Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Quick Burnden Question

matty2094

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Thanks for that mate.

This is the picture I have behind my chairĀ at work, snapped it this morning for Matty2094.

Its how I remember Burnden in my mind's eye (from the pie shop), it is from a calendar my old mum had on her wall, it was sold by Bolton Hospice, the artist has signed it "Brian"

Brian Barlow is my guess. He does all of Bolton Hospice calendars.

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/barlow-brian-ewaqt6stw1/sold-at-auction-prices/

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Traf said:

Ā 

Ā 

KdRuau7.jpg

Ā 

19 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Thanks for that mate.

This is the picture I have behind my chairĀ at work, snapped it this morning for Matty2094.

Its how I remember Burnden in my mind's eye (from the pie shop), it is from a calendar my old mum had on her wall, it was sold by Bolton Hospice, the artist has signed it "Brian"

It is a belter that one šŸ‘

34 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Thanks for that mate.

Happy to help, even if us old clique members are supposedly being mean to newbies šŸ˜‰

On 05/04/2021 at 10:13, Zico said:

if you're going to do it would have to be this bit:

mlJkCFn.png

you'll need one of these over to the right

DXi-qIzX0AE87zH.jpg

My old hobby horse

We could have brought out the terrace houses and moved the pitch 50 to 75 yds away from Normid and redeveloped Burnden Park, just like they did at Molineux. But Gordon wanted his new hotel-stadium complex just down the road from his Georgian House Hotel and jumped into bed with Paul Emerson Jones from Alderley Edge

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

My old hobby horse

We could have brought out the terrace houses and moved the pitch 50 to 75 yds away from Normid and redeveloped Burnden Park, just like they did at Molineux. But Gordon wanted his new hotel-stadium complex just down the road from his Georgian House Hotel and jumped into bed with Paul Emerson Jones from Alderley Edge

Iā€™m too young to remember the inā€™s and outā€™s of the moveĀ but,Ā on the evidence of the houses around Anfield, it would have taken decades to buy up all of the houses required, and would have cost an absolute fortune.Ā 

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Iā€™m too young to remember the inā€™s and outā€™s of the moveĀ but,Ā on the evidence of the houses around Anfield, it would have taken decades to buy up all of the houses required, and would have cost an absolute fortune.Ā 

I wondered whetherĀ they could have turned the pitch round and expanded onto the front car park and behind the Burnden paddock, demolishing the gym block.

3 hours ago, Dimron said:

My old hobby horse

Peter Emerson Jones.

Apologies for the pedantry.Ā 

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

I wondered whetherĀ they could have turned the pitch round and expanded onto the front car park and behind the Burnden paddock, demolishing the gym block.

I always thought that should have been explored.

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, Steejay said:

Iā€™d imagine whoever was in goal at the St Peters Way end wouldā€™ve been buggered by the low winter sun.

I still drop my jaw when I see that fckg supermarket !!

I once, post Bruce's promotion to the Premiership, at a celebratory dinner in the Town Hall, was sat at a table with the no-tail council planning employee who gave that aberration the green light.

My brother said she was very touchy about it & to avoid the subject.

F'cough. I got into it very early on. She left the table all huffy. Someone said I'd upset her. "Good .... nowhere near as much as she upset me !".

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I once, post Bruce's promotion to the Premiership, at a celebratory dinner in the Town Hall, was sat at a table with the no-tail council planning employee who gave that aberration the green light.

F'cough. I got into it very early on. She left the table all huffy. Someone said I'd upset her. "Good .... nowhere near as much as she upset me !".

Good work

On 10/04/2021 at 11:42, matty2094 said:

Finally got Deepdale out the way. Took more trial and error than Iā€™d anticipated so Iā€™ll be moving on to Burnden this weekend. Will get some pictures up when itā€™s getting nearer designed.Ā 

Are you going to be selling this off mate? If you are can I suggest (tell me to fuck off) that you auction it maybe on here? Maybe even with a charity angle of some sort within?Ā 

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Well said mate.

I recall "The Embankment Redevelopment" promised us on site dining etc. and escalators up to our seats,,, what did we get? An effing big brick wall.

46 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Well said mate.

I recall "The Embankment Redevelopment" promised us on site dining etc. and escalators up to our seats,,, what did we get? An effing big brick wall.

iirc the projected plan was to build the Normid right along the embankment. Reducing its depth right along, build a roof off it & we'd still look like a football ground.

I was still playing & lived in Chester so wasn't up to date. I walked in for a very early season league cup match (Wigan or Bury I think) and saw a fckg brick wallĀ consuming 40% of the embankment coming up to 6ft of the cinder track.

I don't recall the game. Just my confusion. How the fckg Hell could anyone have accepted that plan ? Surely it was anninterim 'solution' ?

Meeting this idiot, a Scot if I recall, who apparently didn't understand the fuss & the hostility and had been very vocal about "people will get used to it"Ā was an opportunity I wasn't going to let go.

I didn't.Ā 

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

iirc the projected plan was to build the Normid right along the embankment. Reducing its depth right along, build a roof off it & we'd still look like a football ground.

I was still playing & lived in Chester so wasn't up to date. I walked in for a very early season league cup match (Wigan or Bury I think) and saw a fckg brick wallĀ consuming 40% of the embankment coming up to 6ft of the cinder track.

I don't recall the game. Just my confusion. How the fckg Hell could anyone have accepted that plan ? Surely it was anninterim 'solution' ?

Meeting this idiot, a Scot if I recall, who apparently didn't understand the fuss & the hostility and had been very vocal about "people will get used to it"Ā was an opportunity I wasn't going to let go.

I didn't.Ā 

Word is, if Normid hadnā€™t happened then nor would any future for Wanderers. I have no idea if someone was over-egging the pudding but it was certainly the word at the time.

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

Word is, if Normid hadnā€™t happened then nor would any future for Wanderers. I have no idea if someone was over-egging the pudding but it was certainly the word at the time.

Yep, I remember, but that changed the whole supermarket decision. I'm not sure we weren't scammed. Fckg Qwarp.

Obviously I'm not sure we were either but fck me, what an outcome.Ā