Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

High School Prom

DazBob

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

My lad started a job as soon as his exams finished. Earning really good money and I top it up a bit as I’d only have to be giving him spends anyway.

Little shit has more spare cash than me now. He loves the work as well and is picking up loads of extra shifts.

loads of his mates are struggling to find work though, I’d have thought there’s be plenty knocking about for 16 year olds 

Loads of bars and cafes only have 18 year olds now 🤦‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

My lad started a job as soon as his exams finished. Earning really good money and I top it up a bit as I’d only have to be giving him spends anyway.

Little shit has more spare cash than me now. He loves the work as well and is picking up loads of extra shifts.

loads of his mates are struggling to find work though, I’d have thought there’s be plenty knocking about for 16 year olds 

Yes loads struggling to find 

primark McDonald’s kfc etc was hammering indeed a month ago but positions now gone

shes in for a shock pissed myself the other day ‘if I don’t feel up to a shift do I have to go in’😀 wouldn’t mind only contracted to 16 hours a week 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

Yes loads struggling to find 

primark McDonald’s kfc etc was hammering indeed a month ago but positions now gone

shes in for a shock pissed myself the other day ‘if I don’t feel up to a shift do I have to go in’😀 wouldn’t mind only contracted to 16 hours a week 

😆😆

lad is on a zero hours contract so can accept or decline shifts each week when the rota is produced. Not a fan of zero hours in most cases but it works at his age.

Have to give him credit, he’s not missed any shifts yet and is always ready on time and willing to do extra hours. There’s probably a bird there he fancies that’s keeping him on his toes.

• Site Supporter

My 17 year old did McDonalds for 6 months then quit because management were utter incompetent wankers. Walked straight into another job at a highstreet retailer which pays more and is far more relaxed. Managed to get shifts that worked around college, and is now doing 5 days a week during the summer holidays, plus another side job on a Sunday while saving up for a car. Couldn't be any more proud.

43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

We just been sent a thing for a trip to Madrid for £750. Its shit as that £750 could pay for a proper holiday with his family.

My nephew, about 3 years ago brought home a letter for a school trip...to Japan. It was about £2500. Apparently loads of kids went, he didn't. 

2 hours ago, DazBob said:

Schools really should think long and hard about what parents are expected to cough up.  Rivvy and Blackrod had a school trip to ... wait for it ... New York, earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

My nephew, about 3 years ago brought home a letter for a school trip...to Japan. It was about £2500. Apparently loads of kids went, he didn't. 

Jnr's school trip was to China...

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

My 17 year old did McDonalds for 6 months then quit because management were utter incompetent wankers. Walked straight into another job at a highstreet retailer which pays more and is far more relaxed. Managed to get shifts that worked around college, and is now doing 5 days a week during the summer holidays, plus another side job on a Sunday while saving up for a car. Couldn't be any more proud.

Belting. Im having my lads out as soon as they're old enough on Saturday mornings and school holidays. 

Our peg had nightmares with younger staff when she had the pub. They just didnt want the hours. It was jnn an area where they were good for money etc, they had the bank of mum&dad to fall back on.  None of em would turn in on a Sunday.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, DazBob said:

Rivvy and Blackrod had a school trip to ... wait for it ... New York, earlier this year.

Of course they did. I’m sure Traf will concur here, I’m sure when arranging group travel you’d get a free trip for every x-number of paying customers. Ideally, they’d split the cost of the freebies to give everyone a slightly cheaper trip but somehow, I doubt that’ll happen.

11 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Off course school trips are in ace places.

The teachers go for nowt.

I'd rather stay home than have to take a group of 30-odd 15 year olds on a trip anywhere.

No thank you.

Those Spanish kids that stop outside tube entrances at rush hour, some of their teachers have almost ended up on the rails. Fuera de mi camino pablo!

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'd rather stay home than have to take a group of 30-odd 15 year olds on a trip anywhere.

No thank you.

Those Spanish kids that stop outside tube entrances at rush hour, some of their teachers have almost ended up on the rails. Fuera de mi camino pablo!

Me too. I always avoided them

Plenty of volunteers though.

The ski trip was a massive piss up that sounded downright debauched.

13 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Me too. I always avoided them

Plenty of volunteers though.

The ski trip was a massive piss up that sounded downright debauched.

Remember when my mum was on a school trip to the lakes. The NQT's got the whole group (kids included) kicked out of the hotel for being pissed up. She woke up to be told they all had to go home, expected to hear the kids snuck out or something to be faced with a load of hungover 20-year olds!

25 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Do they still do foreign exchange students?

All a bit weird all that innit.

Daughter starts French A level next year and she has just informed me that she is down to do it with a school in Paris.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Cheese said:

That's what a bit of self confidence does for you. Well done that young person.

'A' for effort.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

I did that in my 3rd year.

Went to France for 2 weeks and he came here for 2.

Worked an absolute treat- my French speaking improved more in 2 weeks than in the previous 2 and a bit years.

Well worth it.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I did that in my 3rd year.

Went to France for 2 weeks and he came here for 2.

Worked an absolute treat- my French speaking improved more in 2 weeks than in the previous 2 and a bit years.

Well worth it.

That's what I said before.

Mind you I went for a 'day trip' to France.

I spent time the journey to Dover listening to Nevermind on a loop with my mate. Then the school bully having an argument with a local selling him caps.

Learnt tit all. God bless comps.

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

Of course they did. I’m sure Traf will concur here, I’m sure when arranging group travel you’d get a free trip for every x-number of paying customers. Ideally, they’d split the cost of the freebies to give everyone a slightly cheaper trip but somehow, I doubt that’ll happen.

Correct

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Yeah, we had German students stay with us three years in a row.

We did a school trip to France for a week, year 10's/11's, 1998. Load of us got pissed on the first night on vodka one of the lads managed to slip off and get served for. 2 girls spewing up all over the place, scene of absolute carnage when the teachers heard what was going on and came in to shut it down. 

Still remember hearing one teacher say to the others at breakfast the next morning, "well at least the drama is done with early in the trip". Little did they expect 3 of the lads to be arrested for shop lifting a couple days later. 

What do you expect when you take feral young lads from haliwell/J Fold away for the first time without their parents (who didn't really give a shit either) 😂

10 hours ago, gonzo said:

Belting. Im having my lads out as soon as they're old enough on Saturday mornings and school holidays. 

Our peg had nightmares with younger staff when she had the pub. They just didnt want the hours. It was jnn an area where they were good for money etc, they had the bank of mum&dad to fall back on.  None of em would turn in on a Sunday.

Heard from a very good source at a well known popular Bolton pub the young people he employed would relay any kind of reprimand to their parents and he would get their wrath.  Similarly wealthy area.