Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leyton Orient (A)

Leyther_Matt

2 hours ago, Zico said:

And cogley 

Be surprised if we don't bring in a RWB

We do have Mathieson and Jones as RWBs, we won't be bringing another in.  Not as if Cogley is picking up niggling injuries or even likely to get a ban, nobody decent is coming in just to sit on the bench instead  of Mathieson for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Bod is a good player but Luton replay and today he was bobbins

Agree he didn't settle into the Luton game, worst I've seen him play this season, but even then he won 2 headers that found teammates that Vic isn't capable of. 

I disagree on today, I can easily recall half a dozen times he got possession and used it well, it was chalk and cheese to what we saw from Charles and Vic.  But we don't have to agree, just my take on it.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree he didn't settle into the Luton game, worst I've seen him play this season, but even then he won 2 headers that found teammates that Vic isn't capable of. 

I disagree on today, I can easily recall half a dozen times he got possession and used it well, it was chalk and cheese to what we saw from Charles and Vic.  But we don't have to agree, just my take on it.

I agree with you entirely. The cushioned header to put Jerome through, but, Jerome being Jerome.

The easiest thing is trying to pretend you care when all you are really trying to do is wind the people up who really do care.

For those involved no explanation is necessary, for those who aren’t no explanation is possible.

UTW.

Edited by captainmed

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We all see things differently, I thought Bod was quality. Intelligent, composed hold up play and quick accurate passing, generally. Never heard him described as a lump 😆

Bod did absolutely fuck all today, Jerome did more. 

5 minutes ago, Stig said:

That game had nothing to do with tiredness. Was all about bottle - when a team pressures us into mistakes, we for sure make them. The team still has so little backbone 

Its not just physical tiredness, its mental too.  To be clear I'm not making lame excuses for Morley's shot being nearer to a block of flats than the cross bar, or his corners being woeful.  I'm just suggesting that a team that's only got 3 games in a month may have 10% more focus on a game and 10% more zip about their play, and won't have to think about taking their top scorer off after an hour because he's got a game 3 days later.  Its small margins and we aren't good enough to win away games at top half teams if we aren't on our game (still no goal scored at a top 10 team).

Just back........& worst performance of the season, we stopped playing football.

Instead we played a ridiculous number of useless long balls forward ( the "geddit forward " gobbins should be happy ) which bypassed Thomason & Sheehan & played into Orient's hands,the front 2 got next to no service & the wing backs did nothing going forward. When we did play a bit of football we created the 2 big chances !!!!

With injuries mounting up, a fixture backlog, today's pisspoor performance & still fucking about in the mickey mouse cup,  I fear we're going to miss out on the top 2 & going into the play offs on a downer would be hopeless.

A win on Tuesday ( or maybe a good night's sleep ) might bring some optimism back !!!

A bit more time to reflect upon it, yet all it brings back is how friggin painful watching that game was, we really had no composure and it felt like all the players were playing with wooden legs.

Optimistically, that performance was beyond horrendous yet because so, without tempting fate, I really doubt we will play so poorly again this season. The loss to Pompey and Bristol were bad, but at least Pompey we played well 1st half and Bristol was a red card incident. This felt more along the lines of the Carlisle game. 

This game was just a shambles, starting from the back. None of the defenders/midfielders were willing to take a risk or able to play through Leyton Orients press and just did the same thing for 97 minutes. I was yelling at frustration on particularly the back 3s reluctance to just take a extra touch or even try and play it simple. Orient pressed well yes, but the key is to be brave and play through the press and unlock the space. We didn't do any of that, just aimless balls easy to defend.

We're still in a great position in the table, but it definitely feels that there is a serious mentality issue in the squad. When we win, we look excellent and dominant, when we lose, it's really poor and usually when we go a goal behind, we never have the belief to come back and win the game. We hardly ever win a game from a losing position, unlike Peterborough and Pompey. 

When we concede an early yellow and then Charles misses a sitter you just know what's to come.

I've already made my opinions about some the members of the squad for a while now and although our starting XI is strong, we really need to bolster the squad.

My question is, when we do need to make changes, are we bringing on any players that are either improving or capable of bettering our game?

When I see players such as Morley, Williams and Jerome coming on, I personally don't have any confidence that these players can help us win a game, nor do I see anything from any of them consistently enough to help us win a game.

I know fatigue and fresh legs is a huge component. But I firmly believe that there has to be better players for us in this league that can help us change a game when needed. 

Reinforcements needed, but still in a great position for promotion.

Tuesday and Carlisle away next weekend are massive and must wins.

Edited by Lostock Whites

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Ouch. Mind you, I paid similar in a pub in Leytonstone then someone pointed out you got a free pint if you download their app ☠️ 

Just looked on my Apple Pay and yesterday cost a bomb

Add a woeful performance and nearly getting my head stuck in a tube door all good😀

we go again at Carlisle

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not much to say. All comes down to the finishing of Charles (or lack of).

Bang on Bolty. Dissect the rest of it all you like, we won’t play our best every game and that will be one of our worst this season - but Charles scores 2 chances that he absolutely should and we win the game and it’s onto the next.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We do have Mathieson and Jones as RWBs, we won't be bringing another in.  Not as if Cogley is picking up niggling injuries or even likely to get a ban, nobody decent is coming in just to sit on the bench instead  of Mathieson for the rest of the season.

Yeah forgot about him 

Cogley must be fucked though 

LWB seems to change every other game, or gets rotated a lot whereas he plays all game every game

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Yeah forgot about him 

Cogley must be fucked though 

LWB seems to change every other game, or gets rotated a lot whereas he plays all game every game

Same last year - it’s because Bradley / JDC are capable and our LWB options aren’t. 

This comment of Evatt's about not guaranteeing game time is an interesting one, can certainly see why he'd say it, if he feels clubs / players are trying to dictate the terms of deals to him. Does raise a question for me though of whether he sees Jan window activity as just giving us numbers, as he's satisfied with his first picks in all positions, or whether he sees an issue in a position, or more generally with how we're playing, and wants whoever he brings in to be upgrades. 

Looking back at previous seasons, 2021 and 2022 windows were real game-changing shake ups as we weren't doing as well as hoped / expected and brought in a number of significant signings. Last season's window added little, certainly in the cases of Mbete, Shoretire and (at the time) Nlundulu, and gave a feel of just supplementing what we had rather than taking it up a notch. 

Not by any means suggesting we suddenly have loads of problem areas to address and another big splurge is needed, we're still in a very good position on paper, but I wonder if yesterday's performance might have prompted a bit of a rethink of plans on the coach home