Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden Park

MancWanderer

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

This shows completely concreted stepping on the Embankment which makes it sometime '76 onward (yet prior to the Normid moment of c. '86) . Prior to that the top half was black coal shale between railway sleepers. l doubt the elf 'n' safety lot would permit that these days.

Heywood Road in Sale is still like that on one side, believe it or not, and Swinton RL get some decent gates there. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

This shows completely concreted stepping on the Embankment which makes it sometime '76 onward (yet prior to the Normid moment of c. '86) . Prior to that the top half was black coal shale between railway sleepers. l doubt the elf 'n' safety lot would permit that these days.

is it colourised or is it showing snow?

when did the 666 become the 4 lane superhighway limited to 23mph as is now?

14 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Heywood Road in Sale is still like that on one side, believe it or not, and Swinton RL get some decent gates there. 

Interesting. Obviously a difference between something pre-existing and a newly made flooring. I remember the shale steps were of notably different heights and actually on them years of wear meant parts were worn low, especially near a barrier.

• Site Supporter
On 01/01/2024 at 12:20, embankment said:

This pic appeared this yearScreenshot_20221008-184322_Twitter.thumb.jpg.f995759695d052b7eaf21e7717dd8d8b.jpg

Looking at the pic, it seems work is being done on the northbound slip road from Raikes Lane. St Peter’s Way opened 1971. I know the Embankment was half cinders and York stone flags when I first started going in 73/4. No tv box on Manchester Rd stand. 

14 minutes ago, Zico said:

Couple spotted online 

Embankment in 1966 and Raikes Lane 

FB_IMG_1704197458607.jpg

FB_IMG_1704199211357.jpg

I was on there FA cup semi Everton v Stretford (top photo!) fourteen yrs old ,never felt the ground coming off , wedged in at shoulder height moving with the throng .

Good result though.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomski said:

An incredible story still to this day.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Wasn't there some plan to make a film about this ? Paul Nicholls was to be involved.

At least 10yrs ago, so must have not followed through.

They did a lot of their research on here.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Wasn't there some plan to make a film about this ? Paul Nicholls was to be involved.

At least 10yrs ago, so must have not followed through.

Bradley Walsh was rumoured to be playing a major part in it at the time

22 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

More like twenty years ago , couldn’t get the funding apparently even though it is a compelling story .

If it had been about the Mancunian mutnitions workers the money men would have been all over it.

I thought they were hoping to get the 'football action' bits filmed before Burnden was demolished, so even longer than that if true.