Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (H)

Bertie

11 hours ago, tomski said:

Thomason can pass a ball like no other in our team.

Lol.

He can only dream about being about able to pass a ball like Sheehan.

90% of the time he plays the ball straight back from where it came because he picks it up in a poor position, 5% of the time he plays a nice first time ball, generally up the wing and the other 5% of the time he tries a through ball that gets cut out every time.

His long range passing is possibly his best feature, I’ll give you that, but it’s not saying much.

It’s no coincidence that Dempsey and Sheehan have looked bang average with GT playing in the deep midfield role - he isn’t good enough to get the ball off the defence and get them involved.

One million fucking pounds. Jesus wept.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Lol.

90% of the time he plays the ball straight back from where it came because he picks it up in a poor position, 5% of the time he plays a nice first time ball, generally up the wing and the other 5% of the time he tries a through ball that gets cut out every time.

His long range passing is possibly his best feature, I’ll give you that, but it’s not saying much.

It’s no coincidence that Dempsey and Sheehan have looked bang average with GT playing in the deep midfield role - he isn’t good enough to get the ball off the defence and get them involved.

Absolutely this. No one else can do it.

He spreads the play well GT which is a good thing to have in your armoury when we’re trying to move the ball quickly and get down the sides of teams who are sat in. But Sheehan overall is the best footballer we have. 

it’s just a pity that generally when the ball does go out wide the wing backs check back in and go back to start building again. Takes all the impetus out of the move 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Lol.

He picks the ball up in "difficult positions" because that's what Evatt's game plan involves.

Motd did a piece on Brighton the other week, with them employing precisely the same tactics. They sucked in opposition midfielders then played a longer pass to an overlapping player to get in behind.

They're obviously better at it than we are, and he may not be the best at it, but someone has to show for that initial pass out of defence- whether it be Sheehan, Thomason or anyone else.

He could hide and not show for the ball I suppose but it clearly isn't in his character to do so.

On 29/09/2023 at 14:30, DougStanhope said:

You play in a soulless industrial estate, the antithesis of traditional working class football. 

Ironically, the retail park is exactly what the Piatak family would wish for given their stated commitment to "building the infrastructure" and their roots steeped in the American sportsday experience.

In our case, we have become a more inclusive community club, because we are based in a high population, low catchment area surrounded by other clubs competing for fans - so in making the game more of a "family day out" with retail shopping, restaurants and cinema etc we have escaped the male dominated traditional "working class football" stigma that limited our options - and having a stadium with community events and concerts etc is mutually beneficial for the club and the retailers that surround it so in that sense it's a broad partnership that includes the Council and local businesses.

In your case, Brunton Park's expansion is limited by it's location - unless the Council are ready to do something radical about the residential houses and golf course so it will be interesting to see what they do with the ground if they don't relocate.

Norwich are successful because like you they have a massive catchment area with no competition for fans but have focused on "community" and "matchday experience" and like us, have retail, cinema and restaurants on the doorstep - and I would imagine that the Piatak's would want something similar for Carlisle - unless of course they just want to knock Brunton Park down and turn it into an HQ for their massive American Logistics company, ideally positioned between England and Scotland with great motorway access? :)

10 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it was fairly well known May wanted a move closer to home

I understand that, but, sometimes you just have to give it a try, unless Evatt didnt see May as a player who would fit into his system. Having said that it looks like May would get goals in any team in the lower leagues.

30 minutes ago, woolli said:

I understand that, but, sometimes you just have to give it a try, unless Evatt didnt see May as a player who would fit into his system. Having said that it looks like May would get goals in any team in the lower leagues.

Anyway, back on topic, home win on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He picks the ball up in "difficult positions" because that's what Evatt's game plan involves.

Motd did a piece on Brighton the other week, with them employing precisely the same tactics. They sucked in opposition midfielders then played a longer pass to an overlapping player to get in behind.

They're obviously better at it than we are, and he may not be the best at it, but someone has to show for that initial pass out of defence- whether it be Sheehan, Thomason or anyone else.

What I don't understand is why teams try and press us high, that is what we want and encouraging them to do it. So why do some teams accommodate us? 

While we may fuck it up occasionally, we look devoid of ideas when teams just go and get their shape, sit-in, minimise all the space in their half, and wait for us to stop pissing about with it at the back.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

What I don't understand is why teams try and press us high, that is what we want and encouraging them to do it. So why do some teams accommodate us? 

While we may fuck it up occasionally, we look devoid of ideas when teams just go and get their shape, sit-in, minimise all the space in their half, and wait for us to stop pissing about with it at the back.

I suppose it depends upon what an opposition manager feels is the best thing for his players to do.

Stevenage had a go, and caused us plenty of problems.

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Oh I don’t know, we didn’t half struggle at times on Tuesday when Stevenage were quick to close down the back three. 

12 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Dan's first touch is as bad as I've seen from a professional footballer. 

It certainly is, what I don’t understand is why our coaches can’t sort that, soft foot draw it back an inch or 2 as you receive the ball, something you teach 6 year olds. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It certainly is, what I don’t understand is why our coaches can’t sort that, soft foot draw it back an inch or 2 as you receive the ball, something you teach 6 year olds. 

