of one - first half of the gig he's dressed as Boy George, singing Orbison songs, then after the interval he comes out dressed as Roy Orbison, singing Karma Chameleon etc. It's got immense potential!

My favourite is Sunderland Oasis tribute Howaysis 🙃

• Moderators
18 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Perry have been niggling me all day because I have some memory of the name but not really them, my mate went as far as telling me about practising at Redbridge and how we'd seen em loads.

It's mad when you think you could watch bands in town a good 4 days a week for a while, some good solid stuff like Three Fat Bastards, Right Band Wrong Planet, Tony Auton and loads loads more.

Dirty tryx were shit

On 18/09/2020 at 19:48, Spider said:

Neds, Stuffies, Carter, Cud, PWEI - all under rated when you look back.

At the time, they felt massive but we were in that bubble I suppose.

Cud were ace. Carl sang a song for a mate's band's demo when their singer fucked off at short notice. Bloke from the Bridewell Taxis did one too.

Bizarrely,  that Clint fella from PWEI is a big cheese in film scores now. Grammy nominations and all that bollocks

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Cud were ace. Carl sang a song for a mate's band's demo when their singer fucked off at short notice. Bloke from the Bridewell Taxis did one too.

Bizarrely,  that Clint fella from PWEI is a big cheese in film scores now. Grammy nominations and all that bollocks

aye, he did Requiem For A Dream which is fucking ace (and pretty much all Darren Aronofsky's films)

3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Cud 👍good call. Cool guy was Carl P

The ultimate underrated band of my youth was  Budgie . Superb live saw them support many big bands including  Ozzys blizzard . Had there moments but never quite hit the big time until Metallica helped out a bit when they covered breadfan and crash course in brain surgery . Stole the show at reading one year as well around 81 ish . 

• Moderators
On 21/09/2020 at 09:41, mickbrown said:

Cud were ace. 

I don't know them, or any of their songs / albums

All i remember of them was they once sang a cover of Pyscho Killer on an episide of Sean's Show

Edited by ZicoKelly

11 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I don't know them, or any of their songs / albums

All i remember of them was they once sang a cover of Pyscho Killer on an episide of Sean's Show

Check out their cover of Hot Chocolate’s ‘You Sexy Thing’. Proper bonkers

Edited by mickbrown

5 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Richard Hawley isn't underrated - the press spuff over everything he does (despite him releasing Coles Corner 5 times) Agree with 

He was on my mind. Just watched all 3 series of Gone Fishing and 90% of the soundtrack is Hawley.