Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale L32 Pizza

L/H White

• Moderators
  • Five yellows accumulated before match week 19 results in a one-match ban.
  • Ten yellows accumulated by week 32 will result in a two-match ban.
  • Fifteen yellows by week 38 means a three-match ban.
  • Twenty yellows in a season can result in the Regulatory Commission punishing the player in a manner that they deem to be most fitting.

Generally, the suspensions laid out above refer to league matches only, not tournaments.

2 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Says who?

Ian Evatt - the guy who picks the team - and has consistently picked Bod to a) come on after Vic has run the defence ragged and b) to start against crap teams in e.g. cup matches to date - as per the original point I made.

Which is exactly why I would be surprised if he starts against Pompey. Of course Evatt could change what he's been doing for months for this game, but I'm just saying it seems unlikely.

Why is it unlikely that Bod will start? Perhaps because like me, he sees Bod as an "impact player" who simply can't keep up the required workrate that Vic has in the first hour, but is useful at holding the ball up and scoring a few goals towards the end of the game.

And let's be honest, Bod hasn't shown that he can compete effectively for 90 minutes since his early days at Millwall and he hasn't had what could be described as a decent goal return since he peaked at Reading before that.

He's back up to an almost a 1 goal in 5 player for us but that's only because he's been used strategically in a specific system at specific times by Evatt which has maximised his potential - so changing that would be daft and wouldn't do BWFC or Bod any favours.

We all wish our regular strikers had Bod's eye for goal and striking ability but players who have the athleticism and engine required plus natural instinct of that calibre are expensive - but Bod has the finesse without the engine, hence is used sparingly.

Edited by Wanderlust

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Ian Evatt - the guy who picks the team - and has consistently picked Bod to a) come on after Vic has run the defence ragged and b) to start against crap teams in e.g. cup matches to date - as per the original point I made.

Which is exactly why I would be surprised if he starts against Pompey. Of course Evatt could change what he's been doing for months for this game, but I'm just saying it seems unlikely.

Why is it unlikely that Bod will start? Perhaps because like me, he sees Bod as an "impact player" who simply can't keep up the required workrate that Vic has in the first hour, but is useful at holding the ball up and scoring a few goals towards the end of the game.

And let's be honest, Bod hasn't shown that he can compete effectively for 90 minutes since his early days at Millwall and he hasn't had what could be described as a decent goal return since he peaked at Reading before that.

He's back up to an almost a 1 goal in 5 player for us but that's only because he's been used strategically in a specific system at specific times by Evatt which has maximised his potential - so changing that would be daft and wouldn't do BWFC or Bod any favours.

We all wish our regular strikers had Bod's eye for goal and striking ability but players who have the athleticism and engine required plus natural instinct of that calibre are expensive - but Bod has the finesse without the engine, hence is used sparingly.

Evatt has been managing him due to coming back from a bad injury not on his ability or lack of an engine and certainly not because he is not ready for our big games. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

It would surprise me. His job is to come on after Vic has run the defence ragged or start against crap teams.

Starting in big games is not in his job description these days.

His job is to play whenever selected.

Evatt's job is to pick the best team for a game.

The fact that he didn't play last night, is a clear indication that he is still being protected by Evatt, and also that he is now being considered as more key to the first team as we approach the busy Christmas period, as his fitness has improved. 

He may not start at Portsmouth, but the chances he will must be increasing because of his performances. 

16 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Round 16 takes place week commencing 4th January which is a Thursday. I assume teams who are knocked out of FA Cup will play on the 6th if their league game is called off and everyone else will play the following week?

I think the 4th must be a typo on that site

9 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Evatt has been managing him due to coming back from a bad injury not on his ability or lack of an engine and certainly not because he is not ready for our big games. 

Is that what Evatt told you then?

Surprising as Bod came back from the bad injury 5 months ago and was back in full training in the last week of July.

Look - I don't know what Evatt thinks about him, but I do know the role he has been given since he came back which, as I have said, is late sub and only starting a few cup matches against opposition further down the pyramid.

Evatt has also mentioned several times about his strategy of wearing down the opposition defence, a role Vic is better equipped to do despite his relatively poor control - so, as I also said, I'd be surprised if Evatt changes his MO and JDB starts this game - unless Dan's injury causes him to rejig everything.

• Site Supporter

Somewhat obtuse.

Iirc, the manager has made reference to getting players back fully fit, and also cocking up with Dempsey. 

It is also clear that over time, Bid in particular has started to look sharper, and as a result, is getting more time.

Don't need to be in contact with anyone to interpret what your eyes tell you.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't blame the owners etc for using the media to enhance their cause, but for sure there is plenty of cock sucking going on.

Aye 

But when the Hollywood actors took over, did they ever dream of getting through to the next round of the Bristol Motors cup and the next round as a dream tie

57 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Is that what Evatt told you then?

Surprising as Bod came back from the bad injury 5 months ago and was back in full training in the last week of July.

Look - I don't know what Evatt thinks about him, but I do know the role he has been given since he came back which, as I have said, is late sub and only starting a few cup matches against opposition further down the pyramid.

Evatt has also mentioned several times about his strategy of wearing down the opposition defence, a role Vic is better equipped to do despite his relatively poor control - so, as I also said, I'd be surprised if Evatt changes his MO and JDB starts this game - unless Dan's injury causes him to rejig everything.

You are the one saying that playing in big matches is not in Bods CV anymore you absolute knob. All I’m saying is how do you know. Only the manager really knows.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Somewhat obtuse.

Iirc, the manager has made reference to getting players back fully fit, and also cocking up with Dempsey. 

It is also clear that over time, Bid in particular has started to look sharper, and as a result, is getting more time.

Don't need to be in contact with anyone to interpret what your eyes tell you.

im not sure thats exactly what he said

cant remember the exact words, but im fairly sure it was along the lines of i had no real options at the time and dempsey wanted to play cos he knew how stretched we were

maybe i read it wrong, but i dont remeber us having dempsey on the pitch and a bench full of lads we thought should be starting

• Moderators

regardless, i still dont see him starting, be it tactical or injury management

and, if charles was unavailable for a few weeks, id much prefer JDB to replace him than anybody else

keep the fucker fit  :)

could you imagine losing em both in 90 minutes