Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

47 minutes ago, Zico said:

correct

to expect us to sit back and not voice displeasure at the bumming we were bringing on ourselves is a bit mental

Aye rational thinking goes well out of the window when your in the middle of it.

It was frustrating as hell and I was one shouting to speed it up. 

We are all guilty of forgetting we actually have an opposition of equal abilty wanting to stop our every move.

Evatt is a bit precious at times. The crowd wasn’t hounding him or the team. He is the one saying we are the best there is. If we want automatic promotion we need to beat teams at home

I felt a bit sorry for Sheehan yesterday, he never shirked away from being available to receive the ball, but boy was he under the cosh from the short balls from Baxter. He'd always got a Barnsley player up his arse ready to clatter him.

Much of the problems that we create for ourselves at the back isn't actually the short passing and attempts to play out, it's how slow we do it, allowing teams to mark up.

44 minutes ago, Stig said:

Problem for CMG is I don't know where he'd play in a 532/352 system, unless it's another wing back experiment... He'd weaken the midfield too much in the 3 and he's not a striker, and against too much competition anyway there.

Wondered why we'd signed him at the time as he'd work well in a 433/4231 in one of the wide forward positions, but no possible chance of formation change.

Tbf the midfield three tends to have Sheehan deeper and then two further forward, so it wouldn’t be too alien to instead have two players playing a touch deeper and CMG playing in behind the front two. 

4 minutes ago, Traf said:

I felt a bit sorry for Sheehan yesterday, he never shirked away from being available to receive the ball, but boy was he under the cosh from the short balls from Baxter. He'd always got a Barnsley player up his arse ready to clatter him.

Much of the problems that we create for ourselves at the back isn't actually the short passing and attempts to play out, it's how slow we do it, allowing teams to mark up.

It was a thing of beauty how our goal started with Baxter rolling the ball out to Sheehan.

1 minute ago, onefinfrandsen said:

It was a thing of beauty how our goal started with Baxter rolling the ball out to Sheehan.

It was indeed and the goal also highlights how good we are when we move the ball quickly.

Dempsey to Bodvarsson to Collins to Ashworth was 8 seconds from Dempsey to a goal.

There’s a couple of buffoons sitting in east lower who were shouting and screaming till they were red in the face for us to boot it long for the majority of the game.

Our home support hasn’t been great for a long time. It seems a lot of people just expect us to roll over any team that comes. Yesterday was a decent point against a team who’ll at least make the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Traf said:

It was indeed and the goal also highlights how good we are when we move the ball quickly.

Dempsey to Bodvarsson to Collins to Ashworth was 8 seconds from Dempsey to a goal.

Like shifting the gears in a Rolls Royce, not that I’ve ever driven one.😁

28 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yep, that's what we were saying too.

Could have swapped Maghoma & CMG for the last 15 minutes. Maghoma was knackered & doesn't contribute defensively, so nothing to lose.

I said the same on the way home, but once we bought Morley on for Sheehan we had used our 3 slots. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Not the first time he’s had a dig at fans 

Most of the time if not every time it’s critical of home support.
Most of the time if not every time it’s probably justified.

I don’t recall him being anything but complimentary towards the away supporters.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Aye, I've no problem with the short passes 

The problem I had yesterday was it was almost like they weren't looking and checking for a threat before passing it, and then clearly passing it to the wrong person unaware of the threat 

Once is fair enough but don't do it repeatedly

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, tomski said:

You are reading this right but I’m in full agreement with IE. Yes it was difficult to watch but the players were shrinking with the reaction and I’m amazed Barnsley didn’t capitalise.

Baxter saves us so many times.

I think he has made it plain that this is how we're going to play.

I've no problem with it per se, it's just that we have done and will continue to have teams that stop us from doing it.

Whether that will ultimately cost us promotion, who knows.

He will recognise the issue though, and need to find a way for them to impose themselves despite the press.

Perhaps better movement at the right time, maybe improvement in their technique to cope with the press, or maybe individuals who are just that bit better at it.

We've seen when Dion first arrived that he is quite quick, and on more than one occasion got to a ball over the top and behind a back line, before the defenders and scored.

That also means not playing with his back to goal, which he seems weaker at.

Anyway, keep beating the rest and avoid defeat against those around us, and we'll be fine.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Can’t see what part Gomes will play tbh It was the type of game crying out for some individual magic thought this guy might do that 

Both him and Ashworth have had stick, despite not playing much.