If you get chance, watch the utd u21 goals again.

Sheehan's finish from outside the box, watch Dan's movement. The ball initially is partly cleared, the players move out except Dan. He dawdles and isn't switched on to the fact the Sheehan has picked it up.

OK the lad smacks it in, but a striker should always be looking to get back and be available for a little through ball, and he isn't alive to it.

He did score a couple and showed some ability, but at times it's as if his head is somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you get chance, watch the utd u21 goals again.

Sheehan's finish from outside the box, watch Dan's movement. The ball initially is partly cleared, the players move out except Dan. He dawdles and isn't switched on to the fact the Sheehan has picked it up.

OK the lad smacks it in, but a striker should always be looking to get back and be available for a little through ball, and he isn't alive to it.

He did score a couple and showed some ability, but at times it's as if his head is somewhere else.

He just doesn’t look a footballer to me, no footballing brain, technically poor but physically he’s very capable, if only he’d use his pace power and strength… got their hands full making a player out of him. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

36 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Oh I don’t know, we didn’t half struggle at times on Tuesday when Stevenage were quick to close down the back three. 

Granted, I get that and they did. But I think my point still stands, if a team wants to encourage you up the pitch, why oblige them?

I think it was Exeter last year, they tried it and we battered then, many teams have sat in and we struggle.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Granted, I get that and they did. But I think my point still stands, if a team wants to encourage you up the pitch, why oblige them?

I think it was Exeter last year, they tried it and we battered then, many teams have sat in and we struggle.

To repeat; maybe he wanted to have a go as he felt it was their best bet for a win. Had they sat back we may have won more comfortably, no one knows.

What we do know is that they could and possibly should have got something from the game. 

We struggled to get a win.

4 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

He spreads the play well GT which is a good thing to have in your armoury when we’re trying to move the ball quickly and get down the sides of teams who are sat in. But Sheehan overall is the best footballer we have. 

it’s just a pity that generally when the ball does go out wide the wing backs check back in and go back to start building again. Takes all the impetus out of the move 

Williams does this over and over. Does my fuckin head in.

Hes beat his man then turns inside to do it again.

Attack over.

We are definitely guilty of overplaying it when we get in the final third and that partially comes down to bringing the ball back again. Wouldn't mind too much if it resulted in a shot on goal but it usually doesn't and we end up trying to tippy tappy it through a packed defence.

3 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I kind of see where you're coming from here when we play the really weak teams in the division, but when we play the medium/better teams it's the exact opposite. They do the press high well and we make mistakes and get punished. 

We've already seen it this season with Wigan, and nearly saw it with Stevenage this week, but the prime example was last season v Ipswich. They bullied us out of the game by playing high, and that's why teams with above medium level in this league try it against us.

Bottom line is we need more variety in our play to beat either opposition

You would expect the Back 3 in training to be pressed when they’re playing through their “processes” but to what intensity that is I’ve no idea because when it comes to game time and they’re being pressed for real they completely lose their heads. It almost a look of bewilderment that someone is closing them down when they’re on the ball 

whether there’s an arrogance / cockiness or naivety there i don’t know but it’s almost as if they expect every team to come here and just let us have the ball

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

You would expect the Back 3 in training to be pressed when they’re playing through their “processes” but to what intensity that is I’ve no idea because when it comes to game time and they’re being pressed for real they completely lose their heads. It almost a look of bewilderment that someone is closing them down when they’re on the ball 

whether there’s an arrogance / cockiness or naivety there i don’t know but it’s almost as if they expect every team to come here and just let us have the ball

They certainly ought to have a means at their disposal to deal with it!

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Ironically, the retail park is exactly what the Piatak family would wish for given their stated commitment to "building the infrastructure" and their roots steeped in the American sportsday experience.

In our case, we have become a more inclusive community club, because we are based in a high population, low catchment area surrounded by other clubs competing for fans - so in making the game more of a "family day out" with retail shopping, restaurants and cinema etc we have escaped the male dominated traditional "working class football" stigma that limited our options - and having a stadium with community events and concerts etc is mutually beneficial for the club and the retailers that surround it so in that sense it's a broad partnership that includes the Council and local businesses.

In your case, Brunton Park's expansion is limited by it's location - unless the Council are ready to do something radical about the residential houses and golf course so it will be interesting to see what they do with the ground if they don't relocate.

Norwich are successful because like you they have a massive catchment area with no competition for fans but have focused on "community" and "matchday experience" and like us, have retail, cinema and restaurants on the doorstep - and I would imagine that the Piatak's would want something similar for Carlisle - unless of course they just want to knock Brunton Park down and turn it into an HQ for their massive American Logistics company, ideally positioned between England and Scotland with great motorway access? :)

You could be right lad, it would be a sad day indeed if we moved to an identikit retail park ground and I'm glad it hasn't happened as of yet.

I'm also fearing the potential Americanisation. 

Give me a sports washing Arab any day.