Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

Horwich

28 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

In the last month Plymouth  stuck 4  past Cheltenham, Derby stuck 3 past them. Bolton don't create many chances and don't score many goals because they are too negative in my opinion. John, Toal, Santos Jones, Bradley is one too many defenders and the reason for the lack of chances and goals, not the tactics of Cheltenham.

Too negative?! We had 24 shots away at Charlton last week in the same shape. Plymouth scored 4 and Derby scored 3 playing 3/5 at the back. Every team in the top 6 plays 3/5 at the back so that isn’t an argument. Didn’t all 3 teams promoted last season play 3/5 at the back?… Sunderland didn’t before they sacked Johnson but did when Neill came in … they switched. We have the 3rd best defence in the league and the 5th/6th best in the EFL. Goals win games … defences win promotions.

Cheltenham’s tactics are exactly what knocked us off our game and why we struggle against those types of teams. The low block and disrupting our momentum at every opportunity. It is very difficult to play at any tempo when they take a minute for every goal kick, throw in etc then sit with 10 behind the ball. It is one our biggest weaknesses and we usually don’t score early enough to draw those types of teams out. That being said whilst we weren’t at our best yesterday we still had chances with the ball across the box 2/3 times, Dion had  a few… we just need to take those chances. We also kept our 8th clean sheet in a row at home…. 

31 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Too negative?! We had 24 shots away at Charlton last week in the same shape. Plymouth scored 4 and Derby scored 3 playing 3/5 at the back. Every team in the top 6 plays 3/5 at the back so that isn’t an argument. Didn’t all 3 teams promoted last season play 3/5 at the back?… Sunderland didn’t before they sacked Johnson but did when Neill came in … they switched. We have the 3rd best defence in the league and the 5th/6th best in the EFL. Goals win games … defences win promotions.

Cheltenham’s tactics are exactly what knocked us off our game and why we struggle against those types of teams. The low block and disrupting our momentum at every opportunity. It is very difficult to play at any tempo when they take a minute for every goal kick, throw in etc then sit with 10 behind the ball. It is one our biggest weaknesses and we usually don’t score early enough to draw those types of teams out. That being said whilst we weren’t at our best yesterday we still had chances with the ball across the box 2/3 times, Dion had  a few… we just need to take those chances. We also kept our 8th clean sheet in a row at home…. 

The pitch isn’t helping our style either, IE mentioned the players having to take an extra touch yesterday 

Just now, onefinfrandsen said:

The pitch isn’t helping our style either, IE mentioned the players having to take an extra touch yesterday 

Which is true, but we had same issues against these types of teams regardless of the pitch to be fair.

Just concerns me we don't really seem to be evolving, there is a theme to these kinda games. It would great to be able to win these matches in a way more commensurate with our league positions occasionally.

Then you watch the rest of the goals in the division and the defences seem shite, mistakes all over. Yet play us, and they all play like team full of Baresi's, quite annoying.

48 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

We nearly always find a way to win these type of games, don’t care if it’s 1-0 or 6-0. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Which is true, but we had same issues against these types of teams regardless of the pitch to be fair.

Just concerns me we don't really seem to be evolving, there is a theme to these kinda games. It would great to be able to win these matches in a way more commensurate with our league positions occasionally.

Then you watch the rest of the goals in the division and the defences seem shite, mistakes all over. Yet play us, and they all play like team full of Baresi's, quite annoying.

Can’t argue with any of that, sure IE will be frustrated that we are 9th in the goals scored league table, this time last year we were leaking to many goals and he’s sorted the defence out this season. In IE we trust

1 hour ago, Stevowanderer said:

Oh dear, triggered

28 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Yeah the pitch isn’t helping but it looked a bit better than it did a few weeks ago. Hopefully it can keep improving for the run in as we get some better weather.

24 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I think we are evolving though… we had Dapo and Charles up front for a while … both quite small. When Bod was fit for a few games we went a little more direct and I think we have recruited Adeboyejo and Jerome for exactly that. We haven’t seen enough from them yet as they’ve only just signed but I think we will see that evolution going forward. Evatt is constantly striving for those marginal gains and I think he’s gone from being a football purist to someone who is more adaptable as he evolves as a manager. We still have an identity but we are definitely better defensively this season, we are looking a bit more dangerous on set pieces and we even used a long throw (he said in interviews how much he hated long throws in league 2).