Funny how once Ashworth has had more game time, he's starting to show what he can do. 

I've no doubt Gomes would do too, but it's not easy to leave folk out when a team is getting results, just to give someone a bit of game time.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Both him and Ashworth have had stick, despite not playing much.

Funny how once Ashworth has had more game time, he's starting to show what he can do. 

I've no doubt Gomes would do too, but it's not easy to leave folk out when a team is getting results, just to give someone a bit of game time.

Difference with Gomes we payed a decent fee so we would expect to see more involvement, if not it’s another one where you think why did you buy him 

I think that Evatt is stubborn but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. He is committed to a plan and seeing as it’s worked well as evidenced by our current position he has every right to stick with it - stubbornly.

pointing out that what some fans were doing doesn’t help the team and asking them not to do it is not “having a dig at the fans”  - it’s advising the fans how they can help the team.

Which is also a good thing.

Edited by Wanderlust

3 hours ago, CumbrianWhite said:

There’s a couple of buffoons sitting in east lower who were shouting and screaming till they were red in the face for us to boot it long for the majority of the game.

Our home support has been pretty poor for a long time. It seems people just expect us to roll over any team that comes. 

Its been a lot, lot worse than it currently is, even in the Prem days, and definitely in the days of Parky, Dougie and Lennon.  I'd say its very positive generally, the frustration that spilled over at the flawed efforts time after time to get out of our own penalty area yesterday was a rarity, and I thought understandable in the context of how the game was going post-H-T.

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Not the first time he’s had a dig at fans 

He didn’t mention the fact that the noise from our supporters was nearly as loud as the away fans in the minute or two following their goal. Not many teams in league one with 20,000 home fans on who are cheering and supporting a team who have just conceded a pretty school boy goal in the 5th minute.

It’s not meant to sound like a dig at him but he needs to lay off the the fans. He’s professional, he’s doing his job, of course he’s emotionally invested but it’s part of his role to see through that when things are getting tense and trust his process and approach - because from an objective, professional point of view it’ll be the right thing to do.

The 20,000 fans aren’t professional football managers, we aren’t trained to be able to cut through the emotion of what we’re watching, we’re irrational and although some will understand the tactical side more than others, our emotions cause reactions that reflect exactly what is happening.

In that 20 minute period, he was watching a team stick to his style of play, not falling into Barnsley’s trap and probably executing the plans that he’d drawn on his whiteboard all week. We were watching players doing their best to give Barnsley a goal and making the same mistakes over and over again. Fuck the tactics, supporter’s emotions will take over and panic will set in, with the obvious reaction being stop being twats and get that ball away from our goal and reset for 5 mins.

He hasn’t got 20,000 wannabe Pep Guardiola professional managers in the crowd and he really should understand that.

I think Evatts comments are snowballing into him having a massive dig at fans and being blown well out of context.

Fuck me we have some drama queens.

Hes not a local MP who has arse crawl his way through life and say everything you want to hear ffs.

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Really surprised me Ashworth he’s looking a decent player offers more than Williams 

I think IE disagrees.  I can only think its about the relative pace of the 2.  Ashworth played well in possession and physically getting in some good challenges/headers, but IE has always talked about having pacey attacking wingbacks, in the Bradley mould.  Ashworth is not the marauding wingback type, as with Iredale I'd say he is a full back first and foremost whereas Williams is the least defensive "full back" you're likely to see.  Not sure how long he's out but I expect Williams will be back in the team when fit, its not as if Ashworth is a new signing that IE hadn't seen much of previously.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think IE disagrees.  I can only think its about the relative pace of the 2.  Ashworth played well in possession and physically getting in some good challenges/headers, but IE has always talked about having pacey attacking wingbacks, in the Bradley mould.  Ashworth is not the marauding wingback type, as with Iredale I'd say he is a full back first and foremost whereas Williams is the least defensive "full back" you're likely to see.  Not sure how long he's out but I expect Williams will be back in the team when fit, its not as if Ashworth is a new signing that IE hadn't seen much of previously.

Nice bit of mind reading pal.

Give Paul Mckenna a run for his money :D

44 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Nice bit of mind reading pal.

Give Paul Mckenna a run for his money :D

Ha ha 😀

You had me doubting my memory (with some justification) but IE definitely signed Williams for his pace and that isn't Ashworth's (or Iredale's) game

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23231419.ian-evatt-bolton-wanderers-signing-randell-williams-hull-city/