Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Ha ha 😀

You had me doubting my memory (with some justification) but IE definitely signed Williams for his pace and that isn't Ashworth's (or Iredale's) game

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23231419.ian-evatt-bolton-wanderers-signing-randell-williams-hull-city/

Did you see the game?

He wasn’t exactly dragging a bag of sand behind him when he won the race for the cross.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Difference with Gomes we payed a decent fee so we would expect to see more involvement, if not it’s another one where you think why did you buy him 

But Gomes got an injury early doors. Once we'd started well, he's not necessarily getting his place back so quickly. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

But Gomes got an injury early doors. Once we'd started well, he's not necessarily getting his place back so quickly. 

Yeah, not asking him to start but 20 minutes at the end of the game is the way to get him involved surely?

IE needs to keep his mouth shut.

He shouldn’t be talking about us in such a negative way.

We spend shit loads of money & we were nervous as hell watching us make the same mistakes time after time.

it wasn’t particularly negative it was nerves. 
Surely he can understand the difference?

Edited by captainmed

20 minutes ago, captainmed said:

IE needs to keep his mouth shut.

He shouldn’t be talking about us in such a negative way.

We spend shit loads of money & we were nervous as hell watching us make the same mistakes time after time.

it wasn’t particularly negative it was nerves. 
Surely he can understand the difference?

It's just what happens at the football. 

I suppose the trouble is it can transmit to the players and then it becomes a snowball effect. 

Been going on since a ball's been kicked around in front of a crowd, mind. IE must know that. I've no doubt we've benefited from it when the opposition fans have got the jitters when we are winning away.

21 minutes ago, captainmed said:

we were nervous as hell watching us make the same mistakes time after time.

This is the key point.

The moans and grumbles didn't start the first, second or third time we fucked up in a short space of time, it was 4th, 5th, 6th time or whatever.

I was moaning and grumbling at my lads footy before. Doesnt mean I love him any less.

Its just what you do at footy isnt it.

Same with Evatt having a pop, hes just having a little moan too.

All part of the fun innit.

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I was moaning and grumbling at my lads footy before. Doesnt mean I love him any less.

Its just what you do at footy isnt it.

Same with Evatt having a pop, hes just having a little moan too.

All part of the fun innit.

Such a happy clapper 

Edited by L/H White

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Did you see the game?

He wasn’t exactly dragging a bag of sand behind him when he won the race for the cross.

Yes I was there.  Course he wasn't, not sure why you're implying I suggested he was.  Purely talking about different styles of player, like Sheehan is different to Maghoma or Dempsey, it doesn't make one worse than the other.  Williams is a different type of player to any of our other full backs, that's all.

• Moderators

Let’s be mindful of what we are trying to do,” he told The Bolton News. “The way this team plays and the way we function needs confidence and belief. We need to be backed.

“I need to back them and make them feel confident, so do the fans. At times we did make the wrong decisions in possession, but I am sure we will learn from that.

“I think they got nervous and worried, it made it worse and we started making more mistakes and errors.

“Cheering kicking it long is not the right thing to do either.

“I think that plays into their hands with how dominant they are, physically.

“We all care, that is the most important thing. We want this so badly.

“That is a really tough game and they always make it really difficult for us. We have had a lot of disruption this week, some new bodies in there, new players learning a new way of playing. But I was delighted to get back into the game.”

“That is what they want, they want turnovers,” he said. “It doesn’t help kicking it long, either. That is what they want too, because they are physical at the back.

“We want to pick our way through but we need support to be able to do that. We need everyone to be on the same page and I just don’t think it is helpful.

“We weathered that storm, rallied the troops and then took control of the game again and had probably the best moments with Paris (Maghoma) and Aaron (Collins), little bits of pressure.

“It was a good game and they are a good side. We are only going to improve from here.”

• Site Supporter

Some over sensitive souls getting upset with Evatt calling out some gerritup merchants. 

Chill out, click on the thread of of our new strikers assist record, it's very impressive and should put a smile on your face and some positivity into you 

Difference between IE and the fans is that he is paid to get things right.

Coming out with ill thought comments straight after the game are no more help to the cause than the grumbles during it. 

It just feeds the doom merchants who seem happiest when we lose. Anyone with half a brain can see that overall IE is doing a great job and the team are being backed by crazy numbers at home and away.

The slightly pompous views of some that the problem is nothing to do with real fans who go to away games is bollocks. I do plenty and I was angry with the 20 minutes of chaos. Let's remember the 'part timers' who turned up Saturday were paying best part of £30, every right to express their views. 

I get moaning does not help the team but neither does continually giving the opposition the ball as we did. Hopefully some lessons learned on both 'sides'. 

• Site Supporter

I think IE has every right to say what he thinks & hopefully in future it may help when we are having one of those patches..... That said I feel his histrionics at officials don't help the team either when the pressure is on so a bit of introspection on his part might be in order. 

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I keep watching the save at the end- each time I reckon it's going in!

I used to have a goldfish which swam in circles. Each time it reckoned it was a new bit of tank. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

36 minutes ago, desperado said:

Some over sensitive souls getting upset with Evatt calling out some gerritup merchants. 

Chill out, click on the thread of of our new strikers assist record, it's very impressive and should put a smile on your face and some positivity into you 

My lad just showed me some league 1 edits he did from last season. Collins number one in assists.

This lad could be one of our greatest ever signings.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

My lad just showed me some league 1 edits he did from last season. Collins number one in assists.

Exciting times. Really looking forward to seeing his contributions over the next few months. 👏

13 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Nobody on here is interested in assists, apparently 😉 

7 minutes ago, Traf said:

Nobody on here is interested in assists, apparently 😉 

Its only an assist if someone scores, and Charles can't hit a barn door, JDB hasn't scored a league goal all season and presumably Vic will be dropped anyway to allow Collins to do his thing.   Hopefully our LWB keeps up his scoring streak 😀

Joking aside,  I just like watching decent footballers and that's what Collins looks like so bring it on, no pressure to provide assists as such, JDB rarely does but he always increases our chances of scoring a goal just by being a good footballer.

59 minutes ago, Ani said:

Difference between IE and the fans is that he is paid to get things right.

…and that he knows the players personally, sees them every day in training, has knowledge of their mental state, problems they’re facing and what’s on their mind at any particular time, analyses their performance stats, knows what niggles and injuries they might be carrying, sees how they fit in with others and is their boss etc etc….but all that aside, he’s just the same as the fans :)