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

As someone previously stated against these type of teams score early and we will batter them and that is why they play like they do against us to frustrate and disrupt which they know affects our play. 

Someone should tell Evatt "We need to score early when we play these types of teams". Problem solved. We'd piss the League if it weren't for this tactical blind spot he's got.

9 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Yeah the pitch isn’t helping but it looked a bit better than it did a few weeks ago. Hopefully it can keep improving for the run in as we get some better weather.

I think we are evolving though… we had Dapo and Charles up front for a while … both quite small. When Bod was fit for a few games we went a little more direct and I think we have recruited Adeboyejo and Jerome for exactly that. We haven’t seen enough from them yet as they’ve only just signed but I think we will see that evolution going forward. Evatt is constantly striving for those marginal gains and I think he’s gone from being a football purist to someone who is more adaptable as he evolves as a manager. We still have an identity but we are definitely better defensively this season, we are looking a bit more dangerous on set pieces and we even used a long throw (he said in interviews how much he hated long throws in league 2).

Generally I agree, we are definitely moving forward. Is just these kinda games we struggle.

Just frustrating the amount of times the ball gets recycled down each side and back again in these matches without us getting anywhere near goal, we have loads of opportunities to provide a conventional cross but always seem to stop and play it back?? Add that to a reluctance to shoot, but well done Dempsey!!

You're right though, Evatt has realised somethings wrong and hopefully the new signings will improve matters.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

In the last month Plymouth  stuck 4  past Cheltenham, Derby stuck 3 past them. Bolton don't create many chances and don't score many goals because they are too negative in my opinion. John, Toal, Santos Jones, Bradley is one too many defenders and the reason for the lack of chances and goals, not the tactics of Cheltenham.

It's difficult to call John a defender as he was usually not bothering to track back. And Bradley is mainly an offensive option. 

• Site Supporter

During one of the many stoppages late on yesterday, I noticed Jerome signalling to either Toal or Santos to start playing the ball over the top to give him and Charles something to go after.

It might not be pretty but you have to get a back line of 5 turned and facing their own goal, it panics them

We struggle against these teams because they defend deep and pack their box which doesn’t help us when we have to try and walk the ball into the net.

How many shots at goal yesterday? How many on target? If you don’t shoot you don’t score.

I’m not saying that we should keep taking potshots from 25yds, but mix it up FFS. Not every goal can be a free flowing 20-pass move. 
Dempsey hit one from outside the box yesterday and scored. Shoretire had a couple of occasions when he could have shot but looked to pass instead.

We can't blame the pitch. Half the games are away anyhow and they're a mixed bag so we have to be able to at least go for the one touch passing game and get shots off quicker regardless of the surface. Even the short highlights clip shows that we failed to get shots on target when we had the chance - mainly Dion who was taking too many touches. He worked relentlessly but when the team only gets 3 shots on target the entire game despite dominating the ball he has to be encouraged to shoot on sight more - if it bobbles, it bobbles but worry about that later because getting his shots off quicker will at least give us a chance of a goal, deflection, FK, pen, corner whatever - whereas waiting for it to sit up perfectly just allows for an easy block and we get nowt.

When Cheltenham beat us at their place earlier in the season we got ZERO shots on target and the week before that we only managed two when FGR beat us so I suppose there's been some improvement in that department, but we have to have a go and ideally get an early goal to force teams to play.

Thank God Goodwin muffed that header and Toal got back for that clearance because we actually could have lost this game. It's up to the manager to sharpen us up going forward now.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

During one of the many stoppages late on yesterday, I noticed Jerome signalling to either Toal or Santos to start playing the ball over the top to give him and Charles something to go after.

It might not be pretty but you have to get a back line of 5 turned and facing their own goal, it panics them

In one.

Even if the win the first header, you have the chance to compete for it around the edge of their box.